Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-07-2016, 10:35 AM

Default My Dec 5 2016 Suffield Bull Elk Hunt

We went on my Suffield Antlered Elk hunt on Monday Dec 5 2016. Although we had access until Wednesday, our strategy was to not mess around and shoot the first legal beast we saw and head home.

The briefing started at 645 am in Ralston at the community centre- turn north off the #1 highway on 884 and there are large signs that you can't miss. About 120 hunters and helpers attended. Sign in was a breeze. Just make sure you fill this out

http://www.mywildalberta.com/Hunting...dElk-2016B.pdf

for each hunter and helper and have your POL/PAL, WIN card, hunting license, and your tags (in case they ask which they likely won’t if you have them). DON’T FORGET YOUR BRIGHT ORANGE OR RED VEST OR JACKET – YOU REALLY NEED IT OUT THERE. The staff tells you everything you need to know and they give you an excellent map. There is lots of friendly staff to answer your questions so go early to the briefing, like maybe 6:15 am. They also hold a sub-draw before the briefing for accesses to the National Wildlife Area (NWA) preserve but you need a hand held GPS to enter the draw (not a cell phone, a real GPS like a Garmin). Everyone that entered the draw 'won' the day I was there. I did not enter the draw. I understand it entails a fair bit of walking so you need a wagon or sled if you are successful. I like to stay close to the warm truck.

We got out of the briefing at about 730 am and drove to the NE area of the base where we talked to a range patrol guy who told us he had just seen a small heard a little north and on the west side of the road. We started driving north looking on the left and then one of my helpers spotted a MASSIVE herd of about 1000 elk on the east side of the road. We thought it was just dark brush until the brush started moving! I could not process what my eyes were seeing.

We drove around to the east of the herd (good thing there are roads leading everywhere) and I jumped out and began a stalk of about 500 yards to a sub-herd of about 60 that was slightly split from the main herd. I approached with the sun at my back and the wind in my face. Perfect. I got about 205 yards from the smaller herd and spotted a few shooters and one large 4 point that I decided on but he was surrounded by cows that would not move. I laid there waiting for a shot and even considered taking a head shot. After about 20 minutes another truck approached on the north and spooked the small heard towards the large herd. No luck. Back to the truck.

As we were discussing our next move about 6 trucks arrived to the west of the herd and a few more to the north …. and then many orange jackets started to approach the herd from the west and the north. We were the only truck on the east side but wouldn’t be for long. We figured the orange people would push the herd south so we started driving south hoping the herd would run into us. We stopped a few kilometers south and heard the shots from the north. Sure enough, after a while here comes about a 1 km long herd of perhaps 1000 Elk on the run – RIGHT AT US.

I was laying in the field a few yards from the road with an excellent rest watching the herd through the scope. The sound and site of that thundering herd approaching would rattle even the most seasoned chuck wagon driver. I was more than a little excited, so trying to get a bead on any one bull seemed almost impossible. I was starting to panic. They split about 150 yards in front of the truck and lucky for me a 12 inch 2 point decided to take a rest with no cow cover. I made my shot, he went another 50 yards and laid down. So lucky. The others scattered. We were surrounded by elk. Terrifying. About a third of the herd turned back north, a third went east, and the rest kept going south. Dust and snot everywhere. 9:55 am.

We drove up to my elk and went to work. Home in Calgary by 4 pm. Tenderloin on the BBQ at 5 pm.

Totally unbelievably fun day. We are so fortunate to have this opportunity in Alberta. Some day we won't, so put this on your list of things to do. The Canadian Forces personnel that run the base will make you very proud. Outstanding individuals.

I had heard most of the crazy stories about Suffield but what I witnessed firsthand this week was everyone behaving. I saw nothing that would prevent me from going back for my daughter’s 2 cow tags later this January. The base is much larger than I thought and it was very strange to drive 100 or so kilometers and not see a fence.

I hope this story helps someone else to enjoy Suffield. To those of you reading this that want to comment that it is not a ‘real’ hunt, please keep your negative comments to yourself. I do understand your point of view and your decision not to participate. Fine by me.

