Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-14-2011, 06:19 AM

Default Venison Tenderloin

Wanted to share a recipe I did recently. Possibly one of the simplest and best game meals I've ever had.

Here's what you're going to need:
-tenderloin (I had a good sized venison one about 3" think)
-salt, pepper
-fresh diced rosemary
-bacon (enough slices to completely wrap the loin)
-a good glug of olive oil

Warm your oven to 350 degrees F.

Salt & pepper the loin, then rub the rosemary all over it (I used a pretty good amount & it really adds a nice flavour to the meal).

Wrap the loin completely in the bacon. Get your pan good & warmed up, add your olive oil then put the bacon wrapped loin in it. Brown it nicely on all sides.

Throw it into the oven for around 20 minutes (this will vary based on the size of loin you have). When I took it out the temp was 123 degrees F. Tent it in foil for around 10 minutes or so. At this point mine was somewhat under med-rare (Perfect!). Thick slices on the angle & enjoy!

The only thing I didn't do was take a picture of it. Wish I had it looked great.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:07 AM

Sounds simple to do excellent to eat! But no onions or garlic in there....?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-14-2011, 09:05 AM

Sounds good!

I cut them out and put them in a ziplock after field dressing. Throw them in the smoker for a couple hours the second I get home. Finish on the BBQ with a little spice. Sooo good!
Old 01-14-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted canuck View Post
Sounds simple to do excellent to eat! But no onions or garlic in there....?
Good point, would certainly add to it. Aren't those 3 of the canada food guide food groups: onions, garlic, bacon.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:30 AM

sounds excellent, but I would have grilled it...not a fan of pan seared...but that is just me. Thanks for sharing!!
Old 01-14-2011, 09:37 AM

Sounds very close to what I do but I put mine on the BBQ. Its like getting punched in the mouth with flavor. Thanks for sharing. I'll have to try it your way when its too cold to BBQ.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
sounds excellent, but I would have grilled it...not a fan of pan seared...but that is just me. Thanks for sharing!!
I'm a year round griller, but I think the pan with the olive oil helps to get the bacon just right. Maybe I'll try it on the grill sometime, but I don't know it turned out near perfect this way.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:29 AM

Default Rosemary

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshunter View Post
I'm a year round griller, but I think the pan with the olive oil helps to get the bacon just right. Maybe I'll try it on the grill sometime, but I don't know it turned out near perfect this way.
Bar none, rosemary is the herb to use on venison. The only way it could get better is if you could arrange to get some into their diet when they are feeding all summer long.......try it when you are browning up some stew meat venison, just sprinkle some on when it goes into the pan and it adds so much to the flavor of the meat as as well as the stew itself.

C
Old 01-14-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshunter View Post
Good point, would certainly add to it. Aren't those 3 of the canada food guide food groups: onions, garlic, bacon.
Exactly, with the fourth group, beer, to wash it down!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-14-2011, 09:04 PM

Default tenderloin

a regular Martha Stewart there slopes.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:12 PM

[QUOTE=yamaha 1;799305]Sounds very close to what I do but I put mine on the BBQ. Its like getting punched in the mouth with flavor. Thanks for sharing. I'll have to try it your way when its too cold to BBQ.[/QUO

HUH??? What??? To cold to BBQ??? sad day when this is posted on an outdoorsmen forum, I vote lifetime ban!!!
Old 01-14-2011, 10:19 PM

Great now I am hungry again!!!!
Old 01-14-2011, 10:32 PM

[QUOTE=827rotax;800192]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaha 1 View Post
Sounds very close to what I do but I put mine on the BBQ. Its like getting punched in the mouth with flavor. Thanks for sharing. I'll have to try it your way when its too cold to BBQ.[/QUO

HUH??? What??? To cold to BBQ??? sad day when this is posted on an outdoorsmen forum, I vote lifetime ban!!!
Have to agree.
I thought everybody bbq'd year round