Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-20-2011, 07:27 AM

Default Anyone have info on bamboo fly rods?

Looking for any info on an old bamboo fly rod that was found while cleaning out the attic. It is an ODA brand rod with 3 different ends. It is in an original mahogany box with some flies and hooks that have never been opened. The mahogany box is in rough shape on the outside but I dont believe that the rod has ever been used. There is no reel with it. I will try to post some pictures next week when the owner returns.

Thanks
Les
Old 04-20-2011, 08:08 AM

Smile It takes me back!

It all started with split bamboo rods. The English ones, Hardy where very expensive, at least to my grandfather. He fished salmon in the Marimichi south west branch. The rods action was very soft, the line was silk and was difficult for short rookies to pick up off the water.

Two other choices were available a split bamboo outfit that came from Taiwan I think, and it had an extra tippet, and could be used as a spinning of fly rod.

The other solution was a $10 fiberglass rod from CTC that served me well for 10 years.

Have a close look at how the eyes are attached, it should give a clue to weather it is closer to the Hardy or the Taiwan.

If the flys are snelled, or poorly tied, if the extra tippets are warped, I'll bet on Taiwan.

Love to see the pics.

Oh and bye the way, with modern lines it will work fine but the tippets are easy to break, that is why there are extras.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:22 AM

I have a Hardy neo cane #6 from the 60's..what i would do is Google cane rods then check yours... some are worth big money ..so do check and don,t use as it is very old and you don,t know where it was kept etc.. David
Old 04-20-2011, 05:13 PM

bamboo rods are very expensive and can reach prices over a grand. dont snap it
Old 04-21-2011, 01:44 AM

You want to get in touch with Don Andersen ( Lord of the Cane) in Rocky Mnt House --his e-mail & PM link is on this site in the members list....
Old 04-21-2011, 07:01 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I will check into it a little more and post some pics after Easter.