Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-16-2018, 02:37 AM

Default Catch 22

I stopped by the local pub last night for a couple and ran into some guys and was in there longer than I planned. Since I drove there I did not think it was a good ideal to drive.So I got a cab. I walk to the pub this afternoon and there were two parking tickets on my truck for being parked more than 2 hours. I did not want to drink as much as did and drive but either way if I park there I get a couple tickets and if I drive that's illegal too. Its a no win situation.

Bobby
Old 06-16-2018, 02:49 AM

Terrible but cheaper than dui. If you got time explain it to a judge might find pity on you for doing the right thing . Hail Mary
Old 06-16-2018, 03:56 AM

That's a crappy situation to be in for doing the right thing.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:39 AM

consider it " paid parking" be grateful you didnt drive . that could of been worst .

oh , and by the way , thanks for not driving !
Old 06-16-2018, 08:02 AM

I think you still won...
Old 06-16-2018, 08:08 AM

Your location is indistinct so it's hard to tell where you live, but in Calgary and most large cities there are services where a two person team will come pick you up, one will drive you home in your own car while the other follows so that they can continue on through the night serving more clients.

I've used them probably a half a dozen times back when I was younger and doing such things. Aside from saving parking tickets it's also better for security as cars parked overnight near bars tend to get either broken into or stolen more than they do at your home. The other factor is that it's home already for you the next day, no need to take a cab, get ride from anyone or bicycle to it in the morning. I think the cost is less than or equal to the two cab rides if memory serves.

I think one such service in Calgary is named Keys Please. I know there are more. A former tenants Dad owned such a service, and he's a lawyer. Some benefits to operating such a business is that the drivers don't need a taxi license as they're not driving you anywhere in their car, they're driving you in your own car. They'll often have ads in pub washrooms, servers should generally know the name of such services to call.

Also, with your story of being responsible you might be able to get those parking tickets reduced. Also, two tickets within 24 hours seems excessive, I think one ticket should cover you for a full day!

The best search term to find one in your area seems to be "designated driver service" and your city

Last edited by CaberTosser; 06-16-2018 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:28 AM

Oops.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Your location is indistinct so it's hard to tell where you live, but in Calgary and most large cities there are services where a two person team will come pick you up, one will drive you home in your own car while the other follows so that they can continue on through the night serving more clients.

I've used them probably a half a dozen times back when I was younger and doing such things. Aside from saving parking tickets it's also better for security as cars parked overnight near bars tend to get either broken into or stolen more than they do at your home. The other factor is that it's home already for you the next day, no need to take a cab, get ride from anyone or bicycle to it in the morning. I think the cost is less than or equal to the two cab rides if memory serves.

I think one such service in Calgary is named Keys Please. I know there are more. A former tenants Dad owned such a service, and he's a lawyer. Some benefits to operating such a business is that the drivers don't need a taxi license as they're not driving you anywhere in their car, they're driving you in your own car. They'll often have ads in pub washrooms, servers should generally know the name of such services to call.

Also, with your story of being responsible you might be able to get those parking tickets reduced. Also, two tickets within 24 hours seems excessive, I think one ticket should cover you for a full day!

The best search term to find one in your area seems to be "designated driver service" and your city
I use this service in Calgary all the time. Way better than leaving your vehicle to be broke into. Cost isn't much more then a cab. It's a great service.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2018, 08:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot Rite View Post
I stopped by the local pub last night for a couple and ran into some guys and was in there longer than I planned. Since I drove there I did not think it was a good ideal to drive.So I got a cab. I walk to the pub this afternoon and there were two parking tickets on my truck for being parked more than 2 hours. I did not want to drink as much as did and drive but either way if I park there I get a couple tickets and if I drive that's illegal too. Its a no win situation.

Bobby
Don't really see what the complaint is.
You admit there was a two hour limit. How are the bylaw people supposed to know why your vehicle was there?
Again thanks for not driving...but it's better than your car now being impounded and you facing vehicular manslaughter charges.
I think this is one of those instances where you're not going to get a lot of sympathy.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:53 AM

A wise man once told me:
leave your truck at home son don't take your truck to town.

I've known many people that drove to the bar for a couple that turned into a lot then the "I think I can make it" thought enters the impaired mind.
No truck no risk
jail + $12,000 fees and fines + walking for a year or worse, 2 parking tickets cheap like borsht.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:59 AM

Well unless there is some stupid clause designed to extract revenues, you only committed one parking offense, by one action. It’s would be like a speeding ticket for every foot traveled.

You did park for more than two hours, but is the bylaw written such that you get a ticket for more than 2 hours and less than 24. And a different ticket for more than 24. You get the concept...one action one violation without a end time limit.

Also I suspect this is a private parking lot.....so someone would have had to call your vehicle in and ask them to enforce the parking violation. When was the tickets issued? Could even be the pub staff themselves writing the ticket. All of which if raised up to the owner would not be good for business.

Seems if someone came in to work in the morning is when they would have noticed your vehicle.....but being as there is pub there, it would be obvious someone didn’t drink and drink......so it would take a real Adze to get you ticketed.....or another business that hates the pub.

Dig a little deeper into the two issues.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:38 AM

If the tickets are City Bylaw go contest them,, they will likely waive them based on the story. If it is Impark etc ticket call them and ask to get them cancelled, if they refuse to do anythig rip them up and toss them.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:23 PM

the damn sob came by at 9;30 and at 12;00 and wrote me up twice. If I drive I'm illegal and I leave my truck I'm illegal.
I have to be careful what I say here as I have already been reprimanded.

