Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-09-2009, 04:49 PM

Question Pike vs Trout

I plan to get out this weekend and spend Sunday morning fishing, but I have not desided on where to go. I am thinking Cardiff Pond for rainbows and perch or mink lake for pike and perch. I have never been to ether and would love to heart wich one offers better fishing. Please consider I am a shore angler.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:52 PM

I have fished Cardiff many many times. I haven't pulled anything out of their worth keeping in over two years. Just like any other fishing it's very hit and miss. As for mink lake I have not fished it, but I did fish Jackfish Lake which is 5 km down the road with great success. I was in a boat so I don't know how the shore fishing is at Jackfish. When I was there the people fishing from the shore mentioned they caught one walleye. They charge $10 to park at Jackfish. If you want to do some trout fishing and are willing to drive out to Jackfish why not go a little bit farther and go to East Pit Lake? It's walk in only so it's made for shore fisherman and I have yet to go there, but I have heard nothing but good thing's about it. The directions are as follows: Take highway 16 and take the turn off to Wabamun. Once on top of the overpass, at the intersection turn north (right) and look for the gate on your left hand side.

Can any one confirm or clarify these directions?

I am planning on going there this Saturday, and if it's not producing, go to Muir Lake on my way back to Edmonton.

Good luck and tight lines!
Old 06-09-2009, 06:14 PM

Thanks for the info, but I have fished East pitt before and I am looking for something new. Thanks for the suggestion though
Old 06-09-2009, 08:54 PM

I have not fished Mink in quite a while now but in the past I did not have the best luck there. I was in a boat but I believe there should be opportunity for shore fisherman. I think they charge to park now as well.