Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-13-2010, 11:19 AM

Default Anybody else have this problem?

I bought a Frabill Outpost 3 man hub tent and only got to use it a couple of times before the grommets that hold the hubs to the material ripped out. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? Should I just exchange it or go with a different manufacturer? Thanx
Old 01-13-2010, 11:26 AM

if you bought it recently i would definately check to see if factory warrentee would help or even contact the maker of it.i have the icecube and they also have their glitches with the hubs too and for mine i have not had this problem but i had an issue with the tearing of the flaps but i would buy anotherone even with these issues.did the hub actually tear through the material?
Old 01-13-2010, 11:46 AM

I think if you exchange it you would have the same issue with the new one.
I have a Clam and an Eastman, both are good. I noticed this on Ice Shanty this morning, it includes some fixes for your issue.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing...topic=128284.0
Old 01-13-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izumi View Post
I think if you exchange it you would have the same issue with the new one.
I have a Clam and an Eastman, both are good. I noticed this on Ice Shanty this morning, it includes some fixes for your issue.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing...topic=128284.0
Since I've got the Headquarters, I'm not too happy about reading that thread.

I've had mine setup twice (though it has only actually been used once). No problems yet, that I've noticed.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:21 PM

You'll find plenty of people who've had problems with the grommets on Frabills. I had two hubs pull out of the material on my headquarters already. Did a homemade fix on them but not really pleased - that material just isn't terribly durable.

If you have a Frabill and haven't had an issue yet, be VERY gentle when popping the hubs open on your unit and you might be ok.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:00 AM

Now, after three set-ups, I've got this problem. One of the hubs is pulling out of the material.

I emailed Frabill to find out if they'll do anything about it: to see, in particular, if they have developed a repair kit for this issue yet.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:38 AM

Well I phoned TheFishinHole and the guy said that a lot of people have had this problem and to just bring it back. Now I don't know what tent to go with. Any ideas for a good 2-3 man tent?
Old 01-18-2010, 10:45 AM

My clam base camp is holding up well. Heavy material (twice the denier count of most other tents), well built and very reasonable priced. My previous tent an Eastman Ice cube also held up well although I see some posts on here looking for replacement hubs for the ice cube.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:48 AM

Do you know any where in Edmonton to buy the clam base tent?
Old 01-18-2010, 10:53 AM

I got mine at Bass Pro. The fishing hole carries the Clam line although I haven't seen the bases camp there, I'm not sure about Whole Sale either. Best bet would be to call them and if they don't have them in stock maybe they can order you one.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinner View Post
Do you know any where in Edmonton to buy the clam base tent?
I got my CLAM Command Post from http://www.riversideoutdoors.ca in Ontario.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Well I phoned TheFishinHole and the guy said that a lot of people have had this problem and to just bring it back. Now I don't know what tent to go with. Any ideas for a good 2-3 man tent?
I would like to avoid that. If I replace it with the same tent it will just happen again, and the Clam would require coughing up more cash (which I'm not inclined to do right now). I don't want to go with a smaller tent . . . I really like the room in the 6-man.

I'll fix it somehow, but if Frabill doesn't cough up a repair kit of some sort it may very well be the last Frabill item I purchase.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:37 PM

I have the same issue. I returned the first tent after it happened. It happened to the second tent the second time I took it out. Looks like the tents are constucted like ****
Old 01-18-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I bought a Frabill Outpost 3 man hub tent and only got to use it a couple of times before the grommets that hold the hubs to the material ripped out. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? Should I just exchange it or go with a different manufacturer? Thanx
I have the same problem. It is only pulling out on a single side but I am not going to take any chances with it.

So, I called Frabill and talked to their person in Customer Support (Michelle Gerard). They are very aware of this problem and it is happening lots. She instruced me to take it back to the place of purchase for a credit or exchange.

Basically, they have a distributor they are speaking with, apparently is a common problem. They are trying to address it. If you have problems returning it, try giving them a call. 1800-558-1005
Old 01-18-2010, 01:29 PM

Third set of hubs popped out of my Frab Headquarters yesterday - I fixed the first two. Not happy at all .. they need to send out free repair kits or it WILL be the last Frabill purchase I make.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:35 PM

i use the type tents for hunting also for ice fishing. i have noticed when you set it up you have to keep the door unziped and make sure the hubs are not crossing or get caught with each other. the smaller the tent the more tention there is on the hubs.also keep the material away from the hubs when you take it down. they have worked for me so far. i use amerstep for ice fishing and for hunting
Old 01-19-2010, 12:46 PM

Here is the reply I got:

Sorry to hear about your shelter. We contacted The Fishin Hole & they
will take back your ice shelter.

If you have any questions please call us at 1-800-558-1005.

Thank you,
frabill

This is the email I sent:

Hello,

I have your 6-man hub tent that I purchased just before Christmas from
the Fishin' Hole in Calgary.

My tent has been setup three times, and yesterday I noticed that the
fabric around one of the grommets securing a hub has started to come
out.

