Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-12-2018, 05:41 PM

Default Update - SYLVAN LAKE – Abandoned Ice Shacks/Huts/Trailers are Gone!

Got back from SoCal yesterday, left palm trees & 39C/102F temps for Sylvan's Winterland. Drove down Lakeshore Dr today ….. whoever needs an ice shack there’s a few left behind, come and get them! Perhaps you can save Backwabbit & me some property tax for the town to remove them.

Pic's taken from townsite/main pier, that's Norglenwold to the west.

D.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:12 PM
Banned

After what date are they considered abandoned?
Old 04-12-2018, 07:23 PM

Legally have to be off by March 31
Old 04-12-2018, 07:24 PM

That time has come and passed. Scum bag hut owners!

Quote:
Take It Off Program

Environmental Services  13 Feb 2018

To protect the environment and ensure safety, anglers are asked to register new or previously unregistered ice-fishing huts.

Ice hut registration is easy and free of charge just follow the link to either Gull Lake / Buffalo Lake or Sylvan Lake and fill out your contact and fish hut information.

Ice hut registration numbers should be clearly displayed on the outside of huts. Registration numbers should be placed on wood blocks or should be spray painted on the side of fishing huts. We also ask that ice hut owners keep the area around their huts clear of garbage.

Registration is required to identify the owner of an ice hut in the event of a littering problem or if the ice hut is not removed from the ice by the end of the ice fishing season.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:27 PM

And, For Sylvan specifically:

Quote:
Abandoning your trash or an ice fishing hut during the spring melt is not an option. Debris, including wood, gasoline, plastic, and metal contaminates the lake and puts people and natural habitat in danger.

The Take it Off program is a voluntary ice hut registration program that helps us remove and report ice huts left on the ice after March 31st, and also protects your property during the ice fishing season.

Remember, remove all ice fishing huts from the lake by March 31st.

Report environmental complaints to the Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource Development at 1 800 222 6514.
These all warrant calls to SRD.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:47 PM

Mr. Snap, tks for posting the "Take it Off" info, just couldn't believe guys would leave their shack/trailers on the ice, perhaps they may try to get them off this weekend, however, I imagine the town will be taking charge to ensure any environmental hazards/contents are taken out and the trailers will be removed or dismantled if necessary, then removed. I recall last year there was one or two left out that were taken apart by town or prov staff and hauled off.

It would be great if the town could identify the owners and bill them for the removal costs.

Will update accordingly.

Cheers

David

Old 04-12-2018, 08:04 PM

Welcome back Zip!

Too bad you had to come home to garbage in your backyard...so to speak.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Welcome back Zip!

Too bad you had to come home to garbage in your backyard...so to speak.
Tks Mr. Snap .... hiding from winter in SoCal was a blessing this year, no life like it!

I imagine the big snow we got has something to do with 4 of them or maybe more being abandoned, however, there are a number of local farmers with various pieces of 4 wheel drive farm tractors that could have easily remove the trailer trash. Guess we'll see what the town does over the next week or so.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Mr. Snap, tks for posting the "Take it Off" info, just couldn't believe guys would leave their shack/trailers on the ice, perhaps they may try to get them off this weekend, however, I imagine the town will be taking charge to ensure any environmental hazards/contents are taken out and the trailers will be removed or dismantled if necessary, then removed. I recall last year there was one or two left out that were taken apart by town or prov staff and hauled off.

It would be great if the town could identify the owners and bill them for the removal costs.

Will update accordingly.

Cheers

David
I don't know why Alberta is so far behind on everything in Manitoba you had to have your name and your license number on your shacks 30 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2018, 09:45 AM

Hope the owners come get them asap. Each day of warm makes it real scary for the ones left to remove these idiots junk. Would hate to hear someones equipment went under with a guy inside trying to remove left over shacks.

Registration of all shacks will be next and probably a good thing.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:06 PM

Is that registration for shacks just a Gull , Buffalo, Sylvan lake deal. Dont recall seeing any regitration requirements for Lac Ste Anne Slave lake etc
Old 04-13-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy View Post
Is that registration for shacks just a Gull , Buffalo, Sylvan lake deal. Dont recall seeing any regitration requirements for Lac Ste Anne Slave lake etc
Yes, but to clarify, it is for Lacombe County. All counties and the province should do it right and make it mandatory.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:59 PM

Sent a e-mail to my Sylvan Town Council member to inquire who's responsible and what action plan is in place to have these trailers and any hazardous material/contents removed before they become a liability.

More to follow ....

D.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:53 PM

I need a shack!!!! I was gunna build one this summer...lol....but im kinda specific...lol

Happy
Old 04-13-2018, 09:04 PM

Time to make registration mandatory.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:18 PM

Changed the thread title to reflect the environmental concerns of abandoned Ice Shacks on our Alberta Lakes.

I received a prompt and informative reply from my Town Council member, I’m informed this matter falls under the jurisdiction of Alberta Environment and they have the authority to remove the Ice Shacks/Trailers but have not yet done so.

I was provided the following Alberta Environment hotline number 1-800-222-6514 and called them this afternoon, they asked for my contact info/home address phone number and listened to my concerns in respect to mitigating any environmental risks before these trailers are no longer recoverable. Was informed I wasn’t the first to call they have opened a file # 336715 on the matter and have referred it to an Environmental Officer for action. They asked me if I knew if there were any hazardous items on/in the trailers, I suggested there may in fact be, however, could not confirm. I was told if they were still on the lake in 1 week (April 21) to call back and they would put me directly in touch with the Environmental Office responsible for this file.

