Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-20-2011, 09:15 PM

i like river that dont move the best like the blindman river/ Lower RDR/ Shunda and elk creek. All great places for the spookiest of browns in the gen clear water
Old 04-20-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoplex View Post
So how would you fish this with a Rap CD or OF? Like, where would you cast?

I'm guessing with a fly, you'd want to cast upstream from the boulder, and let it drift down around the boulder (mending along the way) - but I can't figure out what to do here spinning with a crankbait!
Words from western sport fishing by tim and andy chir
if it takes being close to get a good presentation do it. not the exact words but you get the point. these guys know there stuff.
the brown i got was feeding off drowed midges. he was in the seem. he was sitting in the 2nd black line (seam). tried to jerk it. didnt work mabe from the horribleclearity so i driffeted the suspending rainbwo trout lure and he just smacked it.from the angle i drifted it he smacked it the wrong way so when i set the hook he rolled over and i got the fish in about 15 seconds on 2lb test flouro. its about 2 feet of water and about 15 feet from shore.
for flys just dirft it in the seams. or jerk a streamer through the clam stuff
and i would never fish a OF on the bow
Old 04-20-2011, 09:55 PM

Default More questions

No fish, but no lost gear either, so I'm calling this one a draw.
About 3 or 4 hours by the time I got down there and got my hook in the bow. Very pretty sunset, a lot of wildlife (including a pair of beavers!) a couple beers (don't worry, didn't leave the cans on the bank) and a nice big fattie

I got some of those little silver spinners you guys mentioned, and put a split-shot on the line about a foot up from them like you said. But in the fast-flowing bow, the split-shot didn't seem to make much of a difference and I had trouble casting the light little spinners very far.

Question: Could I have added a couple split-shots to the spinner? It was kinda windy and I had trouble getting my lure very far from shore because it was so light.

Question #2: What exactly are jigs and how do they work? Do you put bait on them?

Question #3: After your cast lands, do you start reeling in right away, or can you let out a bit more line and let the current take your lure a bit further downstream? Do you ever just let your lure hang out downstream and spin next to a rock like in your diagram?
Old 04-20-2011, 10:25 PM

[QUOTE=Fishless;914308]No fish, but no lost gear either, so I'm calling this one a draw.
About 3 or 4 hours by the time I got down there and got my hook in the bow. Very pretty sunset, a lot of wildlife (including a pair of beavers!) a couple beers (don't worry, didn't leave the cans on the bank) and a nice big fattie

i really thought about offering you some tackle as you mentioned not having any extra coin for gear. kinda glad i waited. looks like you have a handle on what recreational activities you like to put your extra cash into. glad you pack your garbage out. have fun.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishless View Post

I got some of those little silver spinners you guys mentioned, and put a split-shot on the line about a foot up from them like you said. But in the fast-flowing bow, the split-shot didn't seem to make much of a difference and I had trouble casting the light little spinners very far.

Question: Could I have added a couple split-shots to the spinner? It was kinda windy and I had trouble getting my lure very far from shore because it was so light.

Question #2: What exactly are jigs and how do they work? Do you put bait on them?

Question #3: After your cast lands, do you start reeling in right away, or can you let out a bit more line and let the current take your lure a bit further downstream? Do you ever just let your lure hang out downstream and spin next to a rock like in your diagram?

big gurls need loving too
Old 04-20-2011, 10:50 PM

Going to give some of these tips a try out on Friday. I still don't believe there's any fish in the Bow, but I'll keep on trying anyway!
Old 04-21-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishless View Post

spinners are horrible on the bow use countdowns and spoons.
jigs are a jighead with or without a tail and you may use them with and without bait.
if you do that with a countdown in literaly 2 seconds you will be hung up.
i cast upstream parrel to shore. or behid the fishlies and let it dirft down,
or cast slightly upstream and reel in quickly.
spinners cant get too deep so dont stick with those.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
jigs are a jighead with or without a tail and you may use them with and without bait.
FH7 there may come a day where you realize there is more than one way to fish things. Spinners are very productive on the bow, maybe you just dont know how to use them.........I'm sure you will disagree and deny that because you seem to know almost everything apparently. I have had several days on the bow where fish just wouldnt hit rapalas. Strap on a PM in gold/silver and red or a black fury. pinch a splitshot up a foot to get it down and in that same spot where countdowns wern't working I hammered 3 nice bows. also, I guarantee that it takes you alot more than 2 seconds with a countdown to "hook up" in the bow. and I'd bet you have fished days where it took you all morning to "hook up" in the bow.

I mean this with all respect toward your knowledge because to be honest, You do have alot of it, but you do not know everything. No one on this forum does. Certainly not me. I respect you for what you know and your fishing ability, but the way you talk in some of your post you can come off cocky, ignorant, and disrespectful to the knowledge and the comments of other people. You will become a better fisherman when you learn that even though you disagree with what someone is saying for your own style of fishing, but it may work for them regardless. or maybe there is something to what they do. Clearly these people are not saying spinners, for example, work in the bow if they are like you say :"horrible" in the bow........

that said, if your in town and wanna fish, drop me a line. I am sure there is lots I can learn from fishing with you, with anyone for that matter......
Old 04-21-2011, 08:41 AM

To expand on Braun's comments I will repeat myself from another thread:

FH7:

All you have to do is start your post with Generally what I find works best is and guys won't poke at you so much. Cut and paste it in your post at the beginning. Add a dot in between sentences and you're good to go. Spelling... well I don't think there's any hope there. JK

Anyways good on you bud. Keep at it. Most kids your age are getting into trouble but you have a head start on the important things in life.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:44 AM

Welcome to the forum fishless. I don't live anywhere near Calgary, so I couldn't give you any tips for the imediate Calgary area.

