Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-25-2008, 08:58 PM

Default How do they know what tags you don't have?

I was out hunting the bowzone again this past weekend. Man I love the bowzone and the chit load of non draw tags you get with them. We were hunting some land with mule deer, WT deer, Elk, moose. Now I have already used the moose tag and my general WT. We decide to hunt from the ground with our bows since both are freezers are pretty much topped up. I have never had much luck hunting whitetails from the ground.

Anyway, I ended up stalking a whitetail to 30 yards without him knowing and could of arrowd him. That same day, at last light ... a beautifull big bodied WT buck 4x4 (really tall and wide rack) came into 3 yards of me and walked right by. Quite the cool feeling. I mean these whitetails must know I can't arrow them and are just laughing at me. I love how our own brain/body knows that we can't harvest these animals, because I didn't even have a hint of buck fever.

The next day, I actually pushed a couple WT does that doubled back on us the first push out to my partner who knew the area and picked the correct escape route. The deer(s) just didn't co-operate and he didn't have a safe shot. I got to watch him draw on them, and was waiting for the arrow to fly, but like I said, they just did not co-operate.

Even though we came home without any meat, we felt successfull in our day in the feild. A nice way to end a successfull archery season for me. Good luck to all this last week.

Forgot to mention - as we drove away on Sunday (love Sunday hunting!!!!) a herd of mulies just watched, laughed and waved at us. Only a mere 100 yards away.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:11 PM

they can smell it,

it's "I can't shoot today" stress pheromone in your sweat.

They can apparently even smell that at 200y when they wave their white ass in your face
Old 11-25-2008, 10:57 PM

how do they know?

They're all hackers and have all your info from Alberta Relm
Old 11-26-2008, 07:52 PM

Default Me too

I've hunted the same land in 248 for 9 years. Never have I seen a MD on that land...never. What do you think is parading around the bottom of the tree I'm in? Dohhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Have a MD tag in my pocket now......last chance weekend coming up. This was also the first year in 9 years that I didn't purchase a MD tag along with the "bulk tag purchase" in August (bulk tag purchase this year was sheep/moose/elk/WT and 2 X 248 doe tags)................oh yeah, they know alright
Old 11-26-2008, 09:08 PM

It is bizarre and un-cany how the wrong animal will present itself when they're safe.
It's happened countless times to myself and nice to hear it happens to others
And your right-on about the success's of bowhunting. Some of my most memorable and satisfying hunts were bow hunts without tagging an animal.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:31 PM

and the one year, this year.....I didnt get my strathcona whitetail tags....guess what, see a big buck getting it on with a doe, not more than 20 yards away .....deer ESP? lol
Old 12-07-2008, 06:22 PM

Pure luck...... But it happens to everyone.

A couple weeks back, I'm told, a friend of a friend went out for quick hunt. I guess he hadnt had a lot of opportunity to get out. Anyhow he ends up shooting a small 4x4 whitetail. While he's gutting it, a 170-180ish inch deer walked out past him about 50 yards away..... hows that for luck.?