Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-13-2015, 07:33 PM

Default Wire Worms for Whitefish - All You Ever Wanted to Know - Updated for 2021/2022

For those of you who are thinking about getting into or making a few different W/W's patterns, this may be of interest. It's a rewarding hobby when you make a few and they actually catch fish and lots of different fish, including big fish.

I stopped at Michaels the craft store in R/D to get some wire and glass beads to make a few different W/W patterns. I caught one Walleye and the Burb the other day on RR23 using the 4 yellow/1 red, and another walleye on the brass/dark bead all on a #8 hook. As previously mentioned, seen lots of Whites but none would come in for a closer look ... maybe that Sylvan Gator had something to do with it!

Thought I would try a few color combos in the spirit of the Holiday season and plan to field test them tomorrow on RR23. If none of these produce, then the Candy Kane wraps come out.

Z-z

Bright and Colorful like XMass Lights

Two of my Most Productive Patterns

Assortment of My Creations & some Store Bought

Old 12-13-2015, 07:51 PM

Thanks for the awesome post i make my own wireworms and not only is it fun but really rewarding when you catch a fish on one that you made.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:38 PM

Those WWs with fuzz mixed in have done me well in the past!
Old 12-13-2015, 09:11 PM

You should consider selling them on the side. I know I'd pick up a few.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutter View Post
You should consider selling them on the side. I know I'd pick up a few.
Unfortunately, it's more of a hobby than a business, it's inexpensive & not difficult, the reward is when one of your creations consistently produces fish.

I don't have a problem sharing past experiences, the second pic of the two W/W have really produced a number of Whites, note the bead is on the hook end, that seams to make all the difference, then it's a matter of what line, knot and position they sit when you fish them.

I should add, I fish two W/W's on one rod about 10-12" apart, for Gull I put the brightest colored one on the bottom, it's easier to see when sight fishing over weeds. When things are slow, use a flashy-flutter jigging spoon with a W/W about 12" above the spoon, the flash brings them in, lower the rod, they inhale the W/W.

Something to consider, if your not already making your own W/W's.

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 12-13-2015 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:40 PM

Mhmm whitefish candy.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
For those of you who are thinking about getting into or making a few different W/W's patterns, this may be of interest. It's a rewarding hobby when you make a few and they actually catch fish and lots of different fish, including big fish.

I stopped at Michaels the craft store in R/D to get some wire and glass beads to make a few different W/W patterns. I caught one Walleye and the Burb the other day on RR23 using the 4 yellow/1 red, and another walleye on the brass/dark bead all on a #8 hook. As previously mentioned, seen lots of Whites but none would come in for a closer look ... maybe that Sylvan Gator had something to do with it!

Thought I would try a few color combos in the spirit of the Holiday season and plan to field test them tomorrow on RR23. If none of these produce, then the Candy Kane wraps come out.

Z-z

Bright and Colorful like XMass Lights

Two of my Most Productive Patterns

Assortment of My Creations & some Store Bought

Thanks fer sharin, lot's of hotties at Micheals too, had I only known when I was single!
Old 11-27-2016, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Thanks fer sharin, lot's of hotties at Micheals too, had I only known when I was single!
LOL! Forget the bars, arts and crafts is where it is at. Usually means there is talent there too...
Are those beads in your pocket...
Old 11-27-2016, 10:12 PM

For those asking on what knot to use to tie two w/w on as Zip has shown...here is the knot I use...super simple:

https://youtu.be/4G-autx-iXA

Just always remember to start by feeding the line thru the hook eye from the right direction or else you will have the hook on upside down.

Zip...hope I can meet up with you this season as soon as some good ice gets here!!!

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 11-29-2016, 08:36 PM

Something different … “Glow” - Wire Worms, got the green glow gel beads at TFH sometime ago, I’m hoping they produce in Gull if we have another year of cloudy water clarity.

Snap & W-Bill … You city guys got it all, the craft stores out here mainly have mature ladies dressed in black polka dot uniforms and petticoats.

J&7 … tks for posting …. that’s a solid knot for a tandem W/W rig … trust you got that monster buck & are sharpening every hook in the tackle box, looking forward to catchin up.

Fella’s …. the ice on Sylvan this morning was looking promising, will update the Ice thread in a day or so with more pic’s.

Today’s creations ….

