Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-18-2011, 01:43 PM

Default Boat Protection

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on some type of protection for the bottom of a boat. I have a aluminium crestliner and because of the shape of the boat the keelgaurd that is made by 3m won't work (I phoned them and asked). Just mainly want it for pulling the boat up to shore to keep the scratches to a minimum and maybe retaining some of that paint! Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:13 PM

I have heard of guys getting a keel guard sprayed on from Line X box liners. I heard that they can just tape it all off and do a strip just like the keel guards that you can buy and stick on but the Line X ones are sprayed and hold alot better. Maybe give your local Line X dealer a call and see what they say. I would be interested to hear what it is worth .
Old 04-18-2011, 05:26 PM

If your going to do something like Line X I would suggest Rhino instead. They have a spray on coating that is very flexible which is very nice for marine applications.

I had some work done at Rhino Linings of Calgary great guys excellent service.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:05 PM

Just a thought, but won't the box liner spray stuff be textured and create friction or drag how ever you want to put it... should it not be smooth like the bottom of the boat. Just IMO.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Threat View Post
Just a thought, but won't the box liner spray stuff be textured and create friction or drag how ever you want to put it... should it not be smooth like the bottom of the boat. Just IMO.
I was thinking the same as you. Maybe they can smooth it out some how.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:59 AM

I had a 12 foot alum. boat with the line x on the keel and front portion of the boat it worked and held great, no peeling at all and yes it was smoothed out
Old 04-20-2011, 05:35 PM

Default line-x

Thanks for the suggestion guys. I phoned line-x in edmonton and Red Deer and both said they won't do it because it won't stick properly (in other words they didn't want to warrenty it at all). I phoned Calgary and they said no problem when do you want it done!! So looks like I'm bringing the boat down to Calgary for a few days Thanks again
Old 04-20-2011, 07:18 PM

A smooth shiney bottom boat will actually be slower than a bottom with a little texture. Water will stick to a smooth hull slowing it down, texture will create small air bubbles to break up the water surface and create less drag. A spray on coating may add some weight to you boat.