Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-26-2016, 10:21 AM

Default Bison Failure

Well went up to Zama on January 5 and spent six days looking for these beasts. Came home empty handed. I have no luck this year at all but hey that is hunting. Sounds like others are still having some luck so we decided that we better go try it again. We are leaving next Tuesday February 2 to try our luck once again. If anybody has any hints for me that would be awesome as I definitely do not want to strike out twice.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1mooselover View Post
Well went up to Zama on January 5 and spent six days looking for these beasts. Came home empty handed. I have no luck this year at all but hey that is hunting. Sounds like others are still having some luck so we decided that we better go try it again. We are leaving next Tuesday February 2 to try our luck once again. If anybody has any hints for me that would be awesome as I definitely do not want to strike out twice.
Did you talk to Fish and Wildlife up there. They really want removal of the animals and have been very helpful in helping guys get on and locate Bison to harvest. I would definitely talk to the local guy. He has always been very helpful. Most of the local oil patch guys are good about saying where they saw them because they hate hitting them in the dark too.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:19 AM

Go talk to the operators with Husky, they are everywhere up there. They will know where the Bison are.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Go talk to the operators with Husky, they are everywhere up there. They will know where the Bison are.
Not husky, talk to the apache guys at Zama. They just laid off a pile of operators, so i don't even know who to put you in contact with.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:31 PM

Holy crap your being hard on yourself. You and your info were a big part of our success. More than biologists or COs or operators. You know there's basically 2 groups/2 areas. Pick one and hammer it hard. All you can do.

You said yourself, weather and wolves beat you. Find some fresh sign, narrow down where or which way they are headed and head them off.

I wish you the best of luck up there.

Wade
Old 01-26-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale7637 View Post
Not husky, talk to the apache guys at Zama. They just laid off a pile of operators, so i don't even know who to put you in contact with.
Yes, the Apache guys are everywhere too
Old 01-26-2016, 03:33 PM

Good luck! I've only been to Zama once in my life and saw bison on the way while driving, so of course I have the mistaken impression that they are everywhere and easy to find.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Good luck! I've only been to Zama once in my life and saw bison on the way while driving, so of course I have the mistaken impression that they are everywhere and easy to find.
You know how that works, Easy to find, till you're looking for them.

Grizz
Old 01-26-2016, 05:17 PM

My baby brother and I were up last year and stayed at the Global Energy Open Camp in Zama. At supper we talked to about 6 guys and were told were to go on the Chaqilli ??? road. A tank truck driver had 58 on the road for an hour and a half and could not get through, and of course they are told not to harass the bison and let them simply move on. He was a GREAT source of info, and dead bison the next day.

The camp manager let us use the shop to hang and skin and quarter, and even brought the front end loader over the trailer so we had a lifting point to winch off of. These guys are top notch, and worth staying with.

Derek at Wilderness Creations has him finished, and I pick our mount up on the weekend. Great price and great turn around time.

Best of luck, these things are delicious!!

Drewski
Old 01-26-2016, 09:35 PM

my nephew took a nice bull 14 km off the road into zamma lake yesterday they found tracks crossing the highway and followed them till they found the heard they said it was a big heard.

good luck
Old 01-26-2016, 09:39 PM

Here is his bull
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (23.0 KB, 335 views)
Old 01-27-2016, 12:06 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Good advice above,
We had similar success by chatting with various people and were on them by day two.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-27-2016, 10:23 AM

That's a nice one RDW and thanks allseasons. Honestly the main reason we are going again is because allseasons had success. Talked myself into it thinking I might have some better success now that I have been up there already. Thanks for all the other info and I am hoping that we can park, unload the sleds and find them off the road's burning less diesel($$$$$$$$) and put some more miles on the sleds.