Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-18-2019, 02:19 PM

Default Reloading sst Bullets

Hornadys 6.5 cm 140gr sst bullets.On page 68 Hornadys reloading handbook 10th Edition. It sort of explains because of the cannelure the bullet has to be seated as well as crimped,at the same time.Not as easy as it sounds.Nor an option on seating depth,leaveing quite a "jump".The OAL gauge,dont come into play as with bullets without the cannelure.Seems like iI ammissing something.Any SST reloaders,have anything to add.I tryed a few,so far accuracy not so good.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:01 PM

I’m not familiar with any “reloading for accuracy” shooters that pay any attention to cannelure placement ... or crimp.
A friend sectioned couple of 30 cal bullets ... SST vs Nosler Ballistic Tip ... to compare jacket thickness. Interesting
Old 10-18-2019, 03:13 PM

I load sst in numerous rifles/ calibers. Never use the cannelure or crimp for that matter. Set neck tension at around .002 and seat off the lands whatever works best for accuracy/ fit in mag.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:36 PM

I have loaded SST but not in 6.5. If you really want to seat and crimp the trick is to make sure all cases are trimmed to exactly the same length. This will make sure the crimps are even. Setting the seating dies to crimp at the same time is quite easy. Set the crimp first using an empty case. You can always open the neck back up with the neck or fl sizing die if u need to. The lock the die and adjust depth with the seating stem.

Personally, the only bullets I have ever crimped were in heavy recoiling rifles. If u don't crimp u can completely ignore the cannaleure and where it falls. Just seat the bullets to the COAL. U want.

Best of luck.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:46 PM

What you will find with cannelure location on the bullet us that they are located for seating so that they are meet the Saami specifications for the overall length of the cartridge.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
I’m not familiar with any “reloading for accuracy” shooters that pay any attention to cannelure placement ... or crimp.
A friend sectioned couple of 30 cal bullets ... SST vs Nosler Ballistic Tip ... to compare jacket thickness. Interesting
To compare jacket thickness both bullets would have to cut down the middle. These two are a poor comparison as the Nosler has far less cut off giving the illusion that the jacket is thicker.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-18-2019, 07:07 PM

I was thinking the same thing, the nosler doesnt look like its sectioned as deep at the SST.

The SST bullets also have different jacket thicknesses depending on calibre, so a comparison to the 30 cal jacket is kind of irrelevant.

As far as the original question goes, disregard the cannelure, and i would advise against crimping if you're reloading for accuracy.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:22 PM

I have never paid any attention to the cannelure on a bullet because it is of no consequence when loading anything I have ever used except two of my O/U rifles . My other rifles including the 375 H&H are/were mostly single shots
and do not generate enough recoil for me to worry about them .My most accurate loads have never been near the cannelure fir the most part
Cat
Old 10-18-2019, 08:23 PM

I ignore the cannelure, and I never crimp , unless for handgun, or for use in a tubular magazine.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:00 PM

Default The Throats

Are different on every rifle.I had a couple boxes of factory Federal 140gr Partitions that shot about an inch at 100 yards out of a Mod 70 FWT seated in the cannalure.Pulled the bullets out to touch the rifling and bumped them back a hair.The cannalure was now damned near 1/4" out of the case but they cycled and fit the magazine.Low and behold now shooting into pretty much one ragged hole.Your mileage may vary.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:42 PM

Default Reloading 6.5 sst

Hornadys 10th edition hand book--Page 68-69,Struct me 1st off as a contradiction.Ok then reload a few ignoreing the cannelure.See what the Tikka can do with them.260 guy up to three centre outs on the twoonie--Talk about hard act to follow--Sakes.Not only that you scared all those "riflemen" off.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:10 AM

Default sst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Are different on every rifle.I had a couple boxes of factory Federal 140gr Partitions that shot about an inch at 100 yards out of a Mod 70 FWT seated in the cannalure.Pulled the bullets out to touch the rifling and bumped them back a hair.The cannalure was now damned near 1/4" out of the case but they cycled and fit the magazine.Low and behold now shooting into pretty much one ragged hole.Your mileage may vary.
Not bad at all,matter of fact excellant.Yes the rifle and bullet is a major consideration--Now enter the human factor,some days I am the spoiler.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:23 AM

Default Bullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
To compare jacket thickness both bullets would have to cut down the middle. These two are a poor comparison as the Nosler has far less cut off giving the illusion that the jacket is thicker.
I have used both to good effect--With todays high performance bullets--Its shooter failure not bullet failure,when animals are wounded and lost.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:50 AM

Default SST Reloadind

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have never paid any attention to the cannelure on a bullet because it is of no consequence when loading anything I have ever used except two of my O/U rifles . My other rifles including the 375 H&H are/were mostly single shots
and do not generate enough recoil for me to worry about them .My most accurate loads have never been near the cannelure fir the most part
Cat
Ok then,Snug er up,ignore the cannelure.With the rifles "on".The rut.soon,and yote fur about ready.Your suggestion about field shooting practice,got my attention.So I got one of those rubber orange shooting targets that Jumps when hit.Then start at 100m with the shooting sticks,sit and fire--Pace 25 steps,fire etc.This for sure duplicates field conditions-with the flat shooting 6.5cm--22-250--You can make it jump well out there.You soon realize your limitations,not the rifles--The rifle hits were you point it.The gopher dirt fly rangeing comes into efect.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I ignore the cannelure, and I never crimp.
2x...
Old 10-19-2019, 11:47 AM

Read an article recently, about neck diameter and tension and how it affected accuracy, where the writer had gone from 0 to .008 to see what difference it made, it was near none at all, except on one of the groups shot, which still was more than an adequate group. So, if you are worried about recoil moving bullets, don't be, not on a 6.5. .002 or .003 neck tension is plenty good enough to hold a bullet in a 6.5 whatever. Cannelure may also just be there to help retain the bottom of the core, take a look at the sectioned pics of that bullet, it will tell you if the cannelure is a cosmetic or a structural item on it.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:58 PM

Default sst reloading 140 gr 6.5 cm

With the cannelure "ignored"the bullets were loaded,with very little jump.The tikka,placed then in a very good group.The cannelure a bit odd looking,but this about accuracy not looks.Advice well taken.The bullets seem a little tight on loading,4 times Hornady cases--The bullets were not "touching".It seemed the shoulder was--I know they can be moved back,but the best way to do that,not so sure.Loading of course in the rifle.