Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-10-2018, 04:39 PM

Default TFO BVK vs Loop Q

Ok, I'm looking at these two different rods and wondering if anyone has any opinions on them. I spoke to someone at Reid's Fly Shop and he says Loop is a better choice. I like the price point on both and they both have good reviews. Thoughts?
Old 04-10-2018, 05:51 PM

Almost all of my gear is loop. So I'm biased. But loop makes a superior product and thats why I support them. I would do the Q for sure. The BVK is an older model so you'll have a lot of people on here that own it. The Q is brand new so no one really has had time to fish it yet.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:55 PM

Well I have never cast the Loop Q,,,, but Loop does make a good product, I will leave any further comment about Loop at that.

Now regarding TFO rods, for all the popularity of the BVK, it is probably my least favorite rod in the TFO stable as I have seen far more BVKs break compared to any of their other rods. The new Axiom 2 series is a far superior stick to the BVK as it is very light in hand (similar to the BVK in that regard), effortless to cast and much tougher. I fished a pair of Axiom2 (7 & 9wt) rods really hard through a 5 week saltwater workout this past winter and was very pleased with their performance and durability.

Another very nice TFO rod superior in my experience to the BVK is the Impact Series, It's a bit slower in action which is not a bad thing at all. Makes for a very sweet casting rod as it is easy to feel the rod load through the cast. Last summer I used the 8 and 10 weights extensively for pike and caught several large pike over 40" on those sticks.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:11 PM

I own a BVK but haven't looked at a Loop Q so only going off the specs for it.

First off what type of rod are you looking for? What weight? Targeting what species? Streams, rivers, lakes? Dry flies, nymphs, indicators, streamers? Its not really possible to give you a good idea on what rod to choose without knowing how you plan on using it.

Assuming you want an all around trout rod say either a 5 or 6 wt the main difference you will notice is that the BVK is a faster rod. The BVK is a fast rod(even by fast standards) whereas the Loop Q in those weights is said to be a medium fast. The Loop Q is also a heavier rod, over 4 oz for the 5 wt and 4.5 oz for the 6 wt compared to 3-3.2 oz for the BVK. I am surprised by how heavy the Q is but swing weight is more important then overall weight and the BVK has a high swing weight.

The BVK will likely toss larger flies, streamers and indicators easier. It should cast farther and into the wind easier. The Loop should offer more finesse, work better for dry flies, and give better accuracy on shorter casts. Which one is best will ultimately come down to personal preference and fishing style.

And just googling it I found the following which has some good information confirming most of my thoughts(albeit in the 8 wt size).

https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/ge...rod-comparison

Note that the Loop Q in 8 wt is called fast action but it is still slow compared to the competition, in the 5/6 wt classes the BVK is likely a significantly faster rod.

I am thinking the weights on Loops website might be wrong. They say an 8 wt should be 190 grams(6.7 oz) whereas yellowstone angler weight it at 4.1 oz. The swing weight is lower then the BVK which will offset its higher weight. Swing weight is one of the biggest differences I notice between my BVK and NRX, even though they weigh roughly the same the NRX is easier to cast all day.

I personally would probably go with the BVK but I like fast rods for the fishing I do(mostly casting indicators or trolling sinking lines).
Old 04-11-2018, 01:27 AM
Banned

It really depends what weight you're looking at and how you're going to use it. I like the 8wt BVK for throwing streamers or saltwater fishing in the wind but buying a 5wt BVK for casting dry flies on a mid sized creek would be less than ideal, it's an extremely stiff rod. I haven't looked at the Loop Q yet but it sounds decent, I've never regretted buying a Loop product .

Another rod you might want to consider is the Fenwick Ateos. I bought one to take as a backup on a trip to Mexico in case my BVK broke (as they are notorious for) but ended up using it more. I was casting under 50' most of the time and the Fenwick was easier to get on target quickly. REALLY impressive when you consider the price and it handled a smallish tarpon and a snook without trouble.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:03 AM

Mostly fishing streams like the Little Smoky and the Ram. Plus I want to get into a few of the pothole lakes around Edmonton on my fishing kayak. I also want to target some Goldeye on the N. Sask when I only have a couple of hours in an evening and want to catch come fish. Very simple stuff and I love tossing drys.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:21 AM

The Loop Q in a 5 wt is probably a good choice then.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
Mostly fishing streams like the Little Smoky and the Ram. Plus I want to get into a few of the pothole lakes around Edmonton on my fishing kayak. I also want to target some Goldeye on the N. Sask when I only have a couple of hours in an evening and want to catch come fish. Very simple stuff and I love tossing drys.
Definitely go with the 4wt Loop Q!
Old 04-11-2018, 09:48 AM

I'm with the others here, if its anything smaller than a 6wt go loop hands down. The BVK 7 and 8 wts are some of the better streamer rods out there. From what you are contemplating...go loop!
Old 04-11-2018, 10:58 AM

A good idea is to look at warranty. Which one would get replaced faster, if that’s important to u. Other people’s opinions r just that what ever suits u and u like, go. With that. I have a loop spey rod it ok, I have Beulah spey like it more and I have a vision spey love it. None of my rods r bad I just find one suits my casting style better then the rest
Old 04-11-2018, 12:32 PM

And it gets more difficult hahahahahaha. Midgetwaiter recommended a look at the Fenwick Ateos and that has great reviews too. I think I have to put some of these in my hands and try them out.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
And it gets more difficult hahahahahaha. Midgetwaiter recommended a look at the Fenwick Ateos and that has great reviews too. I think I have to put some of these in my hands and try them out.
There are a number of guys that really like the Aetos considering its price point.

Here is a 5 wt shootout from last year. Has the Aetos and BVK but no Q.

https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/ge...ton-air-sage-x

Note the BVK comes in last because of being too fast and its heavy swing weight. Works good for streamers, indicators and trolling but definitely not as good for what you like to do.

The Aetos and Q are probably fairly similar. You can't really go wrong with either.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:13 PM

I bought the Loop Q from Reid's Fly Shop and the reason I bought it was because of Reid.
Buy local and support this fly shop
He knows his stuff and was awesome to deal with. He also saved me $40 on fly line by steering me to what he considered was a better fly line for my set up. He could have upsilon me, but not in his character. I felt very welcome in his shop and that did it for me.