Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2011, 02:26 PM
Gone Hunting

I agree, but that is a lesson for another day in different circumstances.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-21-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
No question but I bet in his mind he figures he did it and looks upon it as a victory...something to try and do again.
Do you know this for sure ? Do you know him personally? Alchohol makes people do stupid things. We have all been there. But to say this guy deserved it and says he looks at it as a victory is just plain ridiculous. The video shows it was nothing but an uncalled for vicsous beating by a bully. As said before the cop cost himself his job.

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 01-21-2011, 02:36 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
Do you know this for sure ? Do you know him personally? Alchohol makes people do stupid things. We have all been there. But to say this guy deserved it and says he looks at it as a victory is just plain ridiculous. The video shows it was nothing but an uncalled for vicsous beating by a bully. As said before the cop cost himself his job.

Andy
Where on earth did I say he deserved it?????? I said he likely didn't learn not to do it again from the results his actions got. He was obviously looking for a reaction from the cops and he got it....it's a victory for him.

As for the speculation as to his though process, sorry too many psycholgy classes but I'd bet I'm right. My point was that this beating very likely didn't teach him not to do it again as several on here have speculated. Absolutely the cop cost himself his own job but I'm guessing the fellow that took the beating it taking credit for it....Anyone that thinks beating someone up that's looking for a fight will teach trhem something is sadly mistaken. Especially when the outcome is at it was here.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:47 PM

I went to school and played junior hockey with this guy a long time ago. He was a meathead then and I see nothing has changed. This isn't the first time he's been in trouble for violence.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:48 PM

Sorry if I mis-interpeted what you were saying. What I was trying to say though is that the achohol makes people doe stupid things, I was a bouncer for a few years when I was i was younger and if would of hit every person that called me names or or called me out I'd be in court for the rest of my life. What I'm trying to say is being called names or being called out comes with the job, you can't take it personally it comes with the job.

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 01-21-2011, 02:50 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
I went to school and played junior hockey with this guy a long time ago. He was a meathead then and I see nothing has changed. This isn't the first time he's been in trouble for violence.
Which guy?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-21-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
I felt the same way about the man when I knew him in Whitecourt, no "official" police dealings, played some hockey together.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:54 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
Sorry if I mis-interpeted what you were saying. What I was trying to say though is that the achohol makes people doe stupid things, I was a bouncer for a few years when I was i was younger and if would of hit every person that called me names or or called me out I'd be in court for the rest of my life. What I'm trying to say is being called names or being called out comes with the job, you can't take it personally it comes with the job.

Andy
I was basically saying the same thing. All those guys that were calling you names were looking for a reaction. When you didn't give it to them they didn't get the victory they were looking for. Had you beaten them up, it's not likely it would have taught them anything and they'd have gotten exactly what they were looking for. By ignoring them, you disarmed them. At least that's what my teacher said....lol I'm not big on alcohol as an excuse though.......

I doubt this guy was a saint and he quite likely deserved to be in jail but heb didn't deserve the abuse and I seriously doubt it taught him much other than this is a good way to get off and put some money in your pocket. I bet I can guess what will happen next time......
Old 01-21-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Which guy?
I guess I should've mentioned it was the cop.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:44 PM

Default RCMP poorly trained and poorly lead

Unfortunately it's time to disband this once iconic police force before we end up like Mexico or Argentina.

Good government is the cornerstone of a successful democracy.
English common law is what seperates progressive countries like Canada, US, Australia and New Zealand from the repressive countries such as Mexico, Argentina, Brazil or Columbia, etc.
The enforcement of those laws by an honest, well trained and well lead police force is critical.
The RCMP has repeatedly demonstrated that they can no longer be entrusted with the priviledge of enforcing the laws of this still great country (but sliding fast).
The fact that several other officiers stood by and watched this BS unfold speaks as loudly of the deep rooted problems the RCMP is in as the actions of the meathead throwing the punches.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:57 PM
Nationwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
Thats absolutely the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Standing up for people in authority positions - abusing the powers we give them?

