Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-18-2020, 10:00 AM
AO Sponsor

Default More Troubles... Hopefully Short Term

Coronavirus hits a mink farm in Denmark, all mink were euthanized and probly very lucky rancher paid... meaning he likely got compensated far more than current value. Not good for the fur industry in general, anything negative in the ranch industry is sure to touch our wild goods.

Beijing Customs has currently stopped importation of raw fur as it is very recently /currently experiencing a new Covid outbreak, not limited to fur but to a broad range of animal products including many food products, however, not including leather nor tanned fur products.

Current sales results in EU have been dismal, likely centred around results of grotesque over-production of mink, and limited travel bans and uncertainties even where possible, mink clearance like 4%, so basically horrible!

I personally hope that FHA will push back their sale a hair, at least past the Trudeau parliament sitting ban that our prime minister has implemented. I suspect Trudeau will keep the border closed as long as he possibly can in attempt to validate his parliamentary sitting closure and continue his shutdown and dictatorial powers as long as possible... hopefully not permanently. I could stand being governed by a dictator, but not a dictator that is also a fool. Also, it is said that the Italians will not give up summer holidays for anything??? Only those talking directly to them are going to know and surely FHA is communicating with them.

I really hope the fall sale will be more than simply brokers. Brokers are given limits and do not exceed those limits given to them by their customers. We need to see some good ole auction fever hit the bidding room in order to realize the full benefit of auction... I hope it happens!

Am hearing that everything except coyotes is virtually dead action at the moment, even marten no interest. Am told there will be 40,000 coyotes at the Aug/fall sale, also told that 70% ish of the coyotes previously on hand sold via private treaty.

There is a silver lining potentially... by rights wild fur should fly a few years from now as it is becoming far too expensive in the western world to raise mink and fox to realize a profit, and be the ranch industry’s undoing. Hopefully the wild fur will flourish...

That is barring the power grab by the new world order people and implantation of new financial system, dictatorial powers, etc. We seem to be very nice sheoples, falling into line ever so willingly.... but that’s a whole nuther topic!!!