Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-21-2012, 09:41 AM

Default Trying to get my daughter first fish near calgary?

I am new to alberta. I have done alot of searching and found alot of places suggested on this forum to fish. But so far been skunked. My daughter is 3, and can last about 20 minutes to a half hour before we resort to throwing rocks in the water which she can actually do for couple hours for the past 2 days, I have done alot of driving and tried out a few spots no luck.

We tried airdrie pond, dewitts pond, even drove out to mt lorette, and wedge pond. Today we are heading to pine coulee and i might try chain lake. She always asks to fish the tank at basspro. Friday when we picked up her fishing rod, we were walkin out and she says "the fishies are back there dad, I wanna go fishing you can catch a big one and Lilly can catch a small one" haha. Im thinking the basspro would be the best bet for her

This is my second fishing season here, she was too young last summer. I tried fishing the bow every weekend, from the bearspaw dam, down. Tried bowness park, tried edworthy. and waded a little bit. But never even got a strike. Back home i am used to fishing trout with a hook and worm. So the fishing with rapalas and spinners is new to me.

So my questions are these. Has anyone been out to the places i mentioned this year and got anything. If not suggestions on easy access to get her first fish? has to be shore fishing, my civic doesnt float
And I would like to know some tips for getting into some trout on the bow?
Old 05-21-2012, 09:45 AM

I think i saw on another thread that they just stalked airdrie pond and dewits on friday.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:57 AM

Default stocked

if they did they werent biting? there was quite a few people there but i never seen anyone catching any. I'll go back later this week and try. Mt lorette i assume is empty too, as there was a quite a few fishing and the water was clear enough i didnt see any fish. I assume if there was fish you could see them at that pond.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:35 PM

Try Midford pond in Cochrane. Close to the Tims and DQ (donuts and icecream help with slow fishing)
Old 05-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Banned

2 words - PINE COULEE. Bring a tub or 2 of minnows and some pickeral rigs, catch fish all day, LITERALLY! Perfect fishery for anyone who wants to catch a boat load of fish. All C&R but fun none the less. Go down the deerfoot until you hit Stavely then go west for 5 minutes.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:15 PM

I went Ice fishing at chain lake in the winter and the fish there were bitting the bare hooks, I am not sure how it fishes with no ice though
Old 05-21-2012, 07:29 PM

Mclean Pond out west of Brag Creek is a pretty good place to take a beginner after it's been stocked. I'm not sure if it has yet though.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:28 PM

i hit Pine Coulee today, and i PERSONALLY caught 40 walleyes, and 1 pike. my mom and dad got 2 pike and about 20 walleye between them. people on shore were catching alot too every couple mins someone would have one
Old 05-21-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter87 View Post
2 words - PINE COULEE. Bring a tub or 2 of minnows and some pickeral rigs, catch fish all day, LITERALLY! Perfect fishery for anyone who wants to catch a boat load of fish. All C&R but fun none the less. Go down the deerfoot until you hit Stavely then go west for 5 minutes.
I was there for 3 hrs yesterday and not 1 nibble...
Old 05-21-2012, 09:28 PM

Last Wednesday I was at Sibbald Meadow Pond. Lots of small trout, must have been recently stocked. Not sure how much is left after the long weekend though
Old 05-21-2012, 09:33 PM

the fish in dewitts and airdrie pond were stocked on may 2nd or 3rd, they will be stocked again on june 2nd (sat), my kids and i have been to dewitts lots of fish but still pretty small, son and his friends were at airdrie pond yesterday and caught over 40 trout. pine coulee is usually really good, and chain lakes is usually really hot all year long, had a few 200 + fish days out there.if your interested and let me know in advance my son and i can meet you at the airdrie pond or dewitts one night and show you what bait they usually bite on, just pm me and let me know. on the bow if you don't have a fly rod set up try usuing a bobber, 12 ft of leader 2 small splits shots and 2 bead head flashback hares ear nymphs, fish any where were the water is deep, drop offs, seams, around islands ect. these flies are by far the best all year flies for the bow river. anyways hope this helps
Old 05-22-2012, 09:54 PM

I have fished chain lakes a couple of times last year. it gets pretty busy, but it is not too far. It gets fished out almost every year so they always stock it really well. The only problem is that the fish are really small, but there is no size limit either. I have heard very good things about Pine Coulee, but have not fished there yet. i might give it a shot this year as i still have some minnows left over in the freezer from last year. I have had great luck at little bow provincial park. If you head to the east end of the lake there is a spill way that carries water from McGregor Lake and there is always tons of fish there. There is an access road that leads right to it, but i have only been there by boat, so not entirely sure how to get there. It is not too far from Pine Coulee, but a bit of a drive with a 3 year old. About 130 kms or so from Calgary city limits. Good Luck.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:59 PM
Banned

Wait a couple weeks then go to pine coulee.

Half a minnow on a bait hook 12-18" below a split shot. Straight down off the side of the dock.

Walleye are not exactly kid friendly though because they are covered with spines.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:04 PM

Default From Edmonton...so I don't know the current status...but

What about Allen Bill pond west of Bragg creek (near Elbow river).

Does that have some fish? I hear its good for beginners...yes(?)

Smitty
Old 05-22-2012, 10:19 PM

Grotto seemed to be good late on Friday
Old 05-26-2012, 09:26 AM

Default Thanks

thanks for the suggestions we are heading out again today and tomorrow. Ill post pics if she catches her first one.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:42 AM

First fish I ever caught was in glenmore reservoir down by the boat launch, it's a close and easy spot if your just looking to get her a first fish