Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-01-2012, 04:44 PM

Default Edmonton drug dealer gets break on sentencing to avoid deportation

Quote:
A convicted drug dealer has been given a break on sentencing to avoid him being deported to Vietnam and facing possible execution as an escaped prisoner of war.

Chinh Van An, 56, pleaded guilty Wednesday in Edmonton’s Provincial Court to trafficking in cocaine, possession of OxyContin for the purpose of trafficking and several breaches of bail conditions.

The Crown sought a three-year prison term, however Judge Michael Stevens-Guille agreed to a defence request to use his discretion as a result of the immigration issue and sentenced An to two years, less a day, in jail.

Stevens-Guille noted An should have been given a penitentiary sentence, but said he was choosing to utilize his discretion due to the circumstances of the case.

Defence lawyer Robert Hladun told court An had been a soldier with the South Vietnamese Army in 1975 and was captured and imprisoned by the North Vietnamese Army.

An later escaped captivity and ended up a political refugee in a camp in Indonesia, said Hladun, adding he eventually was accepted into Canada under refugee status.

An is not a Canadian citizen and Hladun said immigration laws dictate that if a non-resident gets a prison term of more than two years, the person faces deportation.

“I have information that if he is sent back to Vietnam, he would be sentenced to death and executed,” said Hladun.

Court heard An was busted on May 19, 2011, after he and another person sold an undercover police officer a gram of cocaine during a police sting operation.

He was released on bail, however he was busted again three weeks later when he tried to sell a small amount of crack cocaine to the same undercover officer.

A search revealed An, described in court as a drug addict, had morphine and OxyContin pills on him.

Court also heard An has a previous criminal record which includes prior convictions for cocaine trafficking.

An was also given 17 months credit for the time he spent in pre-trial custody, leaving him with seven months to serve. He was also ordered to submit a DNA sample.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/10/3...ion-to-vietnam
1: Why are we paying to keep this scum on Canadian soil?
2: How many lives has this POS ruined already?
3:
Quote:
“I have information that if he is sent back to Vietnam, he would be sentenced to death and executed,” said Hladun.
Was this 'fact' entered in as evidence or just heresay? (and who cares what happens if his sorry @ss is punted)

Reading stuff like this just pi****es me off!

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 11-01-2012, 04:55 PM

He's not a Canadian and has obviously chosen a trade that is illegal - send him back where he came from.
Goood riddance.
Cat
Old 11-01-2012, 04:58 PM

He should have been deported the first time he was caught. Selling to the same cop twice in three weeks? Not the brightest crayon in the box. And, why would he be executed if sent back to Vietnam. For being a deserter? It all sounds fishy to me
Old 11-01-2012, 04:58 PM

What a dirty rotten low down thing to happen to Canuckastan, stoop to such a low level.

I am disgusted today to be a Canuck.

Bring back someone with a pair to help guide the 'legal *cough* system' with these bastards.

Wonder who he sold to/bought from with power?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Banned

He was selling drugs knowing that a 2 year sentence would be a death sentence, but he kept selling anyway. I don't think so. Pack his fing bags and get him the farg out of this country. We have enough scumbags that were born here without having to import them.

Judges in this country are really starting to digust me. Like, really, really disgust me. Now we have to house and put up with this degenerate recidivit because some judge didn't have the balls or common sense to kick his arse to the curb across the ocean.

F I'm pizzed. I'ma getting farging sick of these sumanabatches.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:05 PM

We don't need people like this in our country, let alone on our planet.

Send him back to vietnam for execution for all I care... One less POS on our earth.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:06 PM

Stupid drug dealers lol, they get caught then they get house arrest then back at it again, never ending problems.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:08 PM

Default scumbags

^^^^^^ditto!^^^^^^
Old 11-01-2012, 05:12 PM

Same old crap- ' we dont care who 'YOU' are selling to, we need to know your supplier and for that we will let you live here'

too many cops, lawyers and judges watching too much tv.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-01-2012, 05:13 PM

Default Drug Dealer

What a fricken joke Im sorry but they should have sent the low life back to get waht he deserves he had a second chance comming to this country and screwed it up twice obliviously no respect for law wherever this scumbag goes. Why the hell should we pay to imprison him here when he has that kind of attitude?
Old 11-01-2012, 05:15 PM
Banned

Default some more of the greatest hits from this judge

http://www.calgarysun.com/news/alber.../14256946.html
Found parents guilty of assault for spanking their 14yr old daughter with a belt on her butt, not very hard he admitted.