Bobby
Old 06-16-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
the damn sob came by at 9;30 and at 12;00 and wrote me up twice. If I drive I'm illegal and I leave my truck I'm illegal.

Bobby
Something doesn't make sense. Were you written up twice for the exact same thing or two different offences?
I've just never heard of two tickets for parking to long.

As others have said, good job on not driving impaired. You did right.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:21 PM

I could see 1 ticket but 2 in kinda extreme
Old 06-16-2018, 08:52 PM
Banned

I feel your pain OP I live 100 meters from a well established drinking place 1St Round and Hudson's before that.. Not uncommon for the parking n_a_zi_'s to leave coupons on "thoughtful" citizens" leaving their vehicles over night. I wrote to MADD and all I got was feeking CRICKETS!! They don't really GAS either
Old 06-16-2018, 09:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
I feel your pain OP I live 100 meters from a well established drinking place 1St Round and Hudson's before that.. Not uncommon for the parking n_a_zi_'s to leave coupons on "thoughtful" citizens" leaving their vehicles over night. I wrote to MADD and all I got was feeking CRICKETS!! They don't really GAS either
So in other words I should be able to park where ever I want with no ticket as long as I can claim I was drunk?
Or...now imagine this...I take a cab when I'm going drinking...or a designated driver.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:33 PM

If you paid for your pub tab and/or the cab ride with credit card or debit, take the receipts to the next traffic court date in your area and speak with the Crown. It can't hurt.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:40 PM

Ya, I was just gunna say the same thing as Brendan, receipts and please ur case, one ticket should be dropped for sure.

TBark
Old 06-16-2018, 11:56 PM
Banned

I wonder what the cost would have been had you driven after drinking?
Two tickets would pale in comparison, to what could have cost you a hell of a lot more, and I don’t mean dollars.

So I would say so what?

You left your vehicle where you did, turned out it was longer than the allotted time and you got what $100 or so in tickets for leaving it there?

Sure go and give your reasoning to the judge as to why you feel you do not deserve the tickets,
But even if you do have to, consider it money well spent for getting yourself home safely, still have a truck, didn’t hurt anyone or damage anything, and plan it a little better next time.

And again thank you for not driving.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:59 AM

Quote:

Bobby
Am or pm ?
Old 06-17-2018, 01:06 AM

I know in Edmonton if the bylaw says no parking for more than two hours at a time, they can and have come by and written tickets every two hours on the same vehicle.

You people saying he should have taken a cab and left his truck at home obviously have reading comprehension problems.

The city might let the ticket go but a private parking company such as impark won't.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
Am or pm ?
It was a.m.
I did pay with a debit card, but who gets a receipt? I'll see if they have a record of it but I am going to pursue it and maybe get one ticket thrown out on Monday.
I'm not looking for sympathy but two tickets within 2.5 hours?

Bobby
Old 06-17-2018, 03:54 AM

I might add that it was on a street in a residential area and not in a parking lot. I was actually parked in front of some houses.

Bobby
Old 06-17-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
It was a.m.
I did pay with a debit card, but who gets a receipt? I'll see if they have a record of it but I am going to pursue it and maybe get one ticket thrown out on Monday.
I'm not looking for sympathy but two tickets within 2.5 hours?

Bobby
Being that it was on a residential street it may not have been bylaw driving the tickets, but possibly the residents watching the clock and calling bylaw as soon as the time was up. Some folks seem to feel like they own the spots in front of their house. When under the public eye it is hard for a bylaw officer to not enforce the letter of the law, even if they personally feel it is heavy-handed.

Good luck getting one thrown out!
Old 06-17-2018, 10:30 AM

How full was parking lot when you arrived at the pub?
How about when you got back to your truck 2.5 hrs later?
I'd bet there were plenty of parking stalls available both times..
Old 06-18-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
How full was parking lot when you arrived at the pub?
How about when you got back to your truck 2.5 hrs later?
I'd bet there were plenty of parking stalls available both times..
I don't park in front of the pub.But on the side street.
Went to city hall today and protested the tickets and filled out some paper on why? I wrote on there that I actually had too much to drink and did not want to drive. I asked about the fine and she told me everything is suspended and I would e getting a letter regarding the out come.
If I pay within 10 days or so its only $10.00 each or $25.00 each after month. Its not the money but the principal. But as of now the paper work is at city hall and they will let me know by mail.

Bobby
Old 06-18-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
"..she told me everything is suspended and I would
be getting a letter regarding the out come.."

Bobby
I think your 98% good & clear on fine getting squashed.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:51 PM

i know you did what you did for the right reasons , and everyone appreciates it . and i understand that one ticket for doing the right thing would be frustrating and two would be insulting ...BUT , if they allow being intoxicated as an excuse for breaking bylaws , they are starting down a slippery slope . like i said earlier chalk it up as expensive parking a . the " principal " of the whole thing is that you showed some common sense and a lot of class . good on you , move on .
Old 06-18-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:

Bobby
I admire you for doing the right thing even though some on here have to dismiss and put the blame on you for parking illegally...Actually pathetic I would say....

If I were you, go to court and I am positive that the Judge would clear your tickets.....

You sir, did the right thing