Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-28-2008, 08:28 PM

Default Most Frustrating Fishing day ever!

Well today I went to my spot near spray lakes a small chanel that runs off it near the summit of Chinamen's peak (Canmore). It was crystal clear and we could see literaly 100's of fish near the bridge and so the fishing began.

NOT A FREAKIN BITE! I tried every spoon/spinner/jig I had and they just didnt seem interested? It looked like 2 HUGE trout werre spawning and lots of whitefish were flollowing with various smaller trout. The biggest trout seen was easily over 7lbs and near 2ft long.

I am from Ontario and pretty much know how to fish well there but I guess I must have been doing it all wrong here in ALberta? Ive caugth many fish at the same spot before 99% with Black/yellow 5 diamonds but not today and I never ever seen that many fish in that area before?

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get the fish to bite when they all clustered together under a bridge in the 100's ? I was thinking maggots next time or some form of legal bait and also I was fishing between 5pm and 8pm so I might have been fishing the wrong time of day? Anyway any help on how to catch em when they seem to be clustered would be awsome!
Old 09-29-2008, 11:12 PM

For trout I usually use worms, and fashion something similar to a pickerel-rig with my line so that the worms sink close to the bottom of the lake. Works pretty well for me.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:06 AM

When spinning gear fails it never hurts to try fly gear. If you only spin cast I'd try a less aggressive presentation like a set rig (ex pickerel rig). Did you try a Slip bobber set up? Last two techniques rely on bait so not an option if its bait banned waters. By using a bobber you can fish a wet fly effectivly with spinning gear. Another thing to consider is that if you can see them they can likely see you. Try standing back a little, making very slow movements and very little noise. Hope this helps Good luck and tight lines.

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 09-30-2008, 12:34 AM

If the fishing is slow try slowing down your presentation. Or the opisite speed things up. Also pay attention to fine thing like maybe on the top of the water. Drop shot is a great system also works well . Very similar to a picrell rig but the fish wont get gut hooked .

The diagram I drew up this shows for ice fishing but you can cast with this type of rig also.

Last edited by BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES; 09-30-2008 at 12:37 AM. Reason: added a diagram
Old 09-30-2008, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Very similar to a picrell rig but the fish wont get gut hooked .
pickerel rigs dont gut hook fish if you use circle hooks Just dont set the hook hard, just a nice sweeping motion
Old 09-30-2008, 09:47 PM

Ty all for the help and hopefully I dont have to work this weekend and I am gonna head out to the same damn spot n show those fish who runs the river lol ! On a serious note I have a hard time understanding most fishing lingo mostly because I just fished with my family back home and we just always used worms on a hook lol. Out here last year was the only time I ever went to lures instead of bait.

I know what a jig/spinner/spoon is and some other stuff and I totaly get what you all mean by changing presentation. I previously had luck with my 5 diamonds making it swim along the bottom at a decent pace with occasional yanks to intice near by fish which seems fine then.

What I seen last time was a WHACK of whitefish I mean well over 80 and 2 HUGE trout liek seriously I almost cried not being able to catch em, I almost wanted to go in like a bear n paw em out but better judgment prevailed. THere was also smaller trout to and I am almost certain the 2 big trout were spawning and I am not sure at all if they even eat while doing so?

My goal now is to go there and get a nice bucket of WHities cause there was some biggies and hopefully that will save some trout eggs to cause I assume thats what they are eating. Anyway ty all again glad I found this site and hope to post some pics of some tasty mountain whities!