Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-31-2009, 09:27 PM

Default Big perch free giveaway this coming Wednesday..

Looks like the last few times out very few people came to bonk and take perch away.

Just curious...anyone still interested in free perch? Anything bigger than 6 inches can be cleaned...fair number over 8 inches and larger females are showing up now in the nets?

Wednesday is going to be another pull. Looks like close to 3000 came out on Sat. Most went to landfill. Sad but no frying pans to go to.

Please post if you can make Wednesday.

Thanks.

Sun
Old 05-31-2009, 09:36 PM

Smile

What time on Wednesday? If it's after 4pm then I'm there with bucket in hand.

Rob
Old 05-31-2009, 09:47 PM

Default Perch

If I can be their later in the day I will be there also.

Thanks
Old 05-31-2009, 09:58 PM

Default perch

where is this at
Old 05-31-2009, 10:09 PM

Sorry - I'm a bit lost on this one...

Where? What? How? Private stocked fishery? SRD sponsored cull?

Sorry if I've missed a pertinent prior post, but I'm intrigued.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:23 PM

Its a private trout lake, well used to be .
Someone introduced perch into it, hit fast forward to today where there are 4.5 million stunted perch in the lake, they are being netted to try and clean out the lake and to help restore it back to a trout lake.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:27 PM

I would love some perch. Just let me know where and when. Thanks

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 05-31-2009, 10:38 PM

aww a Wednesday again...i wish i could, only way i could get there is if someone is coming from near Marlborough park that would be willing to let me hitch...lol
Old 05-31-2009, 10:51 PM

Can you answer some questions on how this happened? How big is the lake? How long did it take to get to 4.5 million? How on Gods green earth did you guys come up with that number? I can't even imagine that many fish in a wee lake. I know someone put Coi (sic) in the Granum pond and it took about 5 years to destroy the trout stock. Huge fish, but ruined trout pond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianscott View Post
Its a private trout lake, well used to be .
Someone introduced perch into it, hit fast forward to today where there are 4.5 million stunted perch in the lake, they are being netted to try and clean out the lake and to help restore it back to a trout lake.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:51 PM

Will give me a chance to try this out ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjTlFwQb7D0

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 05-31-2009, 11:02 PM

Sounds Great, What time?? Is the place sundance??
Old 05-31-2009, 11:07 PM

I'd be interested if I knew what time and where.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:49 AM

There is "lots" of posts on the details surrounding this perch problem. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voAsscDkozc

Lake Sundance still is a private lake but I am able to get my fellow fishermen some access to help try and catch as many as possible. F&W are fully aware of our attempts to manage the perch problem through netting etc. I am looking at a 6:30 pm Wednesday to start the netting.

You need to bring large bags and buckets to take perch away. I need volunteers to help pull nets and to bonk perch on the head (bring a perch bonking stick!). All perch must be killed quickly and no live perch will be transported away. Transportation of live perch is a punishable offense.

Perch as small as 6 inches can be easily cleaned using the 10 second cleaning method. Anything smaller can also be cleaned or gutted and baked or barbequed whole and eaten. A quick filleting job can also produce boneless fillets. Perch sells for about $15/lb cleaned or $5 - 6 lb whole. I would love not to "waste" any in a landfill so an alternative to there is fertilizer in your garden or under a tree. Fish fertilizer has been around for a long time. Provides lots of nitrogen and helps promote worm numbers.

10 second method

Lake Sundance Perch information.

http://www.lakesundance.org/PDFs/Sta...%20Fishing.pdf

Hope this helps!

Thanks

Sun
Old 06-01-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1 View Post
I thought that was the only way to clean a perch unless you forget LOL and have to do it the other way .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
There is "lots" of posts on the details surrounding this perch problem. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voAsscDkozc

Lake Sundance still is a private lake but I am able to get my fellow fishermen some access to help try and catch as many as possible. F&W are fully aware of our attempts to manage the perch problem through netting etc. I am looking at a 6:30 pm Wednesday to start the netting.

You need to bring large bags and buckets to take perch away. I need volunteers to help pull nets and to bonk perch on the head (bring a perch bonking stick!). All perch must be killed quickly and no live perch will be transported away. Transportation of live perch is a punishable offense.

