Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-04-2019, 05:34 PM

Default My season is done early!

And I haven’t harvested! Dang horse slipped and went down on my leg. Fractured tib and the other small bone. Now I’m laying in bed at the Foothills with a pin in my leg. So my priority 6 antlered Mule deer tag is likely forfeit. Any chance F&W would give me a tag for next year? I did hunt the first week of the season but could they possibly give me a tag for next year from Nov 3rd on? Maybe the meds are making me dream....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E4604C6D-C7D1-437E-934E-9A3B4231FA7D.jpg (21.7 KB, 404 views)
File Type: jpg 50CFED82-D4BA-48E2-835C-ADC30DED7690.jpg (21.5 KB, 261 views)
Old 11-04-2019, 05:37 PM

Ouch, hope you have a speedy recovery. I have heard of tags being redeemable but not during the season that has started. No harm in asking though, it should be easy enough to confirm your condition. lol

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-04-2019, 05:54 PM

At the worst do what I did 12years ago get a good friend to set up a ground blind and help you get there and back. I did not let a plate and 8 screws stop me but I did need extra help. Dr was not a fan of me going hunting with two weeks of my break.

Seasons not over it only got a lot tougher
Old 11-04-2019, 06:07 PM

Dang! That looks like it hurt! Wishing you a speedy recovery and a fresh tag next fall!

BW
Old 11-04-2019, 06:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
And I haven’t harvested! Dang horse slipped and went down on my leg. Fractured tib and the other small bone. Now I’m laying in bed at the Foothills with a pin in my leg. So my priority 6 antlered Mule deer tag is likely forfeit. Any chance F&W would give me a tag for next year? I did hunt the first week of the season but could they possibly give me a tag for next year from Nov 3rd on? Maybe the meds are making me dream....
Dream on..
Old 11-04-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
Dream on..
RZR. I knew you would chime in. Your probably giggling that I’m not able to get out. You are the most negative person on this forum hands down. You’ve been called on your poor attitude towards others. Whatever the world did to you must have left a scar for life. You only seem to get enjoyment out of other people’s misfortune. You never have anything positive or productive in your posts.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
At the worst do what I did 12years ago get a good friend to set up a ground blind and help you get there and back. I did not let a plate and 8 screws stop me but I did need extra help. Dr was not a fan of me going hunting with two weeks of my break.

Seasons not over it only got a lot tougher
Yes. I plan on going back out. Probably gona partner up with my buddies son and have him harvest the deer if we get lucky.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:58 PM

Maybe we should team up... I got 2 Stainless Steel pins in my thumb two weeks ago, trigger hand too.
I could push you around in the wheelchair while you shoot !

I feel your pain.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:04 PM

You would have been good to go for the end of the season if you had rolled on a quad,,,,
Old 11-04-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Priority 6? Geez, I'd piggy-back you. That sucks...
Old 11-04-2019, 07:20 PM

Having broken both my tibia and fibula twice, I can say, I feel your pain. Good luck with the heal and what ever with the tag.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Yes. I plan on going back out. Probably gona partner up with my buddies son and have him harvest the deer if we get lucky.
Try to make the best of it is all you can do and I wish you luck
Old 11-04-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
There you go, glad your thinking of finding a way to get out there and hunt however your able.. great attitude and “KEEP SMILING” shud help ya get out there
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 11-04-2019, 07:53 PM

Default After waiting for 6 priority- talk to local F & W

Many years ago I entered draws for about 4 animals and got 3 of them. then eye surgeon told me a needed cataract surgery and there would be no recoil or exertion for 6 weeks after my surgery and perhaps another 4 if healing didnt go as scheduled. fish and wildlife gave me a form for my doctor to fill in and sign and cancelled all my draws so I had same priority the following year. You were only a couple days into the hunt so they should cancel yours to allow you to put the required effort into a P6 not just go out there to burn the tag.
My son broke his leg last year and was a full 3 months before he felt back to normal
Old 11-04-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
Maybe we should team up... I got 2 Stainless Steel pins in my thumb two weeks ago, trigger hand too.
I could push you around in the wheelchair while you shoot !