Police officers should be held to a higher standard.

Thats like saying its okay for a Fish Cop to poach as long as he doesn't get caught.
Dont take it to hart sneeze consider the sourse of the comment truely sad .

With that said What happen is truely sad but just remember not all RCMP are bad.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:12 PM

I sort of look at this as a win/win situation. A guy who probably needed to get tuned, got tuned. Also,a guy who probably shouldn't be a cop, won't be a cop after this.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
I sort of look at this as a win/win situation. A guy who probably needed to get tuned, got tuned. Also,a guy who probably shouldn't be a cop, won't be a cop after this.
Great post NHO, that pretty well sums it all up.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
Great post NHO, that pretty well sums it all up.
Never thought of it like that. I could go with that reasoning....
Old 01-21-2011, 07:53 PM

And the tuned fellow will happily ride off into the sunset with your tax money in his pocket, still feel win-win?
Old 01-21-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
And the tuned fellow will happily ride off into the sunset with your tax money in his pocket, still feel win-win?
I see tax dollars ride off into the sunset everyday in many different ways. Am I going to notice this at the end of the fiscal year? Nope.

When a guy catches a beating like that though,it usually changes them. It's a fear that will be seared into his brain. Self-preservation will likely dictate that he not risk another beating like that again and his attitude is probably permanently adjusted whether he gets a Payday or not. Did you ever see a bully get beat up(and I mean beat up good) and continue to bully others afterwards? I haven't.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Lots of people get our tax money... I'm getting used to being robbed.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
I see tax dollars ride off into the sunset everyday in many different ways. Am I going to notice this at the end of the fiscal year? Nope.

When a guy catches a beating like that though,it usually changes them. It's a fear that will be seared into his brain. Self-preservation will likely dictate that he not risk another beating like that again and his attitude is probably permanently adjusted whether he gets a Payday or not. Did you ever see a bully get beat up(and I mean beat up good) and continue to bully others afterwards? I haven't.
Pffft! What was he taught? A little beat down = big money!!! Some lesson...
Old 01-21-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Pffft! What was he taught? A little beat down = big money!!! Some lesson...
Okay.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuc View Post
(if it was a case of disrespect)

Thats what some of those mouthy punks need. I bet he'll think twice before he hurls another insult at an RCMP officer.

Too bad the officer got caught on video.
unbelieveable......
Old 01-21-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:

Thats what some of those mouthy punks need. I bet he'll think twice before he hurls another insult at an RCMP officer.

Sad
Old 01-21-2011, 10:13 PM

"Back in the day." if you shot your mouth off to the police you considered yourself lucky to walk away with nothing more than a slap across the face. If the cops brought you home and had a talk with your parents you were lucky to get away with a back hand and a grounding.

These were the days that a lot of people refer back to. When police officers were respected and they in turn respected the people. Justice was sometimes issued at the street level and so long as it was fair there was the unwritten rule of exceptance. Why? Maybe because back then people were more responsible for their actions and more responsible to the community?

While I don't condone beatings and uncalled for physical force. If you act like a jacka** expect to be treated like one.

If we as a society want to limit the police more and more that is fine. We just can't go blaming them for the crack house that pops up next door and can't be shut down. Or not immediately recovering the stolen quad that you can clearly see going onto the dirtbag neighbours property and into their quonset.

The press really likes to jump on the mistakes and bad apples because of the shock and awe story it brings. In Calgary the police respond to over 500,000 calls a year I have no idea what the rest of the country does, but if you figure there is what 30million people in the country and Calgary is a million. Then one could guesstimate 15,000,000 calls for service nation wide? That means there are millions upon millions of interactions where there are no substantial issues and the police perform their duties. We never hear of the exceptional jobs that get done, the selflessness that is sometimes required, the long bring hours of surveillence to dig up the last bit of info needed to get a search warrant signed etc. Why? Because it's boring and doesn't sell papers.