We had a blast!!
Old 12-07-2016, 10:48 AM

It is nice to hear a positive story for a change. I live in Medicine Hat and have not put in for that hunt just because of the negativity.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:05 AM

Pics or it didnt happen? Hahahaha. Pics plese. Spiker or not,lets see something. Good job.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:14 AM

Was there that day too. Would of been one of the other trucks or guys in orange Im sure. That large herd at the start of the day was something to see! Never seen anything like it. Just watching the steam rising off of 1000+ elk in the distance.
Its a different hunt for sure but its enjoyable and I would do it again.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:20 AM

Default Suffield

Good to see someone talk about a small bull taken. Still be proud, Suffield isn't always easy. I work out there and have had to wait while 1000 plus elk decide to move and cross a road. Something to see for sure.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
Pics or it didnt happen? Hahahaha. Pics plese. Spiker or not,lets see something. Good job.
We were told not to take pictures on the base. Probably could have but I didn't.
We left the head for testing and the hide for the critters.

All I have is the tenderloin just before the BBQ.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161205_162839_resized.jpg (42.1 KB, 431 views)
Old 12-07-2016, 12:16 PM
Banned

the best wild meat i ever ate came out of there!

enjoy it!
Old 12-07-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan S View Post
It's "fine by me" that you enjoyed yourself, but don't for one second tell me you understand my point of view! You don"t!
i agree. no fun being a kagaroo rat out there either
Old 12-07-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
It's "fine by me" that you enjoyed yourself, but don't for one second tell me you understand my point of view! You don"t!
Always one in the crowd. get a life bud.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:16 PM

Default Dec 5

I was in the NWA that day too, we had an amazing hunt!! We were on a big bull by 9am, good 1000-1500 yard stalk, we saw him from the truck and confirmed from the spotting scope he was worth a pack-out, wind and sun were perfect (other than being cold!!). Perfectly placed shot the 316 7/8 bull dropped in his tracks from 309yards. Took four trips to get him out, all in I figure we walked about 13-14km, half of that with weight on our backs.

Absolutely fantastic land, I felt lucky and blessed to see that much untouched land! Hundreds of antelope and deer, antler sheds ALL-OVER. Such a great time. I am going back Jan 5th.

We were packed and loaded by 2:30, passed 6 other people packing out bulls. Once we got into the middle of the block with the big rolling hills and grassland we didn't see much... I could see how a person could spend a whole day there and not see anything...

Later that night we made friends with some guys over drinks. We were told about the big herd (they were one of the other trucks, great meat 4x4), it sounded like an amazing experience, likely one that will become very rare in North America, we would have seen it but went left instead of right....lol. Maybe Jan!!

Overall the experience was NOTHING what I expected, I read every thread I could find prior to going there, I hovered over maps and satellite images and talked to 15 people for first-hand stories.... The stories of it being an all out gong show are over with now I think, the military has it figured out pretty good now, the draw system into the EPA and NWA work great for spreading guys out.... it's huge land!!! Half the people I talked to said they saw MAYBE 1-3 other trucks a day....pretty much just cruising around at 30-50Km/hr thru untouched native grassland....

I'm a backcountry, treestand, blind, stalk and walk kind of hunter that prides himself on ethics, great organic meat and amazing trophies.... I thought this was a great hunt!! I had a fantastic time!!!

One MUST remember tho.... that this is a cull...not a hunt, the size of these herds is a problem, not only for the ranchers... but if and when CWD does get into that herd it will spread it like wildfire across the prairie... a great way to be part of wildlife management and harvest a real trophy bull...

and our bull.... well.... fantastic flavor but boy is he tough... he will primarily be a sausage/burger/jerky bull...

I sure hope to get a chance at seeing the big herd in January!!!

Congrats to all the hunters with success stories out there.