I feel your pain.
Lol. What a pair we would make out there! Stumpy and Gimpy
Old 11-04-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
Many years ago I entered draws for about 4 animals and got 3 of them. then eye surgeon told me a needed cataract surgery and there would be no recoil or exertion for 6 weeks after my surgery and perhaps another 4 if healing didnt go as scheduled. fish and wildlife gave me a form for my doctor to fill in and sign and cancelled all my draws so I had same priority the following year. You were only a couple days into the hunt so they should cancel yours to allow you to put the required effort into a P6 not just go out there to burn the tag.
My son broke his leg last year and was a full 3 months before he felt back to normal
I plan on contacting F&W tomorrow. It’s worth a shot. I was trophy hunting the tag. I had the whole month off work to put in maximum effort. Then I promised my friends son he could use the tag on the last two days of the season if I did not find a trophy. I’ve never shot a large mule deer.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
You would have been good to go for the end of the season if you had rolled on a quad,,,,
Oh my Joe. Your speculating again. Thanx for your kind words. I knew you would chime in as well. Remember when you sarcastically told me you I hope You don’t fall off my high horse.... you got me I hope your happy!
Old 11-04-2019, 09:58 PM

My friends son could use the tag??????

You on truth serum in there too?
Old 11-04-2019, 09:59 PM

Get well.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:16 PM

That’s brutal!!! Get well soon and I hope F&W can push the draw to next year
Old 11-04-2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
My friends son could use the tag??????

You on truth serum in there too?
He’s a 12 year old first time hunter. Pretty sure we can partner up on the tag. But I will double check lol.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
RZR. I knew you would chime in. Your probably giggling that I’m not able to get out. You are the most negative person on this forum hands down. You’ve been called on your poor attitude towards others. Whatever the world did to you must have left a scar for life. You only seem to get enjoyment out of other people’s misfortune. You never have anything positive or productive in your posts.
Says he who is crying about not being able to use my tag for the rest of the year even though I have already been out hunt with the tag. I should be able to ask for my tag again next year. It's unfortunate that you broke your leg I feel for ya! I've been there, but oh well I'll just wait until the next tag. You see the world doesn't owe me a dime. I hope you get to take the 12 yr old out with the tag. I get the most enjoyment out of watching youngsters hunt anyways. I partner them all the time as I could care less about me shooting an animal.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
Says he who is crying about not being able to use my tag for the rest of the year even though I have already been out hunt with the tag. I should be able to ask for my tag again next year. It's unfortunate that you broke your leg I feel for ya! I've been there, but oh well I'll just wait until the next tag. You see the world doesn't owe me a dime. I hope you get to take the 12 yr old out with the tag. I get the most enjoyment out of watching youngsters hunt anyways. I partner them all the time as I could care less about me shooting an animal.
You true colours shine thru RZR. I’m not crying. Just dreaming.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
You true colours shine thru RZR. I’m not crying. Just dreaming.
Like I said.... Dream on!
Old 11-05-2019, 08:07 AM

Wink That's gonna leave a mark

Tough break! Get well soon.
How did the horse deal with your shenanigans?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg are you OK.jpg (76.1 KB, 44 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 11-05-2019, 08:42 AM

Shoot DJ that is tough luck.....feel for you. If things don't work out with F&W, I think I know the young hunter you are talking about and I am sure he would be happy to help out. Get well soon!!!
Old 11-05-2019, 09:12 AM

My wife is still in pain from a break 3 years ago so Iwish you lots of luck on healing. You hunted using the tag so very doubtful they will reascend your tag. Partnering with a youth would be a great use of the tag and make a great story for both of you to remember. good luck.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
Tough break! Get well soon.
How did the horse deal with your shenanigans?
Horse is ok. He’s dead broke. Just slipped at a lope and rolled on me. He was calm about it. Got up and stood there with a look of “sorry” on his face .
Old 11-05-2019, 09:25 AM

Wishing you a fast recovery! Hope all goes well with the tag as well.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:32 AM

Wishing you a fast recovery. Hope you are successful either yourself or with the young fellow that you have lined up for the last couple days of the season.