Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-20-2017, 05:24 AM

Default Driving over ice heaves

I know Wabamun has a lot of ice heaves this year. Is it safe to drive over them? What should a guy look for before crossing them?
Old 01-20-2017, 07:57 AM

Default Ice Heaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDderAngler View Post
I know Wabamun has a lot of ice heaves this year. Is it safe to drive over them? What should a guy look for before crossing them?
A way to go around them, I personally would never cross them. Maybe a lot more research about driving on the ice
Old 01-20-2017, 08:08 AM

Good question, one I've often worried about.

I fished badger not too long ago and had to deal with some huge heaves. Not being too experienced with them and not feeling like a swim,I must have drilled 20 holes along the spot I choose to cross. In that particular case the thickness actually increased, in some spots 4 inches thicker than 100 m out.

I'd love to hear from some of the guys who have been doing this for years, what should us hard water novices be looking for? Any thoughts?

Sent from my T06 using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony5 View Post
A way to go around them, I personally would never cross them.
^^^^^^^^ Agree ^^^^^^^^
Old 01-20-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findaway View Post
Good question, one I've often worried about.

I fished badger not too long ago and had to deal with some huge heaves. Not being too experienced with them and not feeling like a swim,I must have drilled 20 holes along the spot I choose to cross. In that particular case the thickness actually increased, in some spots 4 inches thicker than 100 m out.

I'd love to hear from some of the guys who have been doing this for years, what should us hard water novices be looking for? Any thoughts?

Around heaves it isn't necessarily thin ice you need to worry about. When a heave forms it either pushes ice upwards or downwards into the water. It then cracks ice around it (sometimes as far as 100 yards out from the heave) and sometimes will cause loose chunks of ice. The biggest issue with heaves is when it is warm out like now. If a heave shifts it won't re freeze until it is colder.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:48 AM

I only cross heaves where it is obvious that they have been crossed before, in sustained cold weather, and only near shore in the shallows. If I do drop through at a heave I want it to be shallow enough for me to be able to get out easily.

Pikehunter is right. Its the refreezing that is usually the issue. You have to be aware that if the ice shifts again it will likely do so at an existing heave, so you have a situation where you could cross it and it could heave more/crack/reopen while you are on the other side of it. Then when you go home you assume that it is safe because you just went over it a few hours ago.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 01-20-2017, 09:20 AM

I could see this being a real issue as the thickness approaches the minimum required, would the cracking be a big concern at 20"+ ? (Or any arbitrary number far above the 10" I need)

Old 01-20-2017, 01:41 PM

About 3 years ago, I decided to cross a smaller heave with my old 1980 Polaris Indy. Took it easy and decided to coast over the heave. Skis glided over great but when the track hit, the machine went airborne. I am holding onto the bars with legs flailing. Doing a superman. Came down skis first and then my head went into the windshield and my bottom ribs into the handle bars. I was sore for a couple of months. Would have been funny to watch I am sure.
probably this is not the vehicle you would be using but thought I would just add this bit.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2017, 02:05 PM

Default Drivinhg on wabamun

Hey Guys/Gals

We have not been out on Wabamun yet this year ice fishing. Going to head out tomorrow on the Golf course side from the Kapasiwin turn off.

Does anyone know if its safe for trucks or should we walk out?
Old 01-20-2017, 03:31 PM

Never cross a heave. Ice may or may not be fresh on either side. Fracturing may have weakened the ice. Ice "waves" generated by driving on the water causes weak spots to buckle and crack making the integrity of the ice very sketchy.

I saw a ski do almost sink trying to drive through one.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-21-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony5 View Post
A way to go around them, I personally would never cross them. Maybe a lot more research about driving on the ice
Yup.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:18 AM

I never cross ice heaves unless I have no other choice to get off the lake, test drill lots of holes on both sides and only do so if it's safe cross. I carry my tri-fold quad ramps, jack all, shovel and chains for all four corners in my truck anytime I'm on the ice in case I need to use them. Worst case scenario you can leave the vehicle on the ice for a couple of days until conditions improve, better safe than sorry and wet and uninsured.