Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-08-2008, 08:07 AM

Default 3" #2 lead for Coyotes?

I can get a really good deal on a few boxes of 12 gauge Remington Nitro Mag buffered shells 3" 1 7/8oz #2 and am wondering what your thoughts are for coyotes out to 50-60 yrds using an extra full choke.

Pheasant Hunter
Old 03-08-2008, 08:58 AM

The french guys I hunted with when I was visting Ontario used them in the Marlin bolt actions when they were running the coyotes with their hounds.
That is until I pulled out my Anshutz .222 - the next week two of them boiught Remington 788's in 22/250!!

In all actuallity thye did quite well with the number 2's.
I remember one vividly that we ran for out three hours that was shot from about 4 yards with with one shot.
When we skinned it out, we found only two pellets, one in the neck and one in the foot!

Cat
Old 03-08-2008, 09:03 AM

Default trial and error

There are to many variables for a clear yes/no answer.
Barrel length, choke used, ammo brand...
Test the load on a large cardboard at different distances and I'd say if you can get 1/2 the pattern to cover the size of a coyotes vital area 10"-12"
then you're good to go.
You'll have to be aware of your shooting distances in the field.
Years ago I used a plain Mosseberg with 3" lead BB with success.
Sometimes if you get the coyote to close then you may have to "let him run" and pick a distance for the best shotgun pattern.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaAl View Post
There are to many variables for a clear yes/no answer.
Barrel length, choke used, ammo brand...
Test the load on a large cardboard at different distances and I'd say if you can get 1/2 the pattern to cover the size of a coyotes vital area 10"-12"
then you're good to go.
You'll have to be aware of your shooting distances in the field.
Years ago I used a plain Mosseberg with 3" lead BB with success.
Sometimes if you get the coyote to close then you may have to "let him run" and pick a distance for the best shotgun pattern.

I will be using a autoloader with choke tubes. I have extra full,full,mod,ic. I have looked around and no one maufactures 3" BB lead anymore that is why i though i should grab a few 3" #2's while they are available.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:26 PM

i personally would go with a heavyshot or dead coyote load that is proven to bring yotes down out to 70-80 yds
Old 03-08-2008, 03:57 PM

I killed a coyote at 20 yards with a load of Winchester HV BB I think that if your inside 30 yards you would be able to take down a coyote.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:50 PM

Default 3" x #2

I wouldnt hesitate using #2 shot in a 12 gauage for coyotes.
It'll be worth your time to test shoot at different distances to get an idea how the "patterns" vary.
Different barrel lengths and chokes will influence the "patterns" either way.
Holo sight or similar would be a great assett.
Good luck
AL
Old 03-08-2008, 09:22 PM

All good advice here. But to determine your max range I'd check penetration as well as pattern. After all just because the pattern is tight enough doesn't mean the shot has enough energy left to penetrate into a coyote. The question is...what to use?

I'm just winging it at this point, but maybe something like 3/8 inch plywood. It you get full penetration on that you should be able to get far enough "inside" a coyote. Anybody else have any idea on a penetration standard? Or am I out to lunch?

triggerpress
Old 03-08-2008, 09:41 PM

I've shot yotes with 4,5+6 shot one with a 3" .410 and the rest with a 20 gauge.Twenty to thirty yards the norm.I squirreled away 100 lbs of lead #2 and BB shot just cause.......................Harold
Old 03-08-2008, 10:16 PM

Why would you want to use a shotgun on yotes?
Old 03-09-2008, 03:54 AM

its more fur friendly because of the lack of a gapping hole on the opposite side when shot at 30 yds with a 22-250 goin 4k
Old 03-09-2008, 09:26 AM

in my younger years I happened to get a couple yotes that had bird shot under the hide when skinning them out. I think if your going to use a shotgun keep it under 30 yds. Your #2's should be ok. But like was said before I would pattern your shotgun at various ranges and don't shoot past the range that contains about 1/2 your shot.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:51 AM

We used to use ssg or 00 on coyotes years back when we may have used the snowmachines and trucks to get close enough. but thats when young and stupid and didnt care what we wrecked or if went to jail.

http://www.sirmailorder.ca/show_prod...15b88184e94354

Last edited by willy; 03-09-2008 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:51 AM

Default shotgunning for coyotes

Penetration is part of the distance factor...obviously the longer the distance the less killing energy.
As for when to use a shotgun I personally used it when I was a kid without a shooting budget for an accurate scoped rifle.
You can always pick your shotgunning terrain such as being in bush, willows, sloughs. Set-ups in bush areas with cow paths will allow the coyote to trott down those paths into close range.
I've read that wherever night-time hunting is allowed...callers use shotguns for fox/coyote/coons in the dark.
ALBERTA AL
Old 03-12-2008, 02:41 PM

NS Beagler: Why would you use a shotgun on yotes? To kill them! Easier to cleanup when more than one comes in at close range.............Harold
Old 03-12-2008, 03:39 PM

Got one with my 10 gauge with BBB at 120 Yards... Dropped him in his tracks!...

that was a Blast... pun intended!...
Old 03-12-2008, 07:32 PM

I call BS 120 yards no way.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:47 PM

Default shotgunning coyotes

Yes, shotguns might be sort of fur friendly to the skinner except the taxidermist or furrier wouldn't appreciate all the tiny holes which weakens the leather.

Brushing-out a coyote pelt is a little more work too since the fur balls-up at every pellet entrance wound.

I'd suggest fewer & larger pellets as being be more advantagous to the skinner and furrrier and also provide the energy for quicker kills.

With all the modern chokes and shotgun shells there might be a good recipe out there.

I saw a video just this evening where the caller carried a scoped rifle on his back...electronic caller in left hand and shotgun in right arm.
I wondered how he packed all that plus a coyote or two. Make 2 trips?

The Beretta Extrema II ten gauge semi auto would be a great calling shotgun.

AL