Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-30-2008, 02:27 PM

Default 7mm accuracy

I recently purchased a 7 mag and can't seem to get better than 2" groups at 100yds.from the bench. I'm using Winchester xp3 175grn ammo. I'm wondering if the 7 is a fussy eater? If so, what should I try? I do not reload. Suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Kranky
Old 01-30-2008, 03:00 PM

Generally speaking the 7mm Mag has the potential to be a very accurate cartridge. More info on your rifle might help.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:01 PM

my last 7mm rem mag 2-3 years ago, was a bit fussy. i had to try 5 different factory loads before i found what she ate. "my" gun settled on 160 grain Nolser Partitions.

what are you using for a rest? handling the recoil well?
Old 01-30-2008, 03:07 PM
sheephunter

If it's a brand new rifle, there can be a breakin period with some barrels or it may just be a case of trying a new load. Some rifles, however, don't reach their full potential until they have had a 100 or so rounds run through them. I don't think it's a matter of calibre but more likely the barrel. There are a thousand variables that will affect accuracy before you get down to comparing the inherant accuracy of certain calibres versus others.

Last edited by sheephunter; 01-30-2008 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:10 PM

I'm going to try and do this without writing a novel. Firstly, some guns just don't like some types/weights/brands of ammo. I had a .270, that I tried desperately to get it to like Winchester 130 grain ammo. 4-5" groups was the best I could ever get using that set up. Finally, I got tired of defining insanity. "Doing the same thing but expecting different results" I bought some Federal 130 grain ammo the old value pack stuff, and headed to the range. Groups shrunk dramatically, to right around the 1" mark.

I have heard a lot of stories, no first hand experience myself, but lurk around these forums for a number of years, you learn stuff. Anyway some people talk about their 30-06 not shooting 165 grain bullets very well but get excellent results with 180 grain. Some guns just like different bullet weights.

If I was in your shoes, and you are set on 175 grain ammo, try a different brand. If Winchester ammo is where your heart is, try a different weight/style bullet.

I also shoot a 7MM Mag. and haven't found mine to be overly fussy, but all I have fed it have been 160/162 grain bullet reloads. I don't know if I got lucky right off the bat or not, but I don't recall people complaining about the 7being fussy either.

Of course, there is always the check to make sure scope rings/bases are tight.

And in the grand scheme of things 2" on a hunting rifle will be accurate enough to kill out as far as most people should be shooting anyhow.

I'm sure others will chime in as well.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:23 PM

Yeah there are lots of variables,
My .35 Whelen for example I bought brand new and tried load after load and at the 26th load I decided I should have the trigger set down from its' factory setting.When I got it back and before I shot it I deciede I would crimp my bullets and seat them a little deeper and the next two loads out of it were under an inch @100yds.Now the only thing is I don't know what actually fixed it but it shoots like a dream now.So I have a sheet with 28 different loads of different bullets and powders.I would bet trigger pull and crimping were the ones.I think the factory setting was 5-6lbs and i had it set down to 3.5lbs.Check your factory loads,sometimes if the bullets have a cannilure on them they will be crimped at the factory.They say crimping them makes the pressure more consistant.If they are crimped then look elswhere ie:trigger,bullet weights.I know of a few 7mms that really like 150 gr bullets.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:35 PM

Rifle is a new Savage synthetic stainless. Scope,rings, bases are all tight. I'm shooting from sand bags. The recoil is not excessive, so shouldn't be the problem. Maybe I'm just being fussy. I'm used to much tighter groups from my old 270. And your right, 2" is probably tight enough. The break in theory is interesting, I've only put 40 rounds through it so far. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:39 PM
sheephunter

First thing I'd try is some different weight and style bullets
Old 01-30-2008, 04:08 PM

7's seem to like a hot load. Step down a bit in weight - the 175 is maybe a bit heavy for most things. Try a Federal 165 Game King in the Premium - the most power you can get.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:41 PM

I concour about going down in bullet weight, but there may be other issues as wel.
i'd go right through the rifle , from top to bottom.
Check all the scope screws ( and try a different scope),pull it out of the bed and check that for bearing surfaces, and recheck the guard screws after.
Try pushing a tight patch through and see what happens as far as patch tension goes.

lastly, get another shooter that you know is an excellent shot with heavy calibers and let him shoot it.
Surprising thhings can and will sometimes happen.....
Cat
Old 01-30-2008, 05:24 PM

I would suggest going down in bullet weight as well. In the 7mm, 140 or 150 may work better. Remington has some Premier AccuTip bullets with boat tails. Federal has Sierra GameKing boat tails as well.

http://www.remington.com/products/am...7MMRA*PRA7MMRB

Ron
Old 01-30-2008, 05:28 PM

2" groups at 100 yards for a hunting rifle still = dead deer.
If it's not a target rifle I wouldn't worry the deer won't care if the groups are pretty
Old 01-30-2008, 05:32 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rena0040 View Post
If it's not a target rifle I wouldn't worry the deer won't care if the groups are pretty

At 300 yards that equates to a 6" group though...now you may not have a dead deer and truthfully, there are very few factory rifles today that will not shoot MOA groups with some proper care and feeding. I definitely wouldn't be happy with a 2" group, especially after only having shot one type of bullet from a new barrel.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rena0040 View Post
I agree, but most rifles will go less or can be made to go less than 2" these days with a little tweaking.
Cat
Old 01-30-2008, 05:50 PM

I know it may seem like I'm being picky, but it is a confidence thing. If the best I can down all propped up and comfortable at the range is 2" groups, a guy might not feel good about taking shots he would normally make. Then your mind starts messing with you.

After reading the replys here I think I'll try some different ammo. If I continue to have problems, I'll take the gun apart and go through it.