I believe in the accountability of the police, they need to be held accountable for wrong doings and mistakes. I also believe in the accountability of my community and the people in it. They also should be held accountable and held responsible for their actions as well.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:18 PM
Banned

Default good idea

Quote:

I can't wait for this law to pass. Anyone mouths off in this country deserves the smack down. Drives me crazy not being able to legally beat the life out of some clown that gives me the finger on the Yellowhead. sarc/off

The MOST disturbing thing....the "cops" that stood there and allowed this to go on. They should be fired as well.

If you're skin is sooo thin that you react like this to the slightest of provocation you should definitely not be interacting with the public....let alone be a cop. Hope the victim gets a huge settlement, and I would like to see it come from the cops personal coffers (I know it won't happen). And yes I'm sure he's a huge douche, still no justification for getting a beating laid on him by a "cop".
Old 01-22-2011, 12:07 AM

If we as a society want to limit the police more and more that is fine. We just can't go blaming them for the crack house that pops up next door and can't be shut down. Or not immediately recovering the stolen quad that you can clearly see going onto the dirtbag neighbours property and into their quonset.

Umm I don't get where you are getting that the police are being limited more and more?? It's acually the other way and our civil rights are being limited more and more, but I guess that's alright as long as the police are meting out their own brand of justice.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:33 AM

I was refering more to general attitudes that I neither disagree or agree with as I see both sides. There are a lot of people requesting that the police be limited in what they can and can`t do.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
I can't wait for this law to pass. Anyone mouths off in this country deserves the smack down. Drives me crazy not being able to legally beat the life out of some clown that gives me the finger on the Yellowhead. sarc/off

The MOST disturbing thing....the "cops" that stood there and allowed this to go on. They should be fired as well.

If you're skin is sooo thin that you react like this to the slightest of provocation you should definitely not be interacting with the public....let alone be a cop. Hope the victim gets a huge settlement, and I would like to see it come from the cops personal coffers (I know it won't happen). And yes I'm sure he's a huge douche, still no justification for getting a beating laid on him by a "cop".
The cop that stood there open mouthed was in his 3rd day as a cop. The cop doing the beating was his trainer. I would go to hard on the noob.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I wonder why we have a rash of these incidents now. For years and years the RCMP were the epitome of honorable law enforcement. Now suddenly they run off the rails??? Very disturbing,

Unless this kind of thing has been going on all along and now due to all the cameras at large these incidents are seeing the light of day. No tell me that isn't the case. Please.
I think this kind of thing has been happening longer than anybody knows. The death of Darrin Varley in a Pincher Creek holding cell is one of the reasons there now id video at jails sites.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
The cop that stood there open mouthed was in his 3rd day as a cop. The cop doing the beating was his trainer. I would go to hard on the noob.
I agree with you totally, but you can bet that alot of the members wouldn't have stepped in anyways, and it's not because they haven't the morales. They are really hogtied by the system in place government wide, you simply can't stand up and say the emperor has no clothes.
The information that our Sheila Fraser brought out about the office of wrongdoing and the "sudden" retirement of their head should have opened alot of eyes. Of the 172 complaints filed from within, her department had found that there were absolutely no cases of wrongdoing!! Where would you figure these guys could go? Their own trainers seem to support the methods.
The only times you hear of a reprimand concerning something like this is when someone is lucky enough to catch it on tape and have the photographic evidence.

Very sad state of affairs. Fraser was the only one who seems to have the equipment to stand up to this stuff, perhaps she needs to become the next head of the RCMP, or the next PM!
Old 01-22-2011, 10:10 AM

I think a civilian reveiw board over the top of it all would be benificial to both sides. Civilians would feel a little safer and the observer cops would hopefully garner a little support.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I think a civilian reveiw board over the top of it all would be benificial to both sides. Civilians would feel a little safer and the observer cops would hopefully garner a little support.
Yes, but who appoints the civilian board, and who determines their terms of reference?