Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-10-2018, 05:39 PM

Default Red Deer River honey hole

Hey guys it's been a couple years since I've been on the Red Deer River.If anyone has fished this river you'll know the spot I'm getting to.About 5km downstream from the dam there is a spot with a cliff and there used to be a cabin on top of it,last I checked there was a teepee on the edge last time I was there.Right below that cliff there is or WAS a significant drop off with huge boulders that had rolled down the cliff creating major current breaks and one HELL of a good fishing hole.Anyone been there lately and is it still the honey hole it used to be.True story about that spot.I was fishing camping at that spot.It was raining insane for 24 hours straight fishing was crap.I jumped in my tent and woke up the next morning to the most amazing thing I might ever see fishing.Right beside the bank below that cliff with the cabin on top.There must have been EVERY SINGLE brown trout from that area all rising withing a foot of me standing on the bank.I could have literally put a net in a gotten a full net.Must have been 50 brown trout all rising at once OVER AND OVER again this must have gone on for 2 hours at least.What a truly amazing site!And let me tell you there were some LUNKERS.This was July 2005 unfortunately we all know what happened the following spring.Anyways wanted to share that once in a lifetime moment.And if anyone has been fishing that stretch of the Red Deer would love to know how she is fishing.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:56 PM

Won’t be now
Old 07-10-2018, 08:27 PM

I heard someone went out there at 6:00 with a net and took 50 brown trout out.
and some of them were LUNKERS!
Old 07-11-2018, 07:15 AM

anyone have coordinates?
Old 07-11-2018, 07:23 AM

Default Red deer river honey

Every now and then nature gives you a glance at something unbelievable. That must have been very cool. Thanks for sharing that story.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:23 AM
Banned

That should reduce the pressure off his honey hole a little...well played.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:59 AM

Default nature can be cruel

First I just want 1 thing clear.I was using a net reference to create a visual as to just how many fish were rising lol lol.Also not worried about giving away the location of the spot because nature had it's way with the river.That flood in 2006 was truly an incredible force of nature.But was also very sad to see that fish populations had increased to a decent level, just to have mother nature do her thing with that flood.Its amazing the power of that 2006 flood was able to wash away boulders and carve away sections of river bank the wah It did.It completely changed the entire river.The red deer was changed forever,still hurts.Anyways gonna bring my girlfriends oldest son just turned 12 and introduce him to fly fishing at the end of the month.Gonna float and camp along the river and hopefully the fish are bitting.Happy fishing all
Old 07-11-2018, 11:52 AM

That big flood was in 2005 FYI. good luck fishing
Old 07-12-2018, 11:23 AM

Default Private Land

Private land which landowner would not like all the attention. Unless youre in a boat this area is not for camping or tresspassing. Permanent vegetation is no crown land. You will be charged.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clouserminnow View Post
Private land which landowner would not like all the attention. Unless youre in a boat this area is not for camping or tresspassing. Permanent vegetation is no crown land. You will be charged.
Areas from the edge of the river to the high water mark are crown and can be used by the public
Old 07-12-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Must have revealed your spot lol.
The river is for everyone maybe someone will witness it again and post a picture as id sure enjoy seing it.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:35 PM

Default No public access to river to get to high water mark. You will be charged!

Occupied private land stay off. Boat ok but no public access. Know the rules before you go.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:42 PM

you can walk the river to use it im sure
Old 07-13-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Occupied private land stay off. Boat ok but no public access. Know the rules before you go.
You must have missed the part about the river shore to high water mark is legal. The river isn't privately owned.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I heard someone went out there at 6:00 with a net and took 50 brown trout out.
and some of them were LUNKERS!
That explains why there are no more browns in the RDR!
Old 07-15-2018, 08:24 PM

LOL! All time ridiculous post award goes to....
Old 07-15-2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Rules?
Wher is this so called rule sign?. Is it at the pay to access river entrances?
Old 07-16-2018, 08:38 AM

Default Public Access

Access to the beds and shores of a river is subject to legal access. For example fishermen can access a stream through public roads or bridges which there are none in this case. Therefore crossing private land is illegal without permission. You will be charged. Not knowing is not an excuse.

High water mark is below permanent vegetation like willow, alder or trees.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Access to the beds and shores of a river is subject to legal access. For example fishermen can access a stream through public roads or bridges which there are none in this case. Therefore crossing private land is illegal without permission. You will be charged. Not knowing is not an excuse.

I assumed that is what you meant.

I tried to get a to a good spot for browns on the RDR this year that was a bit of hike. Too hard while the water is high. So, I gave up for now but will try later when the water is lower and "if".

Trespassing is not an option for me. I have my own problems on my own land with trespassers and the creek land here. I understand and can appreciate it.

Of course you can talk to the land owners and they may give you permission. I have not problem doing that. Unfortunately, It seems that does not happen 99.9% of the time. It is a blessing and a curse to have land on water bodies.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:

You are wrong in this case but I don't want to argue the point as I don't really care. It is a little known or ignored fact, especially among landowners, that range roads continue on as in this case right to the river. Every section of land in Alberta has a right of way even if farmers fence or farm right into the ditch or adjacent section. These right of ways are defined and measured in feet not speculation.

You are also wrong about the high water mark on the river, but again don't really care. Rivers are right of ways by federal law and have a set number of feet just like a high way. There are exceptions, Stauffer and apparently Jumping Pound to name 2. In these cases the landowner actually appears to own the stream bed, but this is an Alberta thing that would probably get thrown out of a federal court if anyone bothered to challenge it. This certainly does not apply to the Red Deer River or any other flowing waters that I am aware of.

If you really want to open a can of worms; land locked lease quarters are not truly land locked either. I have seen gates across range and township roads blocking access that wouldn't last 2 seconds in a court of law, but again, there is no shortage of dirt in Alberta, I have better places to go so don't much care.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:19 PM

[QUOTE=clouserminnow;3812780]Access to the beds and shores of a river is subject to legal access. For example fishermen can access a stream through public roads or bridges which there are none in this case. Therefore crossing private land is illegal without permission. You will be charged. Not knowing is not an excuse.

Do you mind posting your origin of documents that you are quoting?
Old 07-16-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
I assumed that is what you meant.

I tried to get a to a good spot for browns on the RDR this year that was a bit of hike. Too hard while the water is high. So, I gave up for now but will try later when the water is lower and "if".

Trespassing is not an option for me. I have my own problems on my own land with trespassers and the creek land here. I understand and can appreciate it.

Of course you can talk to the land owners and they may give you permission. I have not problem doing that. Unfortunately, It seems that does not happen 99.9% of the time. It is a blessing and a curse to have land on water bodies.

Its a great spot and fish to your hearts content as you are allowed to use immediate shoreline.
Search some threads on it and you will see a member posted the actual laws pertaining to the rdr federal and provincial.

Tags
brown trout, red deer river, spot