We "never" took pictures either.... because we weren't allowed too....
Old 12-07-2016, 02:27 PM
Banned

Default Caragan k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
Always one in the crowd. get a life bud.
Lot's of free advice.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:29 PM

atta boy! don't stop now
Old 12-07-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingthefreezerfull View Post
I was in the NWA that day too, we had an amazing hunt!! We were on a big bull by 9am, good 1000-1500 yard stalk, we saw him from the truck and confirmed from the spotting scope he was worth a pack-out, wind and sun were perfect (other than being cold!!). Perfectly placed shot the 316 7/8 bull dropped in his tracks from 309yards. Took four trips to get him out, all in I figure we walked about 13-14km, half of that with weight on our backs.
That sounds like an awesome day - thanks for sharing!!
Old 12-07-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookset View Post
Was there that day too. Would of been one of the other trucks or guys in orange Im sure. That large herd at the start of the day was something to see! Never seen anything like it. Just watching the steam rising off of 1000+ elk in the distance.
I forgot about the steam - that was a bit spooky. Like an Oliver Stone movie.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:28 PM

Great story, I had pretty much the same experience except I was on a cow draw.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scouter View Post
always one in the crowd. Get a life bud.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:53 PM

Great story holeshot! Thank you for posting!
Old 12-07-2016, 10:56 PM

Thanks for taking the time to so thoroughly document your experience. It's very much appreciated.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:53 AM

Great story Holeshot...something to experience I'm sure!! Good luck to your daughter...you may need more freezers!!!

Quote:
What was your point here Ivan???? Besides being rude.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
the best wild meat i ever ate came out of there!

Enjoy it!
Old 12-08-2016, 09:33 AM

What a different experience!! Good stories..
Old 12-08-2016, 10:51 AM

Hey all just wondering if acess paperwork needs to be sent to the base before I hunt or do I just hand it in at the morning briefing? I'm going in on Jan 9 and just trying to figure evert hung out beforehand. Thanks
Old 12-08-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookset View Post
Did you get anything?
Old 12-08-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1985 View Post
Hey all just wondering if acess paperwork needs to be sent to the base before I hunt or do I just hand it in at the morning briefing? I'm going in on Jan 9 and just trying to figure evert hung out beforehand. Thanks
Nothing needs to be sent prior. Fill out the form in the above PDF link for every helper and the hunter and take it with you to the briefing. The form tells you everything else you need except the hand held GPS if you want to enter the sub-draw for access to the new area (NWA). Limited vehicle access in the NWA.

Also very important to have orange. Lots of orange.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:48 PM

Yup, how about a positive only year for AO? Negative and arguing lets save for General discussion.
A positive hunting experience is as good as good sex, so say what you will after the fact, there ain't no way to take away from it ;0
Old 12-08-2016, 01:08 PM

Opinions weren't asked for , so let's not bring them into this thread .
Cat
Old 12-08-2016, 01:37 PM

I was also there for this hunt. My brother and I were on the base for our first time and had no idea what to expect but kept an open mind. First off, everyone we met were extremely friendly and very helpful, everyone from the military to the fish and wildlife officers and even the other hunters. We put in for the lottery draw for the NWA on our first day. As it turned out there were not even enough people apply to have a lottery so everyone who applied was given access. We came up with our plan when we were handed or map and chatted with a couple of the other hunters in orientation.

After orientation we drove out to the access gate and tried to see any sign of elk on our way, not really knowing what to expect. We proceeded out to the access into the nwa, which is only accessable by a few roads and is strictly a pack in and pack out area. Before we got into the NWA we stumbled upon the same large herd that you other guys did! My mind could not comprehend what we were seeing. The herd was as far as we could see and was already on the move towards the NWA when we got there. We positioned ourselves in a spot to get a shot but the herd was bunched up and moving fast. I know it sounds crazy but it was damn near impossible to take a shot at a bull in that stampede of moving bodies. There were a lot of smaller bulls in that herd but I couldn't see anything that looked like the giant Bulls I'd been reading about.

