Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-17-2011, 07:00 PM

Default places ice free and fishable

Ive been trying to get a list of the places that have open water right now
and is fish able!!! besides rivers.
i got word that theres a few places around lethbridge with open fishable waters
and ive noticed rings of water start to surround the areas around calgary.

so if anyone has anything they could add to the list please lemme know
Old 04-17-2011, 07:05 PM

give henderson lake a try use weedless jigs! and keep close to bottom
Old 04-17-2011, 07:09 PM

Every one of the smaller places around lethbridge and other parts of southern alberta is open.

No need for weedless jigs in henderson right now since the water is still to cold for very much weed growth yet.

You can go chuck minnows if you want to use bait or chuck a simple spoon or cranks bait. Those fish in there eat pretty much anything they see.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:12 PM

your allowed bait in henderson?
Old 04-17-2011, 07:16 PM

Ya, why wouldn't you be? Pretty much every pike lake or pond in the province allows for bait.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:27 PM

Thats soooo awesome!!! i had nick sharron in mind or how ever you spell
it cus i always seem to do pretty deadly there on my fly rod~~!!
someone told me it was ice free but i wasnt about to beleave them till i asked
the pros haha sooo excited for my trip to lethbridge now next weeknd!!
Old 04-17-2011, 07:43 PM

use a jig and a minnow then for the pike. they wont chase your lures because of there metablosim right now.
try nic for brookies with a wooly bugger
Old 04-17-2011, 09:07 PM

Again you are wrong FH7.

I was throwing cranks at nich sheran and had pike chasing it every cast. If I would have had my smaller cranks box I am sure I would have gotten into some more fish. Same with henderson. Those fish with chase your hook all the time.

The fish at nich sheran were also hitting bigger cranks being trolled around the lake by a couple guys in a aluminum. I also tried a slip bobber with a single hook and minnow and landed 2 brookies and a small pike on that. All the bigger pike followed the cranks though.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:35 PM

nope...
i guess its about water tempitures
and your ice out has been gone for quite awhile now i guess.
I fished lakes up north and around this time if you moved your minnow they wouldnt hit it.(just after ice out) after the water tempitures warmed up the next week they started to move a little and was alot more open to moving baist such as small slow moving raps. but they wouldnt see intrest after it was moving too fast. the lakes down there have been ice out for sometime now i guess and the pike have already spawned and due to the ponds the water wamrs up alot quicker super speeding there metebolsim up to the max.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:54 PM

last seasons blindman river pike was also the same thing as the ice came off late and the pike were sluggish. just barly took a jigged jerkbait of the shore
Old 04-17-2011, 11:10 PM

I could go fish the oldman in the open areas and get pike on cranks and spoons tomorrow with this weather being crappy and the water still very cold. If pike are hungry or agitated they will bite.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:20 AM

FH7 I agree with npauls - cranks work from ice out to ice up. Pike are predators and will hit cranks at anytime of the year!

Before they put seasonal(spawning) closures on Pike, I used to go out at ice off and the pike would hammer the cranks in the shallows!

Yes you can catch fish with slower presentations, but sometimes you can catch more with a little more speed.

And sometimes it is the speed that trips their trigger!

Actually, cranks work from ice out to ice up applies to all species that take cranks regularly.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 04-18-2011 at 06:36 AM.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:22 AM

[QUOTE=npauls;910502]I could go fish the oldman in the open areas and get pike on cranks and spoons tomorrow with this weather being crappy and the water still very cold. If pike are hungry or agitated they will bite.[

the ice has still been out. the guide taught me everything to spring pike up north. i cant try it out on my home lakes because there closed til may21st after the pike are out of the shallows spawning.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:00 AM

Fish Hunter 7 - you do seem to know a lot of stuff, but you know, you're allowed to be incorrect from time to time. There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to fishing. Just get out, relax, and have some fun with it