Theres two lakes in Banff National park I could give you tips about. Lake Minnewanka I have fished for 4 may long weekends straight and have found that dragging or bottom bouncing a white tube jig seems to produce well. Try from 11 to 40Fow in late June. Another lake is two jack lake. I have caught lakers or gotten bites from them 90% of the time I was there. I just use a silver flashy spoon or a red and blue brass spoon. I have one particular silver spoon that I will keep quiet for now. Other productive spoons are, kitimat(orange and silver) and candlefish(blue,red and brass) spoons. Just cast out towards the dropoff from the little tree island near the parking lot.

Also, I believe that this forum will be a great opportunity to talk to other anglers across the province and hear how the fishing has been like near your location and around the province. Many people on the forum are willing to help others and give them some great tips. I myself have become much better at catching large ice gators due to the helpful tips on here.
One thing you have to watch out for though is when talking on political threads(mainly in the general disscussion). There have been a couple things where I wasn't careful enough with saying my opinion and I wound up getting "the swarm of angry bees" (aka others strongly disagreeing with me.) As long as I stay away from those political topics and don't try to make my opinions sound like statements then all seems to go well.

BTW enjoy your time on time on here. I think it will be a great experience as long as your careful about what you say on political topics and don't make your opinions sound like statements.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Last edited by Jwood 456; 04-21-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:51 AM

Smile Awesome Pics!

Way to go FH7, How do you do that?

A picture is worth a 1000 words. The way I get a small mepps into that area behind the boulder that is out of the water, is to drop it on the rock and let is "slither down" on the down stream side. If the boulder is under water called by canoe people, a pillow, it is a bit harder, cast up stream and try to get the spinner to just clear the rock, and flutter down in the calm water behind. Be ready, no slack line.

Light line helps a lot!.

One unforgettable opening day, in a canoe with 2 boy scouts, I/we caught and released 33 Rainbows between 22x and policeman's flats.

A canoe can stop in the middle of the river in eddies and that was often the best place to fish.

This is the best trout stream I have fished all across Canada and parts of the US
Old 04-21-2011, 09:11 AM

if i have a newbie or young person on the bow that wants to catch RBT i always tie on a blue fox vibrax spinner for them. Gold blade bright orange bell.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
Hmmmm, countdowns are cranks and you can use them in the winter also(the smiley is for the other post about cranks not working after ice out). But spinners work as well. You can add split shot as suggested or use a heavier spinner. Spinners work well on the bow!

And jigs will catch virtually all species of sportfish under almost all conditions!
Including RBT and Browns on the Bow!

FH7 these should be weapons in your arsenal. If not your missing out.

I realize you are only 16-17 but you will find there is lots to learn.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:50 PM

Welcome to the form - lot's of good advice here.

Couple of important Regulations to remember when fishing that strech of the Bow.

All Trout OVER 35 cm must be released. 35 cm = 13.77 inches. Your fish appears to be a couple inches over the limt and legally should have been released.

No bait allowed anytime of year (but allowed on other sections of the Bow - check you regs)

Other than that - have fun. This time of year your best bet is to go with a dark colored countdown or suspending Rapala (same size as the one in your photo). Once the water warms up, go with a size 6 Panther Martin spinner (silver blade in clear water\sunny day) - brass blade in dirty water\cloudy day.

Keep moving - it's usually the 1'st or 2'nd cast at a new spot that is successfull. Try your 1st cast close to shore - your next cast out further, then your next cast way out. If no hits, move to the next good looking spot.

I often see guys standing on the same rock, casting to exactly the same spot in the river for an hour, wondering why they aren't catching anything.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bow Regs.jpg (14.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 04-21-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireTiger View Post
I often see guys standing on the same rock, casting to exactly the same spot in the river for an hour, wondering why they aren't catching anything.
Should have come over and said hello!
Old 04-21-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braun View Post
FH7 there may come a day where you realize there is more than one way to fish things. Spinners are very productive on the bow, maybe you just dont know how to use them.........I'm sure you will disagree and deny that because you seem to know almost everything apparently. I have had several days on the bow where fish just wouldnt hit rapalas. Strap on a PM in gold/silver and red or a black fury. pinch a splitshot up a foot to get it down and in that same spot where countdowns wern't working I hammered 3 nice bows. also, I guarantee that it takes you alot more than 2 seconds with a countdown to "hook up" in the bow. and I'd bet you have fished days where it took you all morning to "hook up" in the bow.

I mean this with all respect toward your knowledge because to be honest, You do have alot of it, but you do not know everything. No one on this forum does. Certainly not me. I respect you for what you know and your fishing ability, but the way you talk in some of your post you can come off cocky, ignorant, and disrespectful to the knowledge and the comments of other people. You will become a better fisherman when you learn that even though you disagree with what someone is saying for your own style of fishing, but it may work for them regardless. or maybe there is something to what they do. Clearly these people are not saying spinners, for example, work in the bow if they are like you say :"horrible" in the bow........

that said, if your in town and wanna fish, drop me a line. I am sure there is lots I can learn from fishing with you, with anyone for that matter......
i say they work horrble on the bow because where i fish its faster and alot deeper water then downstrean where the spinners domante. i dont fish the downstrean because of the preasure and garbage that no one wants to seem to put into the right place. and i dont like spinners just because i have no reason behind it just dont like em. iv caught stuff on em to rockbass to trout.
and iv only caught about 4 bows now in the bow river i just cant seem to get em just the browns for some reason mabe its because i dont use spinner....yeah i do seem cocky in my comments because i dont word it correctly i type and go thats why some comments leave peoples head hurting.