Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-03-2008, 10:50 PM

Default What kind of Rings & Scope

I just wanted to get some opinions on what type of rings and scope I should be getting for a 7mm Browning BLR. I will be hunting in wooded areas and prairies.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:12 AM

Get the best you can afford. Zeiss 3x-9x are very good for the price. I have many Leupolds. I own one burris and will sell it to anyone interested in order to get another Lupy or Zeiss. I would not get bigger than 40mm front objective as handling suffers IMHO. I use Leupold rings and bases almost exclusivly and have had excellent results.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 03-04-2008, 05:59 AM
stubblejumper

I have owned many leupolds,and a few zeiss scopes.as well as many other brands.For the same price,the zeiss conquest is brighter than a similar leupold.It also offers a constant eye relief as the magnification is changed.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:28 AM

Default bushnell and nikon

For the money i would take a 3200 or 4200 elite in a 3x9x40...Rings i like leupold and burris...Weavers are very strong but very ugly...Love the Nikon scopes to..try the buckmaster with the BDC..You can find them on ebay for half the price of in the city..
Old 03-06-2008, 02:21 PM

Inexpensive Weaver bases. Burris Steel Rings and a Leupold Vari X II or III. If on a budget the Leupold Rifleman series is a good buy as well. You can't go wrong with the Bushnell Elite 3200/4200 either. I've really gotten to like the old school Weaver K6 and K4 tough as nails, good clear optics and won't break the bank.
go home from us in peace.
We ask not your counsels or your arms.
Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
May your chains set lightly upon you,
and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Samuel Adams 1775
Old 03-06-2008, 02:39 PM

Steel rings and bases.........Leupold glass.Not the 1/2 MOA adjustable Rifleman series either, IMO stupid of the company to cut corners there.You're 3 hours from the US border.I went to Scheel's in Great Falls last summer and they have Zeiss 3X9x40mm Conquest for $399 and VXII 3X9X40 for $299 and a VXIII 2.5X8 for $399.You are allowed $750 duty free.Compare that to Wholesale......................Powder is $10 a pound less as well...........Harold *do some camping while you're there

Last edited by Pioneer2; 03-06-2008 at 02:42 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 03-07-2008, 12:14 PM

Default Scope & Rings

Thanks for the input fellas. I was talking to one guy at a sporting goods store and he said I should use 1" high mounts. That way I would not have to use a hammer spur on my rifle. Now I always thought the closer the scope is to the barrel the better.

And I know that Browning does not make a spur for the BLR, so can I get an aftermaket one.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:29 PM

Uncle Mike's likely has one that fits.....................If you don't need high rings get the medium ones..............Harold
Old 03-09-2008, 09:45 PM

i have opti locks sitting on my tikka and there great you can take the ring off the base put it back together have have same poi, also like to elite 3200 series for the money or else leupy, if you can afford it i would buy a 50mil objective aswell, more light when legal light is closing fast and that is often when you need it
Old 03-10-2008, 01:06 PM

I agree with the Leupold users, for both the scope and the bases

I would also shell out for the extra 30 or 40 dollars and have the fellas at P&D to mount it for you too. They loctite everything, true up the bases and once that scope goes on, it will stay there come hell or high water. They put a Leupold Vari X III on my 45-70 and that thing is still holding fast over a couple thousand rounds and hasn't budged a bit.

Let us know what ya buy and how it works out for ya.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:14 AM

be careful with the locktite, the parts are so small that when medium strength is applied it can be a pain in the ***** to get off. I had to have my rings heated with a torch at the smiths to get a scope out, your best bet would be to not apply locktite and then put a coat of nail polish over the head of the screws that you would have put locktite on then when you want to remove the screw simply go get some of your wife/girlfriends nail polish remover and your set
Old 03-11-2008, 02:13 AM

Default First post........

Optics can make or break any rifle combo......buy the best you can afford, you won't regret spending the money on quality optics (you get what you pay for here) and a lot of the new reticles are really good too ! ( Leupold's B&C, varmint reticle, L.R.) Very user friendly if you take the time to READ the literature and follow up with the field work.

ANYWAYS...........Hi to everybody else, just looking around to see what may be of interest here !!!
Old 03-11-2008, 07:10 AM

NO...on the locktite..NO...NO...NO.this stuff has no business touching a rifle
Yes...on quality optics
Yes...on quality bases
NO...alternative to savings on optics, buy the best you can afford then add 50%. scopes can transfer to other guns.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 03-12-2008, 03:13 PM

Consider breaking away from the cult of Leupold. I had one and there is nothing at all wrong with it.. but why the big cost? Lifetime warranty?? So what, other companies have just as good a warranty. Sightron is a great example. They are still flying under the radar because they are relatively new but the quality is extremely good, and if you read up you will see generally terrific reviews. Mine is an S2 series, and the glass is every bit as good as the Leupold VX2..it's a one piece tube..has 60 MOA more adjustment than the leupold and the warranty is as good or better(haven't put it to the test mind you, but they are pretty clear about lifetime warranty). And it was 75-100$ cheaper than a comparable Leupold. You know how when you just pick up a product and weigh it in your hands, some feel like cheap junk and some are solid? Well.. all I can say is that I think they are not going to stay inexpensive for long.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:59 PM

My DAD (RIP)used to say ..."Cheap gear ain't good, AND Good gear ain't cheap and you can take that to the bank buddy"...and it applies to everything ..my son......tools, clothes,WOMEN......everything I tell ya!! hehehe......Buy the BEST, You can afford....Good Luck!.....BTW...I love the 3200 & 4200's, nice piece of glass!!