We decided a better plan was to try to find a smaller group that had broken off from the herd so that it would be easier to get a clean shot at a bull. We found a smaller herd latter in the day and attempted to stalk in. The herd got spooked, maybe because of my poor stalking technique or another hunter, who knows. The herd left just before I could get close to the bull I was looking to get, a large bull 6 pts but had a missing left side. The rest of the day was pretty slow until the end when we walked in the NWA and found some Bulls up on a far off hill just before last light.

We returned the next day planning to hike in to the NWA where we had seen the Bulls the last day. We were driving down one of the roads into the NWA when we stopped on a hill overlooking a low area. We had the binoculars on the hillside for less than a minute when we saw a solo bull wandering towards us. It was not the big trophy bull I had hoped for but given that it was -28 without the windchill we dicided to take him. I wandered to a spot that I could take a shot and my fist shot was a little high on his shoulder but my second shot got him in the vitals and dropped him. After a few high fives and nothing but excitement over my first bull elk and my brothers first successful hunt ever we gutted him out and drug him back to my truck. Just the. A couple of boys we had made friends with in orientation pulled up and we all loaded him into the back of my truck.

I had a great time on this hunt and it really is what you make it. I usually hunt in the foothills, and bush so this was a lot different. Now that they have access into the NWA there is a lot less bull**** that happens I think. The hunt is what you make of it. If you have your heart set on a big trophy bull then your best bet would be to hike deeper into the NWA than I did and get to where they are hiding. But I am happy with my bull and the memories will last a lifetime. On top of that I have a freezer full of the best meat that I have ever tasted.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm_ram View Post
I know it sounds crazy but it was damn near impossible to take a shot at a bull in that stampede of moving bodies.
Ha ha. If someone had told me there would be so many elk that you couldn't shoot I would never believe it. But it happened.

Glad it worked out for you.

Would you do for the NWA draw again?
Old 12-08-2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
Ha ha. If someone had told me there would be so many elk that you couldn't shoot I would never believe it. But it happened.

Glad it worked out for you.

Would you do for the NWA draw again?
Ya I would do the NWA draw again. It seems like that is where all of the big Bulls are hanging out but you have to be prepared to go in there and get them. With the brutally cold temperatures it made hiking in a bit of a chore and I settled for a good meat bull. I'm happy with my choice. I was always told never pass up on the first day of the season what you would shoot on the last.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
Did you get anything?
Yes I did. Had a bit of an interesting experience out there but overall it was a positive experience and I enjoyed it. First day I was able to put 2 shots into a young 5x5 bull and watch it drop at 150 yards, gave it 15 mins and started walking over to it when another hunter came walking over a hill blowing a whistle yelling "thats mine".

I won't go into detail but you can imagine where the conversation went from there. Long story short range patrol was near and got involved and it basically came down to my word vs his. This other hunter seemed he was not going to leave this place with out that bull, I decided arguing in circles was not worth my time and effort and left him with the bull. Continued on for the day unsuccessful on another one.

Came back the next day hoping for good karma and hunted hard hiking in -30 windchill conditions from morning to lunch time. Was seeing herds of elk but almost all cows and a few spikers. Half way through the day we decided to do one more hike and get away from the road hunters; I was willing to shoot a small bull at this point ready to go home with meat for the freezer. We hiked to the middle of a section as far from roads as we could. Found a herd of about 250 and scanned through them. In the middle was by far the biggest bull we have seen!! They were grouped up pretty tight at this point but seemed to have a general direction they were heading. Had to hike out about 2 km to get infront of them down wind on a perfect little hill above them. As we crawled to the edge of the hill we got there just in time as they started to walk in our direction in single file right infront of us at about 250 yards. I was able to lay prone and watch every single elk walk through a pinch point single file through my scope. The bull was one of the last ones through and stopped broadside right as he entered my scope. Put one right through the vitals dbl lung pass through. He took a few steps and started breathing really hard and I put another one in the neck and he laid down and was done in seconds!

Seen hundreds of elk and probably 100 bulls mostly spikes and a few 3/4 points. And this one was the biggest we seen so was very happy to take him.

6 x 6 pretty nice elk and lots of delicious meat!

(working on trying to post a pic)

Tags
732, elk, suffield