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/200...oids-jail-time
73 year old man exposes himself to girls...no jail time, goes on to re-offend and is jailed for only 30days by a different judge.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:21 PM

Ohhhh, but it is not the Canadian way to send someone to death.... instead we will keep this poor person here..... raise our tax's to pay for the poor guy.... pull some money out of education and health care to feed his relatives and while we are at it..... lets give his whole family the full benefit package while they wait for him to get out.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:22 PM

Pathetic. I'm sure he can be re-habilitated.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 11-01-2012, 05:22 PM

The government should spend more time on the deporation process not the criminal aspect. Its cheaper and more more humane ( mind you) to send them home rather than sending them to the 5 star holel in Bowden or Drumheller
Old 11-01-2012, 06:47 PM

If moneys an issue I'll cough up for the ticket.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Banned

All I can say is that he is no relation to SOM DOM FOK.

It must be nice to run around killing people and the justice system can not touch you.

Then there are those gun owners on AO. Bad to the bone. Police always watching them.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:09 PM

We should be deporting JUDGES who continually allow these criminals back into society. JUDGES who repeatedly put law abiding citizens at the mercy of these parasites should be held liable and responsible for what these criminals do.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Banned

Mother ****er! I have had enough of people coming into MY country and breaking MY laws then us not deporting them because they are in danger in THEIR country! Right wing conservative government my backside! This piece of trash should be sent back on the boat Monday morning!
Old 11-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
We should be deporting JUDGES who continually allow these criminals back into society. JUDGES who repeatedly put law abiding citizens at the mercy of these parasites should be held liable and responsible for what these criminals do.
I agree 110%
Old 11-01-2012, 07:58 PM

Very stupid state of affairs. I always just shake my head when I hear the term, a "known drug house". The cops know these guys. Why? Because they have long rap sheets. Still out dealing dope, guns and commiting all kinds of crime, much violent. The other day one was busted and they found a pile of pea shooters, sling shots, nerf guns and light sabres. And, a flippin hand grenade. We as honest, law abiding citizens have been denied the right to self preservation and protecting our loved ones. We cannot open carry so we live with the possibility of some meth whacked out punk attacking us while out or in our homes. They, and this guy have rights. They protect him. Can't protect us and don't allow us to protect ourselves. The day before Halloween, a note was sent home from my son's school saying no weapons allowed, ie. toys. Nothing makes sense because the sheep keep following. Scary and dangerous.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Banned

I wonder what the Vietnamese government says they want him for.

Somehow I doubt it is because he was ARVN.

He should have been put on a plane an hour after that gavel came down.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:17 PM

No worse than letting Omar Khadr back into the country. He'll probably be out on day parole pretty soon.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
.....- send him back where he came from.
Goood riddance.
Cat
I disagree.

A obliette would be much better:

The Oubliette - A Punishment Worse Than Castle Dungeons
"If you can remember the 'chokey' from Roald Dahl's 'Matilda', the Oubliette was similar..."
The Oubliette - or the 'forgotten room' - was a punishment worse than being thrown into a castle dungeon. If you can remember the 'chokey' from Roald Dahl's 'Matilda', the oubliette was a very similar punishment.

The oubliette was a tiny, vertical shaft which was often only large enough for an individual to stand up in - they wouldn't have been able to crouch down, to kneel, to sit, or perhaps even to turn round in it.

A diagram of a castle oubliette. This was wider than many - a bell-jar prison, if you like. They would have been lowered into this shaft by a guardsman, and, once they reached the bottom, the rope would have been taken up and the trap-door above them would have been closed. Often, the shaft would have been so deep that there would have been no way to reach up to the trap-door.

In the oubliette, they would have been forced to remain standing, in the dark, until they were released - if ever. Food and water might have been thrown down to them if they were lucky (or if their survival was seen to be important), but it was, all in all, a truly horrible punishment.

I found good info here.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
He's not a Canadian and has obviously chosen a trade that is illegal - send him back where he came from.
Goood riddance.
Cat
xxxx whatever. I totally agree. What a joke our justice system is. Let him stay here and cost us the tax payers money!!