Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-15-2008, 11:14 AM

Default Beretta Xtrema2

Hey guys,

I took all your advice from last month, and bought a 12Ga Beretta. I was sweating the price a little. I new that I was looking for a semi, and I've always wanted a Beretta. Hopefully it'll do the trick this fall. What loads are most of you shooting for the 3.5" semi's? I've heard a lot about the Kent precision 3" in BB with 1 1/8 load, and 1475 fps. A guy I spoke to said that this was the best combination for the larger loads and shoots well out to 55/60 yards which is good goose range. What kind of choke would you recommend for this gun? I still have to experiment with the different loads and chokes, but a little help on where to start would be great.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:56 PM

I shot an Xtrema a few years ago in SK for a week or so and was pretty impressed with it- Surely the nicest 3.5" auto on the market right now.
While I only shot 3" shells in it (which by the way worked just fine on big and little Canadas, snows, specks, cranes and ducks out to 50 yards or so, provided I did my part and put the pattern on the bird's head) I think Kent's 1 3/8th oz load of BB (3.5") at 1550 would work fine in a MOD or IC choke. If you want to take it a step further, also pick up one of Briley's LM or IM chokes and see what they do on paper with your gun. In a 3.5" shell, there is really no reason to shoot anything but BB shot...

The best advice I can give you is to take the gun to the local shotgun club and shoot a few rounds of trap with it, ideally with an experienced shooter at your side. The Xtrema is slightly adjustable in LOP, drop and cast and getting it set-up properly right from the get-go is a good idea.