Perch as small as 6 inches can be easily cleaned using the 10 second cleaning method. Anything smaller can also be cleaned or gutted and baked or barbequed whole and eaten. A quick filleting job can also produce boneless fillets. Perch sells for about $15/lb cleaned or $5 - 6 lb whole. I would love not to "waste" any in a landfill so an alternative to there is fertilizer in your garden or under a tree. Fish fertilizer has been around for a long time. Provides lots of nitrogen and helps promote worm numbers.

10 second method

Lake Sundance Perch information.

http://www.lakesundance.org/PDFs/Sta...%20Fishing.pdf

Hope this helps!

Thanks

Sun
Why doesnt SRD net them and move them to lakes with High Walleye populations , and help recover some of the perch populations in diminishing lakes that have little to no perch numbers in them ? Maybe it would be just to smart of an idea for the government to make this move . Its not just Lake sundance with perch problems there's many of them . Why don't they do as Ive suggested instead of killing them , for a few guys to have a good feast .
Old 06-01-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
I thought that was the only way to clean a perch unless you forget LOL and have to do it the other way .

Why doesnt SRD net them and move them to lakes with High Walleye populations , and help recover some of the perch populations in diminishing lakes that have little to no perch numbers in them ? Maybe it would be just to smart of an idea for the government to make this move . Its not just Lake sundance with perch problems there's many of them . Why don't they do as Ive suggested instead of killing them , for a few guys to have a good feast .
genetics problems and disease problems.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Hmmmm that just sounds like some lame Government excuse but then again there's probably some truth to it . I know Each species has different Genetics . I also know that there's different Diseases in each species , but In a diminishing conditions again shows that the Government isn't working on recovering stocks of fish types other then Trout and Walleye . I don't know if its they think other species are not in jeopardy as us fishermen/woman who are out in the field can tell you that numbers are way down . Not to mention 20 years ago you don't remember catching walleye with a baseball size tumor on the side of its body . Or a White fish filled with tapeworms . IT to me seems its due to lack of work from the government agency's to do what they should be to sustain our fish populations.Its a complete joke if you ask me . With in 15 to 20 years there wont be a fishery in this province unless some severe changes are made .
Old 06-01-2009, 01:14 PM

But ill quit my peeing and moaning match and not knock a good thing . At least these Perch are getting used rather then rotting or taking up further population on the pond .
Old 06-01-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I fully understand that you don't want to introduce problems into an existing body of water. But at the same time with the money they use to build fish stocking couldn't they allocate some to net a lake like Sundance of the perch, put them in quarantine and make sure they are healthy then use them to stock places where appropriate. The bonus of them is that they reproduce easy enough so as long as there's good predators in there, you don't have to waste money to stock non-breeding trout in places year after year.

Places like Pine Coulee could probably use a more balanced ecosystem, walleye, burbot, pike AND perch. I know there's tons of hurdles but someone had to overcome those same hurdles in order to dam up a valley, convert it to a reservoir, stock it with thousands of 'non-native to that body of water' fish and then determine the rules for that new body of water.

Sadly, my feeling is that F&W just doesn't have the resources to investigate many options. I wish they got better funding from our "poor" government....
Old 06-01-2009, 01:53 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Hmmmm that just sounds like some lame Government excuse but then again there's probably some truth to it . I know Each species has different Genetics . I also know that there's different Diseases in each species , but In a diminishing conditions again shows that the Government isn't working on recovering stocks of fish types other then Trout and Walleye . I don't know if its they think other species are not in jeopardy as us fishermen/woman who are out in the field can tell you that numbers are way down . Not to mention 20 years ago you don't remember catching walleye with a baseball size tumor on the side of its body . Or a White fish filled with tapeworms . IT to me seems its due to lack of work from the government agency's to do what they should be to sustain our fish populations.Its a complete joke if you ask me . With in 15 to 20 years there wont be a fishery in this province unless some severe changes are made .
has been discussed to the point of "ad nauseam"....very seldom works introducing fish from water body to another.....even the same species....... even when u stock your trout pond from a hatchery....u are told not to move them.......as Sundance said....Genetics and Disease....only way to get them out is nets or chemicals unfortunately.....these guys have definitely not chosen the "easy" way.....Good on them IMO
Old 06-01-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshotz View Post
I fully understand that you don't want to introduce problems into an existing body of water. But at the same time with the money they use to build fish stocking couldn't they allocate some to net a lake like Sundance of the perch, put them in quarantine and make sure they are healthy then use them to stock places where appropriate. The bonus of them is that they reproduce easy enough so as long as there's good predators in there, you don't have to waste money to stock non-breeding trout in places year after year.

