Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-27-2010, 07:50 PM

Default Less than a week to go!

Hi everyone.
As long as the weather stays warm we'll be fishing the brown trout streams later this week.
Ive fished for browns with dries and had great success. My problem is when the hatch is off what do you do? Try streamers.
From what i gather, we should use streamers right as the ice comes off, nymphs a few weeks later and dries as soon as the hatches begin.
For brown trout streamers, ive teid up some wooley buggers and some smaller bunny fir flies.
Here are some pics..

Old 03-27-2010, 08:11 PM

Nice

I looked at the eyes you've used on the bunny streamer last time I was in TFH, but I held off buying them as the seemed so light. I was looking for pike fly eyes, though. Do you find the ones you've used work well for brown trout streamers?

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:05 PM

the ones i used on the double bunny is a 7/32 ounce and i also use some tungston wire. I know you can get 1/4 ounce at the fishin hole.
I havent used this particular streamer for browns but i have had great luck with the bulls. This season will be my first honest attempt with streamers for browns. I will let you know how they work on this coming friday night.
This is my biggest brown from my buddies favorite creek. He made me promise not to tell where. 24 inches noe to tail without pinching the tail.

My hopes are high for this season...

Fishstix!!
Old 03-27-2010, 10:56 PM

I am just as excited as you, if you are a calgary local maybe we should hookup and save some gas.

I have been pouring over my maps and atlasses, I had good luck on some of those streams last season producing a 19'' Brown.

April 1st is coming fast

I cant wait