The last new rifle I purchased was a 270 winchester. It shot great right out of the box. I guess I expected this one to do the same.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:03 PM

I think it depends what rifle you have. My back up rifle is a rem. 710 in 7mm. It shoots 2" groups and has killed a few deer, I couldn't be happier with it for the money. If you bought a Sako and it's shooting 2" groups after trying a few loads then I'd be concerned.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:45 PM

Default 7mm

I had a model 700, 7MM Magnum that was very fussy with ammo. The Remington Sciroco loads were like a shotgun pattern at 100 metres from my rifle, yet the grouped beautifully from my buddy's Winchester M70. The Federal, Nosler Ballistic tips didn't handle much better than the sciroco loads.

I switched to Federal Fusion loads (I think they were 165 grain) and turned out some excellent groupings. That rifle was a tack driver out to 250, after that the bullets started to spread out too much for my liking.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:46 PM

Have you checked the scope for parallax? Put it on the bags and center the target (out past 100m), then move your eye around while watching the cross hairs. They should not move off the target.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:29 PM

The scope is new too, Elite 3200, but I'll try that.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:03 AM

Default My new rifle

I bought a 7mm Mag last year. Tikka T3 Laminated Stainless and tried some cheap Winchesters 150gr, Federal Grand slams 145gr and then finally found that Federal Barnes triple shocks 140 gr worked amazing. I was disappointed at first as well, but found a factory load that works great. Bought 10 boxes since they were hard to find. I would suggest giving them a try. Your rifle will shoot better when you find the right one.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:25 AM

I have 2 - 7mm Mags in the cabinet, I have shot everything from the 139 SSTs to 175s (all reloads) but what I have found is that the 160s have had the tightest groups, 175s were good as well. The 160s are shooting sub MOA. As Sheep mentioned you will have a break in period before the barrel is free of any nics and inperfections. Try as many loads as you can get your hands on, all depends on what weight of bullet you want. The 160s are more than enough for Moose and Elk, 175s have a bit more jam, just find what shoots best and go with it.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:11 PM
stubblejumper

My hunting partners own a total of five 7mmremmags,and all will shoot sub moa with 140gr handloads.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:47 PM

Default keep the wieghts down

I shoot a 7mm weatherby mag and i have found over the years that the 7mm's gererally like the lighter weight bullets. I shoot 150 grain barns X and they are going at 3200ft/second. There is no doubt in my mind that every time I try a new powder it has to be at or just over max grains to get the best accuracy. The balistics will tell your that anything over 160 grians for the bullet will cost you dearly in speed. Since i have swicthed to the barns X (yes expencive) i have yet to have a bullet not pass through on a moose or deer (can't seem to find a Elk to try it on). I'm all about speed and accuracy and don't care much about bullet weight. The barns X gives the pass thruogh that you need for a blood trail if it is needed. That is way more important than a big old slow bullet stuck in a moose's shoulder any day. Over all it is best to gun down and up the accuracy. I have been fortunate to only have wounded and lost two animals in 82 kills. Practice pays.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:18 PM

Don't be happy with 2" groups. A bullet 1" low and a bit left, say, and one 1" high and a bit right @ 100 yards aren't even close to being within 6" of each other at 300. 7mm Rem Mag is the finest long range conventional caliber there is, IMHO, and should be capable of legit 4"- 6" groups at 400 yds.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:23 AM

Default bullets

I use 175 gr Nos Partitions over a good dose of IMR 4350 the best she is going to do is about 1.5 inches not the best not the worse it is a least minute of moose. I really like the 175 grain as it does its job, but shove a 150grain Nosler ballistic tip through the rifle and it shoots minute of flea, but 150grain is not my desired bullet of choice for larger game. I do love my 7mag though, I also admit my use of powders is a little old school for some, but IMR 4350 does tripple duty for me it works and I have alot of it. Good luck good hunting
Old 02-03-2008, 10:35 AM
stubblejumper

Quote:
I really like the 175 grain as it does its job, but shove a 150grain Nosler ballistic tip through the rifle and it shoots minute of flea, but 150grain is not my desired bullet of choice for larger game.
Try the tsx,and you will find that the 140gr tsx will penetrate every bit as good or better than the 175gr partition.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:01 PM

My round of choice for my 7mm is a 140gr Winchester Supreme Accubond... it shoots tight at 100yds... My setup is a Rem 700 SPS stainless w/ Leupold Rifleman 3-9x40

Also, for what its worth, a buddy and I shoot the same round, and same gun (different scopes) and shoot the odd gopher for fun in the head at 250yds...

A 2" group it definately not acceptable. Have you boresighted that gun at all?
Old 02-13-2008, 06:02 AM
stubblejumper

Quote:
A 2" group it definately not acceptable. Have you boresighted that gun at all?
What does bore sighting have to do with group size?
Old 02-13-2008, 06:45 AM
Gone Hunting

keep a strain on er.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtennex View Post
Don't be happy with 2" groups. A bullet 1" low and a bit left, say, and one 1" high and a bit right @ 100 yards aren't even close to being within 6" of each other at 300. 7mm Rem Mag is the finest long range conventional caliber there is, IMHO, and should be capable of legit 4"- 6" groups at 400 yds.
X2

I had quite a bit of trouble getting a hunting load for my new savage last year. I was expecting much better out of the box accuracy. It ended up shooting AMAXs to 0.6" which is great but that doesn't help much outside of the range. Best I managed from handloads was just over an inch. Probably good enough.

Like you said, it is a confidence thing. As above, 2" at 100 technically means a dead deer out to 300 but there are so many other variables (like a lack of a bulls eye) that you really want better. Since you aren't handloading, your best bet is to try different manufacturers/bullet weights etc. Luckily, from a terminal ballistics point of view, just about anything out there will work. Just keep trying and see what the gun likes.