Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-11-2012, 01:22 AM

Question Where to fish offshore at lac st anne?

I have tags for Lac St Anne, and plan on heading out there tomorrow. Does anyone know a decent spot to fish off shore there? And if the walleye like the same things i've been using in the NSR? I'm also going to try my luck at Muir, on the way, and im thinking maybe some small small panthers martins will do the trick for the bows? Advice pls
Old 06-11-2012, 02:35 PM

the narrows...... But the locals might try and charge you for parking as its on reserve land.

If I'm not up to much on Saturday I could join you to fill the tags so I can tell them where to stick it if they try to charge parking lol
Old 06-11-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
the narrows...... But the locals might try and charge you for parking as its on reserve land.

If I'm not up to much on Saturday I could join you to fill the tags so I can tell them where to stick it if they try to charge parking lol
I grew up on that lake. Always saw people around the narrows bridge and the nearby weed beds.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:08 PM

I used to catch walleyes off the north east side of the rocky island off Alberta Beach.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:

Isn't it only one side that is on reserve? I have fished there before with no problems, but there was about 10 other people around fishing.

The funniest thing I ever saw was there. A person on each side of the narrows fishing witrh minnows on a pick rig. A loon came and grabed one of the minnows and got tangled around both lines. Well for 5 mins before the two people realized it they were fighting the bigest fish they every had. You had to be there as it was so funny we could only split a gut watching this. They both thought they had a 20 pounder or bigger before they realized they had each other and a loon.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:20 PM

I tried by the bridge but i kept getting snagged up in sludgy weeds rather than fish, no matter what I threw in there, so I guess the tags will have to wait. Between me and the gf we have 6 tags. We hit up east pit on the way home though and got some decent trout action. Any help with the tags would definately be appreciated big bore so keep me posted if you can get out on sat.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:39 PM

Theres not alot of shore fishin on that lake as its so shallow. Don't fish of the boat launch in town. Only 2' deep. If you have access to a float tube I can put you on walleye not too far out
Old 06-11-2012, 10:24 PM

Default Monday AM report

Was at the narrows this morning. Got one on my hook but it got away before landing it. The locals were really friendly - there was a group walking from Alaska to Guatemala passing though and they held a ceremony at the river. The local school kids were out on the bridge pointing out where all the fish were.

I used a red jig with a black rubbery body, with no bait. That is the one that got the hit. I tried various other setups with no luck with and without minnow bait.

Suggestions for setup's known to work in this area?
Old 06-11-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm1 View Post

4" white single tail jig. Any color head
Old 06-11-2012, 10:53 PM

Horse has been having many 50+ fish days on that lake......i think today he went over 50. He aint throwing jigs anymore. Fish are biting hard lately
Old 06-11-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Was at the narrows this morning. Got one on my hook but it got away before landing it. The locals were really friendly - there was a group walking from Alaska to Guatemala passing though and they held a ceremony at the river. The local school kids were out on the bridge pointing out where all the fish were.

I used a red jig with a black rubbery body, with no bait. That is the one that got the hit. I tried various other setups with no luck with and without minnow bait.

When I used to fish there I would use a slip sinker rig about a foot or so off the bottom and a 1/32 to 1/16 oz jig head tipped with a live leech, and some split shot about 3 feet higher than the jighead.

Also, Flasher jigs tipped with Blaze Orange Berkley Gulp curl tail minnows
Old 06-11-2012, 11:00 PM

Ive never been skuned at the narrows all you need is a slip bobber and minnows set at like 6 and a half feet!
Old 06-11-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
4" white single tail jig. Any color head
Do you use bait as well?
Old 06-11-2012, 11:25 PM

Default Forgive the newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigsy View Post
Ive never been skuned at the narrows all you need is a slip bobber and minnows set at like 6 and a half feet!
New to all of this, so please forgive the questions... Does this setup look right to you? (image from http://www.wannabefisherman.com/fish.../slip-bobbers/)

What type of hook would you use with this setup? Just a bare standard J hook, or a Treble? Could jig and one of the slips be used?

Keeping minnows on hooks is driving me banana's. Are there other baits (perhaps artificial) which may work as well?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg slib-bobber-rig-300x295.jpg (9.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 06-11-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Do you use bait as well?
I don't use bait in that lake. But I'm in a boat so its a bit easier.

Hey Chubb, hes using them special sucker hooks ain't he? You coming up here this summer so we can get into some suckers?
Old 06-11-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
New to all of this, so please forgive the questions... Does this setup look right to you? (image from http://www.wannabefisherman.com/fish.../slip-bobbers/)

What type of hook would you use with this setup? Just a bare standard J hook, or a Treble? Could jig and one of the slips be used?

Keeping minnows on hooks is driving me banana's. Are there other baits (perhaps artificial) which may work as well?
Ya thats basically it but i use three split shot one 6-12 inches below the bobber one halfway then one about 16 inches up from the hook! I then use a size 3 or 4 gamakatsu octopus hook and hook the minnow in the upper portion of the back halfway o the minnow then twist it back and pierce just behind the head! Usually it stays on fairly well but if you find your loosing alot take a small piece of jig tail and slide it on the hook to keep the minnow in place! Hope this helps and i hope my spelling and lack of punctuation isnt to hard to decifer
Old 06-11-2012, 11:34 PM

Damn I had slip bobbers and leeches too, but didn't think to try that. *bangs head* lol. And I did try white single tails to no avail . Also the natives were friendly down there! As long as I kept to my side of the bridge lol
Old 06-11-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:

That would be the slip bobber setup for sure.

You can use any hook you want but make sure the bobber can float with the weight. Chuck out a jig with tail and minnow. If its not working switch it up. Keep switching till you find whats working that day.

Good luck
Old 06-11-2012, 11:52 PM

P.S. I got outgunned at eastpit by rednecks with corn :'( catching trout after trout. Twas a sad day...
Old 06-12-2012, 05:32 AM

Quote:
When I used to fish there I would use a slip sinker rig about a foot or so off the bottom and a 1/32 to 1/16 oz jig head tipped with a live leech, and some split shot about 3 feet higher than the jighead.

Also, Flasher jigs tipped with Blaze Orange Berkley Gulp curl tail minnows
X2

Leech about a foot off the bottom. Any bobber will work. Set the hook about 4 to 5 feet below the bobber. Can use gulp alive leeches too but live works best there. I prefer pink jig heads most times. Color may very on dif days tho.

Alberta beach side of the bridge is where I have found it best. Allmost under the bridge.