Places like Pine Coulee could probably use a more balanced ecosystem, walleye, burbot, pike AND perch. I know there's tons of hurdles but someone had to overcome those same hurdles in order to dam up a valley, convert it to a reservoir, stock it with thousands of 'non-native to that body of water' fish and then determine the rules for that new body of water.

Sadly, my feeling is that F&W just doesn't have the resources to investigate many options. I wish they got better funding from our "poor" government....
This is what im saying . Exactly . And the only reply you get is Genetics and disease well sounds like a joke to me .Government conspiracy , they would sooner lead one to beleave it then to actually fix the problem .
Old 06-01-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:

You are thinking of just the major problem with disease. These perch are all the product of maybe somewheres between 10 and 100 individual perch from the initial "bucket". That in itself does not make for good genetics. Also for some species...local genetics have been honed by nature to allow for best growth, disease resistance, general survival etc.

Stocking is not the solution to every problem and definitely not stocking from a lake like this that has mixed stocked trout from many private hatcheries over the years.

Sustaining fish stocks does not include supplementing with stocked fish. For a healthy lake to stay healthy you need a sustainable harvest and probably specific to an individual lake rather than blanket regs. We need more research money for F&W to become more focused on the problems...reduced limits given the population increases over the years seems to make the most sense...slot limit, periodic catch and release closures, spawning protection etc. This is a very complicated issue.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:22 PM

Default Access

My sister live in the area. Can I just let her take me there or do I need to contact you or anybody.

Thanks
Old 06-01-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
You are thinking of just the major problem with disease. These perch are all the product of maybe somewheres between 10 and 100 individual perch from the initial "bucket". That in itself does not make for good genetics. Also for some species...local genetics have been honed by nature to allow for best growth, disease resistance, general survival etc.

Stocking is not the solution to every problem and definitely not stocking from a lake like this that has mixed stocked trout from many private hatcheries over the years.

Sustaining fish stocks does not include supplementing with stocked fish. For a healthy lake to stay healthy you need a sustainable harvest and probably specific to an individual lake rather than blanket regs. We need more research money for F&W to become more focused on the problems...reduced limits given the population increases over the years seems to make the most sense...slot limit, periodic catch and release closures, spawning protection etc. This is a very complicated issue.
OK fare enough ill openly admit that im not well voiced in the genetics and all that knowledge of fish species and all . But genetics has to do with the how the species survives and reproduces and all that ,and how well it fights infection and all that stuff. Isn't that correct ? Well then These fish are surviving minimal problem in a pond so be it . Why not make an attempt at giving them a chance to survive in a lake let them grow up or be eaten by bigger predatory fish . To me it seems like an escape goat by the government to let someone come in and net all these fish kill them just so that you can have a big fish fry. You cant tell me that all the other provinces that have way more successful fishery's then Alberta , worry to keaney on the genetics . And if they do Id really like to know how they go about it . There's places around you can keep 5 plus walleye in one day and you cant keep 1 in Alberta . That Makes me really mad . Time to put some people that know what there doing rather then cramming there face in a book , or thinking they know what there doing . I know this topic has been discussed a 1001 times but it still hasn't been discussed in a proper way , instead you get guys who think they know . As a fishermen who knows what he sees , I have nothing to hide3 by saying Ive had several 300 + fish days . And yet to be told there only catching 17 of that size bracket . It makes me wanna scream bloody murder . I don't believe the government . They cant make a friggin move with out letting 50 people down the line know about it . Its time we get people in that are going to make a difference before were completely screwed .
Old 06-01-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1 View Post

This method works great for the small ones and if your making pickled perch!! That was the only method I knew when I was a kid.