Jebus knows I've been wrong my fair share of times

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 04-18-2011, 03:17 PM

He does seem to know alot. Which is weird because I beleive just last year I caught him at Sylvan fly fishing with a real minnow on the end!
Old 04-18-2011, 04:04 PM

I am just saying FH7 that your ways may work here and there but there is no concrete for sure way of fishing all the time. There is a lot of different things that can and will work. The way you type things and post on threads makes it seem like you know all and that's the only way of doing things. Try posting a little less and reading a little more and soak up all the knowledge this board has to offer. I have learned quite a bit over the few years I have been on here and now try to still learn whatever I can but also help out with info that I may know.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell0724 View Post
He does seem to know alot. Which is weird because I beleive just last year I caught him at Sylvan fly fishing with a real minnow on the end!
mitch i was still learning haha and it was this other dudes fly rod which was amazing to cast. so i got to try his technque with a minnow and a j hook.
and i still pwn you at whites in sylvan
Old 04-18-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
I am just saying FH7 that your ways may work here and there but there is no concrete for sure way of fishing all the time. There is a lot of different things that can and will work. The way you type things and post on threads makes it seem like you know all and that's the only way of doing things. Try posting a little less and reading a little more and soak up all the knowledge this board has to offer. I have learned quite a bit over the few years I have been on here and now try to still learn whatever I can but also help out with info that I may know.
please direct your concerns to FH7's manager
Old 04-18-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
mitch i was still learning haha and it was this other dudes fly rod which was amazing to cast. so i got to try his technque with a minnow and a j hook.
and i still pwn you at whites in sylvan
Ya Ya Ya That was years ago now I would beet you.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:58 PM

oh whatever it was in fall a couple months ago let me know when your ready to compeet on the bow with me
Old 04-20-2011, 11:01 AM

Haha you guys are crazy, fishing is nothing to get so intense about!
unless your fishing a bait ban catch and release area and some rude imigrint
comes and throws out some bait and catch and kills your favore big brown trout lol,

thanks so much for the advice!!! i dont prefer to spincast i mostly fly fishing!
and besides the woolly bugger i have some deadly flys ive developed backeast
and changed around a big for the bow and they always do deadly at Nich Sharron, ive had 15 fish days on brookies on these flies every day of the year
so im excited to get down there and getter done!!!!! my gf will be spin casting
tho so maybe i willl take some of your advice to help better her odds lol

once again thanks soo much for the advice really looking forward to a great weeknd!!
Old 04-20-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
oh whatever it was in fall a couple months ago let me know when your ready to compeet on the bow with me
For what it's worth... unless you're fishing in a derby or tournament, fishing isn't supposed to be about "competing" with anyone (except maybe yourself)... So relax.

And also, as it's been mentioned in here already, always fishing one style or technique, or relying heavily on them, in a certain body of water will only get you so far. You need to be versatile in technique and presentation for any body of water. Certain styles may work awesome one day, and the next day a different style may be needed to entice fish to bite. That's the great thing about fishing!
Old 04-20-2011, 11:48 AM

FH7:

All you have to do is start your post with Generally what I find works best is and guys won't poke at you so much. Cut and paste it in your post at the beginning. Add a dot in between sentences and you're good to go. Spelling... well I don't think there's any hope there. JK

Anyways good on you bud. Keep at it. Most kids your age are getting into trouble but you have a head start on the important things in life.

TR
Old 04-20-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post
For what it's worth... unless you're fishing in a derby or tournament, fishing isn't supposed to be about "competing" with anyone (except maybe yourself)... So relax.

And also, as it's been mentioned in here already, always fishing one style or technique, or relying heavily on them, in a certain body of water will only get you so far. You need to be versatile in technique and presentation for any body of water. Certain styles may work awesome one day, and the next day a different style may be needed to entice fish to bite. That's the great thing about fishing!
me and mitchel are pretty competive and we go to school so competing is a must with us.