Z-z

Old 11-29-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Snap & W-Bill … You city guys got it all, the craft stores out here mainly have mature ladies dressed in black polka dot uniforms and petticoats.
LOL, don't lump me in with those city slickers. I only work there but live on a full farm some 30 kms out of town.

Glow beads huh...hmm. You have to report back on those. That definitely caught my interest. Probably catch more burbs and perch than whites though at Gull
Old 12-23-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack&7 View Post
For those asking on what knot to use to tie two w/w on as Zip has shown...here is the knot I use...super simple:

https://youtu.be/4G-autx-iXA

Just always remember to start by feeding the line thru the hook eye from the right direction or else you will have the hook on upside down.

Zip...hope I can meet up with you this season as soon as some good ice gets here!!!
Just tried tying a hook on as per the video. Way easier! Thanks for posting!!!!
Old 12-23-2016, 10:50 PM

For those of you who make your own W/W's & have been following this thread, the 3 patterns shown in the pics have consistently caught me a number of Gull Lake Whites over the past three outings .... something worth considering/making.

D.

Old 12-24-2016, 09:27 AM
Banned

Very fine collection of WW's. I did notice that there were no Pink one's. Fellow I fish with swears by pink ww's for Whitefish.
Old 12-24-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Very fine collection of WW's. I did notice that there were no Pink one's. Fellow I fish with swears by pink ww's for Whitefish.
Ninja ... I've tried some store bought pink with no success. Haven't found any pink wire otherwise I would consider making a few different patterns, guess some model paint may work. I'm going to have a look if the Sportsman Den in Red Deer has any, they sell a variety of colors and patterns.

That's a good Q for others here who make their own ... has Pink worked for you & have you found a source for "Pink" wire ?

Tks

D.

Old 12-24-2016, 03:48 PM

Zip....I bought size 10 2x dry fly hooks......in a above pic I thought that's what u used? Do u use dry or nymph hooks?

Tnx

Happy
Old 12-24-2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Ninja ... I've tried some store bought pink with no success. Haven't found any pink wire otherwise I would consider making a few different patterns, guess some model paint may work. I'm going to have a look if the Sportsman Den in Red Deer has any, they sell a variety of colors and patterns.

That's a good Q for others here who make their own ... has Pink worked for you & have you found a source for "Pink" wire ?

Tks

D.

Yes it has worked well for me at times! Some days they love it and some days they don't! The best place I've found the wire was at Homedepot they sell telephone cable and when you open it up there is all sorts of colours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-24-2016, 09:23 PM

2heavy.3long size 10
hook

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2017, 10:24 PM

I made these tonight but having trouble getting the cat5 wire to stay tight.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 11-25-2017, 10:48 PM

[QUOTE=sureshot;3675613]I made these tonight but having trouble getting the cat5 wire to stay tight.[/IMG]

That's odd, I buy Cat 5/6 from Home Depot just for the "Brown" wire, I haven't had that problem before. Maybe they made some spec changes to the product. I'll check some of my white/orange and advise accordingly.

D.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:12 AM

Thanks for the advice Zip

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 11-26-2017, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the reply, think my problem may be very low quality wire. Tight lines fellas
Old 11-26-2017, 03:02 PM

Smile

Another Sunday..Waiting for Sylvan Lake to open
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7233[5959].jpg (13.6 KB, 246 views)
Old 11-26-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawjacker View Post
Another Sunday..Waiting for Sylvan Lake to open

Those look awesome

Old 11-26-2017, 03:07 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
Those look awesome

Thank you sureshot
Old 11-28-2017, 08:39 PM

Guys do you think these bead worms will work on White Fish?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bead worms.jpg (20.0 KB, 138 views)
Old 11-28-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawjacker View Post
Guys do you think these bead worms will work on White Fish?
Of course ... and in the spirit of X-mass colors, too.

I've also caught Walleye, Perch, Pike & a Burb or two on the Yellow/Red bead.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:25 PM
Banned

What lb do most guys prefer to use for whites? 5lb? I have a whole tackle box of wireworms and whitefish is one species I've never really targeted before.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223MB View Post
What lb do most guys prefer to use for whites? 5lb? I have a whole tackle box of wireworms and whitefish is one species I've never really targeted before.
For me, Maxima Ultra Green 8 lb. Extra backbone for those huge whites at Pigeon. Otherwise I do carry some 6lb flouro with me just in case.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:04 AM

My second attempt

Last edited by Hartly; 12-03-2017 at 01:17 AM.