Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-03-2010, 10:16 AM

Default Transom savers

I've never used a transom saver on my trailered tinnies, but I bought a 14 footer with a 20 inch transom and long legged Merc last year. The clearance is only about 10 inches and I bottomed out a couple of times already. Do most of you guys pull your boat with the motor down or tilted up? If you do what kind of transom saver do you use? Looking on-line it looks to me like the Swivl Eze Pro is the way to go. Any thought? Thanks.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:55 AM

motor down on your transom saver for sure. I have had bad luck last year as mine fell off twice with a bunjee cord on them. one of the times was that horrible saskatchewan road to that lac desisle tournement when i finally realized and half my skeg gone i put the motor lock on with motor up and it broke and back down on the road she went.transom savers are the only way to go as the most motor locks have failed for me.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:53 PM

From what i remember we always used a block of either 1X2 or 2X4 jammed between the leg and boat to hold the motor up. It was tied in place using peice of rope around the board and motor so it didn't drop out going over the bumps.
Maybe we were a bit harder on our gear than some people...