Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-09-2009, 10:17 AM
Banned

Default Using "Gulp" on live bait rigs.

Last weekend I slayed the walleye by casting slip sinker rigs and drifting spinner rigs down river, baited with those bright yellow minnow-jig Gulp things. I found they worked at least as well as the real thing, I especily appreciated that if I missed a strike I did not need to worry if my bait had been stolen and that in not having to re-bait my hook I could get it back in the water faster when the bite was hot. Fishing was good all weekend. Sunday night I caught 11 walleye in 2 hours, nearly all of them were well above the 50 cm size limit and I kept one of the smaller ones who unfortunatly swallowed my hook.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:46 AM

I've had alot of success with gulp as well. Like you say, stays on the hook so there is less down time rebaiting
Old 06-09-2009, 06:55 PM

I bought some of the glup leeches and i have caught a few but no real good success. But it had been real slow days fishing. Do you think the minnows are a lot better i think there is a couple different colors any one know which works better?
Old 06-09-2009, 07:28 PM

Went out last year to pigeon lake for Walleye
My partner had the large tub of gulp leeches and I had I had real minnos .

He was catching 1 walleye to 20 of mine caught on minnos .
He ended up using my minos.

Why go fake when you can use real !
Old 06-09-2009, 08:59 PM

Thumbs up Real Food !

You cannot fool a fish that has been around a few thousand years. It real or nothing at all. Most seasoned fisherman know this.
If I were hungry, I would not touch fake food.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Banned

all I know is last weekend, in moderately murkey water, behind a spinner, bright yellow gulp minnows were working as well or better than live bait with half the hastle. I have not used them under other conditions so I can not say, quite possibly you are correct. But I'm gonna do some more fishing before I determine for myself. I picked up a pack of some gulp leaches, when the water clears up I'll give them a try. Could be that day you were out on pidgion the walleye were hitting minnows not leaches. Could be the days I used gulp the bite was hot and I could have used an old sock and done well.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Banned

Default Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul C View Post
You cannot fool a fish that has been around a few thousand years. It real or nothing at all. Most seasoned fisherman know this.
If I were hungry, I would not touch fake food.
Is that why most seasoned fisherman have been catching fish for years on spoons and crankbaits, fake seems to work just fine.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:21 PM

I find the gulp works well when needing to finesse your fishing . you know when all that matters is presentation. I also like to use the leech on a spool have had lots of luck with that.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:27 AM

I haven't experimented with the "gulp" baits a lot but I do know several very experienced tournament fishermen who use nothing but "Gulp". Take it for what its worth.

Like anything, it has a time and place.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
all I know is last weekend, in moderately murkey water, behind a spinner, bright yellow gulp minnows were working as well or better than live bait with half the hastle. I have not used them under other conditions so I can not say, quite possibly you are correct. But I'm gonna do some more fishing before I determine for myself. I picked up a pack of some gulp leaches, when the water clears up I'll give them a try. Could be that day you were out on pidgion the walleye were hitting minnows not leaches. Could be the days I used gulp the bite was hot and I could have used an old sock and done well.
I highlighted what I think is the key to your success.

I've had pretty good luck with the Gulp Alive as well - when using it in combination with spinners on a bottom bouncer rig.

IMHO, the Gulp stuff works great anytime you're simply trying to enhance a presentation that's already effective on it's own and capable of getting a "reaction bite", like spinners. I find it to be pretty hard to beat when bottom bouncing, especially given how convenient and tough it is compared to the real thing.

I've had OK luck with it for tipping jigs, but in my experience, the real thing always outfished it. When the bite is hot and heavy with lots of smaller fish, there isn't much difference, and the convenience of the Gulp actually keeps things really close by just giving you more time in the water and less time fiddling with bait. When the bite is slower though, real bait always shines through.

The only thing I've found where the Gulp really doesn't work all that well is presentations that rely on the movement of the bait - lindy rigging, slip bobbers, slow dragging jigs, etc... There's simply no replacing a lively jumbo leech when it comes to those techniques.

Waxy