By posting this information, I’m encouraging other concerned Sylvanlakers and/or A/O members to take the time to call Alberta Environment and encourage them to take action and have these shacks/trailers removed from Sylvan Lake. The trailers are located approx. ½ kilometer or more directly across from the main pier at the town site. Perhaps the more calls they receive the better for concerned residents/anglers. I’m also considering contacting the local reported with Sylvan Lake News.

Furthermore, I intend to approach the new Sylvan MLA candidate’s in the pending Provincial election to introduce a new mandatory registration process for Ice Shack/Huts/Trailers and develop a process to hold owners of the structures abandoned on the lake responsible when they do not remove them by the mandatory established date/time.

In conclusion, it’s not just Backwabbit and my town tax’s to have these removed, were all paying when they are abandoned by irresponsible people/anglers!

Thank you in advance for your support.

Regards

David ... Z-z

Alberta Environment hotline number 1-800-222-6514

Sylvan Lake file # 336715

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 04-14-2018, 08:10 AM

news flash , new world record catch from sylvan lake local man catches a 5000 pound 24 foot trailer pike in local waters. lol.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:22 AM

Good news story at last...

Good on ya Big Bear Energy team!

Mayor Sean reports that all delinquent shacks have been removed from the lake as of last night.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by bwackwabbit; 04-14-2018 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
That time has come and passed. Scum bag hut owners!
Agree!. Few bad apples in the bunch will ruin it for everyone. Irresponsible drivers they put in speed bumps. Irresponsible ATV'ers and they shut-down the back country. Irresponsible campers and they close down public access.

Abandoned ice huts will eventually lead to registration and or them being banned altogether. The last thing we want is more government rules/laws/enforcement. Money could be spent on more importing things.

I'd love for one of these douche bag ice hut owners whom abandoned these ice huts to PM me so I could have a nice upfront and personal chat with them in a parking lot somewhere.

To the Big Bear Energy team, my hat off to you guys!!! Nice machines set-ups BTW.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:16 PM

Further to Backwabbit’s post, I received an update from my Town Council member that Big Bear Energy Services a local oil field equipment supplier in Sylvan Lake, volunteered their time and equipment and removed the three Ice Shacks/Trailers. I grabbed my camera and went for a drive and found the three shacks/trailers on the Norglenwold lake access road, not sure who’s now responsible for removing/disposing of them from here.

I intend to call Alberta Environment back with this info, I wonder how they feel about having local volunteers doing their job for them, perhaps they’re able to coordinate themselves to have a better response next year.

I’m happy to end this story with a successful conclusion that they’re now off the lake and Sylvan is safe for the year.

Many tks to Big Bear Energy Services for their efforts.

Cheers

David

A few pic’s …. They’re Gone!

Norglenwold Road

This was on them.

No ID on them either.

One shack has a AB Plate!

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 04-14-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:43 PM

Facebook post:

Sean McIntyre, Mayor of Sylvan Lake

A sticky situation turned hopeful when a local Sylvan Lake business stepped in, to make a difference!

Unfortunately some lake users had irresponsibly abandoned their ice fishing shacks on Sylvan Lake, long after the March 31 deadline to “Take it Off”; an initiative adopted, supported, and communicated by all 8 municipalities surrounding Sylvan Lake. With the “Take it Off” deadline long past and temperatures (finally) climbing upward, ice conditions were no longer reliable and the remaining structures on the lake were quickly on their way to becoming inevitable environmental and physical hazards in the lake - instead of on top of it.

The lake itself is outside the Town of Sylvan Lake, but is beloved and important to all of us.

Hearing that the lake was in need - and having the equipment and expertise to intervene, the Big Bear Energy team stepped in and volunteered to remove the shacks themselves, free of charge. On Friday April 13, they ventured where others dared not, to retrieve and remove the shacks before they could harm the ecosystem of the lake or become a hazard for warm-weather lake users like boaters, swimmers, paddlers, and the like.
On behalf of Sylvan Lakers I want to thank the brave and awesome team from Big Bear Energy for volunteering their time and equipment to be difference makers for our lake!

Please join me in thanking Big Bear Energy!

There was over 80 comments from concerned residents.

Old 04-14-2018, 01:24 PM

That’s awesome,I imagine the ice is still super thick. Should just be off for the May long. Probably the north lakes not tell June 1 !!! Lol
Old 04-14-2018, 03:32 PM

A very good news story!! Thanks for posting this Bwacky and Zip. A good ending.

I wonder how many other lakes have huts left on them....
Old 04-15-2018, 01:11 PM

Just took this pic. Lac Ste Anne.
If I wasn’t worried about breaking through the ice with my truck along the shoreline, I’d gladly haul this Shack to the dump for the owner.

IMG_0970.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2018, 08:03 AM

Good on ya Big Bear! Perhaps we all have to step up to these ignorant dinks. Wherever we fish next winter, wander around and take some pictures of these shacks when there are trucks beside them, including a license plate number! If you take your shack off like your supposed to, good! ...if not, your info goes to the authorities and maybe your held accountable for your stupidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk