Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-01-2012, 01:29 PM

Default Christmas Vacation

I'm looking to book a trip at Christmas with my sister. Both of us are mid to lates 20s, looking to have a good time ... not hang out with all families.

We're thinking about Mexico and Cuba. She's leaning towards Cuba, I'd rather do Mexico.

Anyone know about surfing in these places? It doesn't need to be good, just available. Lessons and such. Never done it and its on my must do list for this trip.

Thanks,
Old 11-01-2012, 01:48 PM

Don't rule out the Dominican Republic. Went there for two weeks once had a blast. Sailing, snorkeling, ocean kayaking, and the tours were great. People were amazing too.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:23 PM

From what the travel agent has told us so far, Dominican is a bit more $$
Old 11-01-2012, 02:34 PM
AvayaAce

Anywhere but Cuba...unless your a Commie or you love bland food...it's up to you. MX or DR or Costa Rica before Cuba IMO
Old 11-01-2012, 02:43 PM

I don't know exactly what you are into. When we went to the dominican, we decided to spend a little extra(it was our holiday).Any activity-free, 9 premier restuarants 5 free sittings per week-free, buffet with awesome food 24hrs.-free, all alcohol including premium-free, and man it was nice. I understand being on a budget, might be worth it for you though.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Banned

Here yah go,, get you in the mood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQQruRTuq9I
Old 11-01-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Here yah go,, get you in the mood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQQruRTuq9I
Pure awesome.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokcondave View Post
I don't know exactly what you are into. When we went to the dominican, we decided to spend a little extra(it was our holiday).Any activity-free, 9 premier restuarants 5 free sittings per week-free, buffet with awesome food 24hrs.-free, all alcohol including premium-free, and man it was nice. I understand being on a budget, might be worth it for you though.
I mainly want all-inclusive, surfing ... and some other water activities. Zip lines ... excursions .. whatever .. not too picky.

I *really* want to try surfing.

I've heard the food in Cuba can be pretty bland, hence why I was leaning to Mexico.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:12 PM

http://cocobongo.com.mx/coco2010/inter/virtual_tour/1/

or.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMvqPffzDMQ
Old 11-01-2012, 03:21 PM

We just came back from a trip to the Mayan in Mexico and would go back in a heartbeat! Not sure about surfing bc I was in a cast for a broken scaphoid, but the food was amazing, the resort was awesome, staff very friendly and accommodating, the Mayan Ruins are beautiful, and activities galore. We stayed at the Grand Bahia Principe Coba (http://www.bahia-principe.com/en/hot...a/resort-coba/). Excursions close by are Xcarat, Xel-ha. Google around and you'll at least have a starting point.

Danni
Old 11-01-2012, 03:21 PM

We had fun in the Dominican about 6 years ago. I booked on one of the online travel sites. Mexico would have been a choice, but at the time there was a seriously bungled murder of a Canadian who was beat to death there. Mind you, I should know better than to have any faith in the Federales down in Mexico.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:04 PM

Me and the wife went on an excursion in the Dominican. It was called bavaro runners, they took us all over the Dominican. This was before we had kids. They took us to their resort where they fed us took us on a horseback ride, and we could enjoy any water sports we wanted( including surfing. The misses and I went to enjoy the water and nobody else was there. I'm talking as far as we could see, nobody(about 3 miles in either direction). It was amazing. Since then we've had a lot of bad events happen to us, but that sticks with me. Sorry the Dominican was just amazing. It doesn't matter where you go it's what you make of it. Enjoy.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:20 PM

I have been to Cuba, Puerto Vallarta, Cancun, Mayan Riviera, Punta Cana and Jamaica, but honestly can't say I have seen much surfing in the Caribbean.

I have seen a ton of wind surfing and kite surfing for sure, but you never know. Wasn't on my list so I never sought it out.
Googled a site

http://www.caribbeantravelmag.com/ar...ons-catch-wave

I am sure where ever you go it will be great

Been away twice at xmas and it is different for sure. Kinda weird.Always pay a huge premium to be gone in that time frame and the restaurants get super crowded.
Not my preference, but you go when you can go!!

Not just Cuba with bland food- most all-inclusives have similar menus- Take Frank's red hot or your fav sauce with you wherever you go. You won't regret it.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:27 PM

I'd like to go here sometime...

http://www.mangorosanicaragua.com/index.php
Old 11-01-2012, 09:05 PM

Of the options you listed, the best surfing would be Mexico pacific coast in the Punta Mita or Sayulita area. Great surfing and there are some resorts near by. We stayed at the Grand Palladium Vallarta and they had free surfing as part of the package. Great resort and free surfing lessons!
Old 11-01-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpohlic View Post
I'd like to go here sometime...

http://www.mangorosanicaragua.com/index.php
My sister moved to Costa Rica for a year and did some traveling into Nicaragua - she couldn't quit raving about her time there.
Not for the average "tourista" tho.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:20 PM

Here's where I've been...

Cancun - guy trip - hard on the liver and was very memorable.

Playa Del Carmen - in 1999 - Fantastic trip, before the maya really took off. Spent two weeks there and had an amazing time.

Manzanillo - Great trip and a nice visit.

Ixtapa - Again, a great trip, and got to explore the countryside a fair bit by getting to know the locals.

Cuba - Veradero - Cuba has some amazing history, and it was really neat to explore Havana. Amazing carribean waters. The food was very bland, but we had a great time nonetheless.

Costa Rica - Been there two years in a row now, landed in Liberia and stayed near flamingo beach. If there was carribean water (for scuba diving) we would never go anywhere else ever again. There is something very special about this country, and I want to explore further. We went on a number of dives, and had fantastic experiances.

The next places we want to experiance are Turks and Caicos. Belize. Cayman's.

Mexico is WAY too american for me anymore. I like to experiance new culture down south. Would consider cozumel though - solely for the diving. (spent a day there and loved it)
Old 11-02-2012, 08:20 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Will look into them a bit further.

From what I've heard surfing won't be great ... but that's ok I have never done it so as long as I can at least attempt it I'll be happy.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:13 AM

Just got back last week from La Bocatia Nicaragua. There were afew Surf Shops there. Look like good waves and people out surfing. Have traveled numerous times to Nicaragua and Routan Honduras, no problems. We stay in small Cabanas with the locals, but if you are faint of heart go with a resort.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:53 AM

all inclusive surf...go here

http://surfsimply.com/

fantastic!!!