Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-20-2011, 10:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
yellow color blind and blue color blind? i dont know about this...iv caught them off yellow jigs, yellow spoons, yellow wigglers and some minnows are blue. makes it kinda hard to eat when your prey are invisable lol
Yes FH7, anything yellow or blue becomes completely invisible to them. I paint the hull of my boat blue and wear blue clothing, works great, you should put that one in your book. Heck when the water is realy blue the walleye think their flying so using a lure that looks like a small song bird can be deadly!

Last edited by Cal; 04-20-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:16 AM

Default Colors

I believe there are 3 theories and I think Nate is on to one of the others. One is how they see the colors as far as which come through the best for vision (above). The other is what colors do they react to or prefer best. The last is what colors remain visible through the water column. I have seen charts as well that show how colors disappear at certain water depths. I may have one of them around here as well, which is another reason certain lure colors don't work as well depending how deep you are fishing. If I remember correctly they say red is not a good color to use if you are fishing the depths. The chartreuse, whites etc will be more visible deep fishing. Probably a good reason why we catch lakers at spray at 80-100 ft of water with white jigs and buzz bombs. I'll see if I can find it and post it as well. Some of this color info does work well I have found.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:00 AM

Default Colors at depths

Here is some more color info I have for in the water at depths. Interesting article as well. Explains a little more about why we should watch our colors as fisherman.

http://www.educatedangler.com/index....article&id=921

Old 04-21-2011, 12:49 PM

So it looks like pretty much any color should be visible by the walleyes I fish for. I don't fish any deeper then 30 feet of water for them if at all possible so the only color that should lose its color through that depth would be the red and the rest of them should be good all around.

Thanks for the charts. Gives me a better understanding of what I will need for information when trying to figure out what patterns to go with.