I am going to try to get down there and help out on wednesday.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:23 PM

Damnit. Wednesday and thursday are the only days I CANT make it. Ugh! If it
Old 06-01-2009, 05:30 PM

Default Wednesday

Hey Sun, I should be able to make it down again on wednesday ; are you going to be there this time ? Or will you be on another fishing excursion.... lol
Old 06-01-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
OK fare enough ill openly admit that im not well voiced in the genetics and all that knowledge of fish species and all . But genetics has to do with the how the species survives and reproduces and all that ,and how well it fights infection and all that stuff. Isn't that correct ? Well then These fish are surviving minimal problem in a pond so be it . Why not make an attempt at giving them a chance to survive in a lake let them grow up or be eaten by bigger predatory fish . To me it seems like an escape goat by the government to let someone come in and net all these fish kill them just so that you can have a big fish fry. You cant tell me that all the other provinces that have way more successful fishery's then Alberta , worry to keaney on the genetics . And if they do Id really like to know how they go about it . There's places around you can keep 5 plus walleye in one day and you cant keep 1 in Alberta . That Makes me really mad . Time to put some people that know what there doing rather then cramming there face in a book , or thinking they know what there doing . I know this topic has been discussed a 1001 times but it still hasn't been discussed in a proper way , instead you get guys who think they know . As a fishermen who knows what he sees , I have nothing to hide3 by saying Ive had several 300 + fish days . And yet to be told there only catching 17 of that size bracket . It makes me wanna scream bloody murder . I don't believe the government . They cant make a friggin move with out letting 50 people down the line know about it . Its time we get people in that are going to make a difference before were completely screwed .
Really, by me reading every post here, it sounds like your ranting at the messengers. It's not a conspiracy. Have you ever heard of the influenza? 4.5 million estimated fish in a small lake. Transported to other healthy lakes? Add the media and it looks like the H1N1 scare we just had. I agree, you can't just go moving fish around southern alberta.

Last edited by Renslipevol; 06-01-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renslipevol View Post
Really, by me reading every post here, it sounds like your ranting at the messengers. It's not a conspiracy. Have you ever heard of the influenza? 4.5 million estimated fish in a small lake. Transported to other healthy lakes? Add the media and it looks like the H1N1 scare we just had. Oh yeah, and if you would have read the 22 page article on lake sundance they did try Rotenone. I agree, you can't just go moving fish around southern alberta.
No I don't have a problem with any one of the messengers . And how can you compare a diminished fishery to the flu ?

My problem is the Government in the way its lack of managing the fishery . After reading up on the information , it seems that things never change . Its not just 1 lake with over population im looking at the entire picture but using Lake Sun dance as an example to why don't they do something with these fish other then kill them and eat them or kill them and use them for fertilizer or whatever . It baffles me to know why beside Genetics why they wouldn't move these fish else where . I'm coming into the topic knowing about what im talking about after looking at different provinces with no problems or excuses with there fishery . Granted they don't have the fishing pressure we do in Alberta but you know that when there's places in the east you have 5 or 6+ keep limits , could be accounted for the same number of fishermen and women who are in this province able to tag the odd fish keep or toss back . I'm sure if you evened it all out it would be close along the board . This might be a little confusing . Anyway I gotta get going will argue this when I return later .
Old 06-01-2009, 05:59 PM

I think it is a problem all over the place. If you are able to watch "the fishing network" theres commercials every 10 minutes on about dumping your bait buckets and traps in a different lake where they came. Its a huge problem, not only with sport fish, but baitfish and crayfish as well....
Old 06-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
No I don't have a problem with any one of the messengers . And how can you compare a diminished fishery to the flu ?

My problem is the Government in the way its lack of managing the fishery . After reading up on the information , it seems that things never change . Its not just 1 lake with over population im looking at the entire picture but using Lake Sun dance as an example to why don't they do something with these fish other then kill them and eat them or kill them and use them for fertilizer or whatever . It baffles me to know why beside Genetics why they wouldn't move these fish else where . I'm coming into the topic knowing about what im talking about after looking at different provinces with no problems or excuses with there fishery . Granted they don't have the fishing pressure we do in Alberta but you know that when there's places in the east you have 5 or 6+ keep limits , could be accounted for the same number of fishermen and women who are in this province able to tag the odd fish keep or toss back . I'm sure if you evened it all out it would be close along the board . This might be a little confusing . Anyway I gotta get going will argue this when I return later .
1) so talk to SRD about the problem
2) read the previous posts.......this is a private community which at the time of selling, had a feature "a trout pond" until someone thought different....wrecked their recreational fishery...they bought,,, they own it.....good on them to try and get it back....this lake has nothing to do with SRD other than the fact that sundance has advised to them what he (et al) are doing...and have their blessing....thus "DO NOT TRANSPORT LIVE PERCH"