I have heard many complaints about this issue from other people. Most of
them have returned their tent. I don't want to do that . . . I love this
tent! If I exchange it for another Frabill 6-man the same thing will
happen. I'd rather not return it and get a Clam instead.

Are you sending out repair kits for this issue yet?

If not, do you have a repair centre I can take it to in Calgary?

Curse you, Frabill.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfespirit View Post
Third set of hubs popped out of my Frab Headquarters yesterday - I fixed the first two.
How did you fix the first two?

I just got off the phone with one of the gents at the Fishin' Hole, and he advised me that they had repaired a Headquarters for a customer.

Apparently it worked well, until they tried to get the tent back in the bag. The washer they used was too large to allow the tent to close properly.

The Calgary store has two Headquarters in stock. Returns on them have been around 6% so far. I'm thinking this is because people have opted not to return them.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:40 PM

I had the help of another board member (who likes playing with metal) in fixing them. We fashioned two larger 'washers' that were somewhat star shaped to fit between the eye bolt and fabric. It had to be shaped to obviously allow the unit to close and allow complete mobility for the rods. They were cut from 1/4 inch aluminum and a bit time consuming to make. They do work however.

I think some new grommets/washers might be a quicker and easier idea though.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:17 PM

I have 2 and my buddy has 1 of them and havent had any problems yet. we fished last weekend with winds up to 48KM so said the weather network. i will be going out again this weekend. r u guys pulling the roof sections out first???
Old 01-19-2010, 05:40 PM

I have been .. and, in fact, it was one of the roof sets of hubs that pulled out this time.

Just be gentle and maybe you'll be ok... perhaps the problem is limited to certain models.. I know others having the same problems with the Headquarters specifically.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnitloose View Post
i will be going out again this weekend. r u guys pulling the roof sections out first???
My MO is to pop the roof sections up from the inside after the sides are popped out.

Is that bad?

Old 01-19-2010, 05:44 PM

It seems to me that regardless of what you do it'll eventually tear. The fabric seems comparable to wet toilet paper... maybe not quite that bad but you get the picture.

Just be very very gentle and watch to ensure that the fabric behind your hub isn't stretched terribly hard as you open and close.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:51 PM

I have a 2 man Instashak from HT that I got from Cabellas. had it up about 25 times or more now, since Ive had it out probably 14 times on the ice, in every kind of weather, and I usually set it up in the living room at home to let it dry out. Havent had any issues at all, other than one pole coming out of the pocket the second time I had it up. I would buy another of their tents any time, Im extremely happy with it.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-19-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
My MO is to pop the roof sections up from the inside after the sides are popped out.

Is that bad?
i have been popin both of the roof's first, i think thats what it said to do in the instructions..i also poped the roof on my ice cube first never had any problems with that tent (ENJOY SCO22).. i have set one of mine HQ up in the basement about six time and havent had any issues but time will tell..

Last edited by turnitloose; 01-19-2010 at 06:53 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 01-19-2010, 09:18 PM

I to have had the same problem with my 6 man headquarters. Had two of them come through the wall now. Said to myself "No problem I'll just put a washer in there to fix it" Then I realize that it wont fold up , so now I just have to put them in by hand each time I set it up. I did think out taking a die grinder to the washer and making some grooves so the poles would fold properly but I'm worried that any sharp edges could cut the fabric and make my situation worse. Frustrating because I have only had it up maybe 15-20 times this year since I bought it. Does anyone know how long the manufactures warranty actually is? I would like to do something about it soon but I have heard that everyone is pretty much sold out for the year and I dont want to go without a tent for the rest of the season.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:29 PM

a guy should keep in mind after you pop up the roof first don,t let the tent twist in that position . that might put stress on the hubs.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:36 PM

I've opened and closed my Eskimo Quikfish 3 a hundred times (hub based). Never an issue. I've open and closed my Double Bull Blind (hub based) a hundred times. Never an issue.

I don't think I should have to hold my breath while opening my Frabill. Despite being extra gentle with it after the first two hubs pulled out (and were subsequently repaired), the third hub pulled it. The material is crap. The reinforcement on the hub sections of the material are crap.. that's all there is to it.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:08 PM

I cant believe so many people are buying these tents, sure there cheap dollar wise, but they also seem to be cheap quality wise, especially with all the problems that are posted about them on here. When the original ice cube first came out there was so many problems with them some stores pulled them off the shelves and sent them all back, now there seems to be even more of those types of tents, and still all the same problems. I wouldn't even go near one.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:28 AM

Just took the Frabill back to the fishinhole and got my money back. The manager at the west side store is probably the most unfriendly person I have ever met. I will never buy anything from that store again. Went over to wholesale sports and bought a ameristep 3 man which is bigger and way better built than the frabill 3 man. There is no toys r us grommets on it and it was cheaper than the frabill. It also has real tie downs on each side and comes with 8 lock down screws instead of 6. It seems to me that ameristep has the best built hub tent on the market. I highly recommend them. Only $219 can't go wrong with that. Anyone with this problem that has had their frabill for less than a year should bring it back.