Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-10-2009, 08:18 AM

Default Spillway Lake Information in Kananaskis

Goodmorning,can anyone tell me hows the fishing is like at Spillway Lake? I was planning on using my pontoon boat and try this lake,also my grandson loves flyfishing for Brookies any places around the same area to try? Been to Lorriette ponds but with no luck. Thanks for any information you might have I am going up to Mount Kidd in the first week of July
Old 06-10-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodycanfish View Post
Goodmorning,can anyone tell me hows the fishing is like at Spillway Lake? I was planning on using my pontoon boat and try this lake,also my grandson loves flyfishing for Brookies any places around the same area to try? Been to Lorriette ponds but with no luck. Thanks for any information you might have I am going up to Mount Kidd in the first week of July
Hi Jody,

I've spent a lot of time in K-country and I can't recall a spillway lake. Would there be any other names for this lake?

Lorrette ponds are usually fished out a few weeks after it's stocked. Other than some of the higher altitude hike-in lakes I've always found the lower ponds and lakes to be tough fishing. (Barrier, upper and lower Kananaskis lakes) I have caught fish there, but it takes time and a bit of luck I spose.

If you're staying at Mt. Kidd, I think they stock Wedge Pond, you can try there. Also, if you're using your pontoon boat, I've had success on Barrier where the river flows in at the south. Careful with the winds though.

Last edited by Albertadiver; 06-10-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:54 AM

If it's brookies you want, to the best of my knowledge the best lake in the area is Elbow Lake. It's near the Highwood Summit and requires a short, steep hike of about 1 to 1.5 kms.... it's been a while since I've been up there, so I can't remember the trail in detail. It might not be the best place to take your pontoon boat because of the hike, but it would be a good place where you could catch some brookies from shore.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:02 AM

I've never heard of "Spillway Lake" either. Do you mean Barrier Lake, the first body of water south of Highway 1 on HW 40?
Old 06-10-2009, 09:06 AM

Spillway Lake is the north east side of lower kananaskis,you drive by it when you take the smith Dorrien turn off as you are going to the lower lakes
Old 06-10-2009, 09:10 AM

As you go to upper and lower k lakes you turn right at the Smith Dorrien then left.When you drive about 5 min. look to your left and you will be driving right beside it. It looks shallow and you can see the noth end of lower k lake
Old 06-10-2009, 09:12 AM

I know if you turn off hwy 40, you follow the Peter Lougheed road down past Pocaterra, then you can either head straight west on the gravel spray lakes road or head south on pavement.

I recall some shallows and such at the north tip of the Lower lake. Or is it that slough on the east side of the road near the visitors centre?
Old 06-10-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodycanfish View Post
As you go to upper and lower k lakes you turn right at the Smith Dorrien then left.When you drive about 5 min. look to your left and you will be driving right beside it. It looks shallow and you can see the noth end of lower k lake
Ahh ok. Now I know where you're talking.

Saw a Grizzly right there 2yrs ago. Never tried fishing it. I'll look in the regs when I get home.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:19 AM

You will be taking the turn off to go to Spray Lakes and yes it is on the north tip of lower k lakes