Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-03-2009, 05:15 PM

Default repo trucks

I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with buying repo trucks from places like the repo depo. I got this address from another thread. Are you setting yourself up for trouble like maybe the owner gave it back because it was a lemon. Or maybe it has hidden liens on it. Maybe the owner still wants it and will take it back, who knows? Is it worth while buying repo trucks if you don't want any trouble? thanks artie
Old 05-03-2009, 06:18 PM

I have been watching their website and it looks like some decent deals. I would check it over with a fine toothed comb just to be sure. You are taking a rixk but you do with any used vehicle.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:24 PM

Is it possible to hide a lien? I thought if you did lien check, you would know. that would be the only thing I would worry about. Other than that, have a mechanic check it over.
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

Henry David Thoreau

"And we'll drink but not to forget
But to remember instead
All our happy years."

- Lowest of the Low, Subversives
Old 05-03-2009, 08:30 PM

Default Mechanic check not possible

I visited the one in Calgary and was told that the lien check is done and guaranteed clean. But they will NOT allow the vehicles to leave the lot. So no mechanics check possible. They said you're welcome to have a mechanic come with you but, that is it.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:43 PM

if there is a lien on the vehicle and then repoed, would that not cover the lien and just leave the old owner with a bill?
Old 05-03-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juice box View Post
if there is a lien on the vehicle and then repoed, would that not cover the lien and just leave the old owner with a bill?
Bingo! Its your purchase (or the Repo Depot's purchase) that has cleared the lein. I don't know if they buy the vehicles and act as resellers, or if they sell on a commission/service basis for the leinholders.

I've seen some nice vehicles when I drive by there.... some business repos as well ass some personal ones. I recall they had a bunch of Suburban/Expedition style SUV's that were industrial ambulances in their previous lives. Boats and trailers show up there as well.

The previous owners probably run the gamut from good at maintenance to nonexistant, I'd just not want to buy one where the former owner knew the reposession was imminent and was the vengeful type......
Old 05-03-2009, 09:19 PM

Yeah I think you're right Caber. The guys said they were the agents for the bank who still owns the vehicle. I do hate the late of willingness to deal though. They hide behind the fact that they don't own the vehicle and say the asking price is it.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:13 PM

Here is a site we've been looking at and contemplating. From what we can figure its auctions. Basically you email what you want to pay for the vehicle/rv/whatever and the highest offer wins. According to the past auctions there was a truck camper that went for $50. Its in Calgary, and there also repo'd vehicles. If anyone goes ahead with this, be sure to let us know your experience. Cuz some just seem to good to be true! lol

http://www.regalauctions.com/
Old 05-03-2009, 10:39 PM

Essentially you are buying used and rolling the dice. Some pretty good deals though if you are on the ball. I tested 2 out of there a short while ago and one truck was selling for $10K less than the buy out on my lease and it would have been a step up.

The other truck had 'red flags' all over it. You have to crawl under them sometimes. That rig had mud 'n such packed into places it shouldn't have been.

Pay a mechanic to give it a 'once over' before making a move. Really, it's just a private deal. Good luck.

Tree
Old 05-04-2009, 07:25 AM
Hoochie Papa

I know people who have bought from calgary.repo.com and all had great feedback. We even have looked at a few there ourselves. Some of the vehicles are small lot foreclosures, others are private. Some guy was living large during the O&G boom, and bought a fancy new truck. Now he is out of work, and can't pay for it. That is how a lot of them get there.
There are quite a few quads there too.
From talking to them, I think they give all the mechanical info they can get.
I would buy from there if the right truck came along.