Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-29-2013, 11:46 PM

Default Setting the hook

Hello Everyone,

I am quite frustrated at the moment. I have been fishing today using a nymph suspended under a strike indicator. Regardless of the setting moving or still, the indicator goes under (see fish flash) and then it gets off. Any ideas how i should set the hook on a barbless fly, what is the actual technique? Last year I don't remember it being a problem but today I was losing my marble with missed fish.

thanks everyone,

happy Canada Day!
Old 06-29-2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Mountain Boy View Post
Hello Everyone,

I am quite frustrated at the moment. I have been fishing today using a nymph suspended under a strike indicator. Regardless of the setting moving or still, the indicator goes under (see fish flash) and then it gets off. Any ideas how i should set the hook on a barbless fly, what is the actual technique? Last year I don't remember it being a problem but today I was losing my marble with missed fish.

thanks everyone,

happy Canada Day!
Some days your the bug and some days your the windshield, some days I hardly miss a fish and other days I hardly feel a fish. I would check the hook to make sure it's sharp first off, secondly try and keep a straight line between yourself and indicator. Another thing you might try is to use a bigger indicator, if there is enough resistance to going down they might hook themselves. Every day is different.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-30-2013, 12:08 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Some days your the bug and some days your the windshield, some days I hardly miss a fish and other days I hardly feel a fish. I would check the hook to make sure it's sharp first off, secondly try and keep a straight line between yourself and indicator. Another thing you might try is to use a bigger indicator, if there is enough resistance to going down they might hook themselves. Every day is different.
Long constant sweeping strip , lifting the rod tip can pull offering away from fish.good luck
Old 06-30-2013, 12:26 AM

Maybe you needed to be a bit quicker? I find that even a small delay when nymphing can cause missed hook sets. You could also try a sideways hookset.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I would check the hook to make sure it's sharp first off, secondly try and keep a straight line between yourself and indicator.
I agree. The first thing that I would check is the sharpness of the hook. Secondly, I would try to keep the tightest line possible.

Every once in a while, I have an epic day of losing fish. However, if that extends to 2 days, I begin to check my gear and technique.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:58 AM

I find that usually a lift in the rod similar to casting is enough so long as the rod movement is downstream. Need to be quick though, reaction timing is everything. Doesnt need to be a hard sharp set, just quick and downstream motion.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:46 AM

Let me guess dewitts? Lol
Should ask what you were using for a fly too? I see a lot of nibbles when I use a fly with a tail....like a pine squirrel leech.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:38 AM

I have been nymphing for twenty plus years and some days are like that. Sharp hook, going a size smaller nymph can help. Try to keep the sag out of the fly line and Tippett as this causes a delay in movement when striking.
A very wise old fish man once told me you strike a marlin and tighten a trout.
I use a quick sideways flick of the rod as a method of tightening. Have observed rainbow and browns in New Zealand when acting as spotter bump the nymph and then turn and take on a second try. Some times I think they just get the timing wrong.
Mostly the mistakes are mine.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:15 PM

here is a good read , I have gone from three misses to 4 in a row

David
http://midcurrent.com/experts/how-to...on-tiny-flies/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Mountain Boy View Post
Hello Everyone,

thanks everyone,

happy Canada Day!
Old 06-30-2013, 09:04 PM

Make sure there is no fluorocarbon between indicator and fly line. The stuff sinks and slows down the hook set as you have to pull it out of the water. I only use the fluoro for the last few feet next to the flies, and mono for the rest of the leader.
If your indicator is just moving and not fully submerging, it could be the fish are just swirling around the fly checking it out rather than taking the fly. Little fish tend to dart in and nip and stuff rather than the slow, deliberate take of bigger fish.
I've always found that hard, fast hook sets when indicator fishing are the way to go. You may want to try tiny little 1" strips to keep the line as tight as possible to get rid of any time delaying slack.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:29 AM

Thanks for all the tips and info guys!

I think I just needed a place to vent my frustrations.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:17 AM

Something I've done, with stuff I use on sinking lines, or naked floaters with long leaders, is tie the fly onto a circle hook. I've tied sedge pupa and damsels and dragons and leeches and Clousers on those, works well. The big hooks don't need weighting, and circle hooks work.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:24 PM

When stillwater fishing, I only see this happen with this years stockers or if the takes are very soft. With the little guys, try a strip and lift hook set at the same time, if you are still not quick enough, try to anticipate the strike as well, sort of like anticipating a green light when you need to get in front of the guy beside you in other lane when stopped at a red light. When trout are biting very softly, watch for other signs before the indicator going under. It may twitch, it may start moving sideways, your line may straighten up or you just have a feeling that something is not right (sixth sense). Set the hook on any those situations. Hope this helps.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:38 AM

tight lines
Old 07-02-2013, 06:08 PM

Default Bang On!

Doc you are right on all levels.
They were this years stockers, and the indicator did move and shake before going under.
haha thanks for the advice!