Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-02-2014, 08:30 AM

Default Pik Rig 101

Ok guys, I've been fishing since....for a long time. I have used pickerel rigs on many occasions. I have had few problems with them other than the included hooks can be garbage and presentation once in the water is not always ideal.
I have NOT noticed any increased mortality rates while using them other than trout, depending on hook size and style.
What I am hoping to gain from this thread is an understanding of the issues some people have with them, a clear explanation would be preferable. I don't really need to know "they suck and only idiots use them".
The other thing I'm REALLY hoping to learn, how some of you fellas build your own that are better, tougher, nicer presentation. If you are able to put this into an image that would be great. Sometimes, a picture is worth a thousand words.
Just really hoping for an education for more than just myself.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:01 AM

The issue most people have with them is that if you break off there is a reasonable chance that the fish will get snagged on something and die.

I don't have an issue with pickerel rigs but if your are going to use them set them up properly. Don't just use them straight out of the package... You need better hooks and your line from rig to hook should be the weakest on the rig, preferably weak enough that a fish can break off if they are hooked onto a snagged rig, something like 6 to maybe 8 lb line. You should make your line to your weight lighter then the main line too so you can break it off and recover the rig if your weight gets stuck, if your main line is 20 lbs use 10 lbs for weight. If you do these things then pickerel rigs really aren't all that bad, it is when you use them as sold that you will leave rigs all over the place since most people fish with lighter strength main line then what the cheap pickerel rigs are made of...

One note when it comes to pickerel rigs. DO NOT USE THEM FOR STURGEON... They are not strong enough, use a sturgeon sliding rig...

Since you asked for other options a sliding rig is always an option too. Here is a picture.Same as above you should always design a bait rig so that if it breaks you only leave the hook in the fishes mouth, preferably with as little leader as possible. For sturgeon I use sturgeon leader instead of mono.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:11 PM

More often than not these days im snagging on dang p-rigs, and if it dont break me off and i get it to shore i find about 20% of the time theres a dead fish hooked on it.
Not only that but it seems (in general) that the folk who use them dont mind leaving them all over the place along some of the hot spots on the NSR and even some ponds around here. Animals can get caught up in them. Hate the damn things.
A guy can use a really efficient sliding sinker setup. Rarely lose one and it works even better (often) than a p-rig.
Before i get slagged by someone. Notice the brackets around certain words indicating "in general" and not anyone or everyone in particular.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:59 PM

With the sliding rig, how long is the line that you tie your hook on with? I'll give it a whirl this weekend.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutter View Post
With the sliding rig, how long is the line that you tie your hook on with? I'll give it a whirl this weekend.
You can vary it to see what difference it makes. Mine are usually around 16-20 inches.

You can add a float just before the hook to keep your bait higher off the bottom too.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:36 AM

Interesting. I'll be out on the SSR tomorrow evening, I'm going to give it a try. Thanks!
Old 10-06-2014, 03:18 PM

Thx for the 411 on Pik Rigs, gunna try and build me one this weekend, Good post.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:32 AM

Thanks RavYak, and I do see what you're saying about creating a weak link both for the fish and rig recovery. I always put a weaker line from the weight to the rig but must admit that's the only weak link I usually worry about. In the past, if I do change hooks/leaders, it was to be MORE robust. I am going to try building my own, see how it works out.
If anybody else has any more suggestions, I would like to hear them. Always looking for sound advice.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:38 PM

P-rigs aren't so much the issue as is the majority of people I've come across who use them. 30# rated p-rig tied onto 6# test with the weight clipped instead of tied on. mainline being the weakest link the whole unit breaks off and clutters up the bottom. In flowing water the rig will still 'work' collecting more snag material and the occasional fish that hasn't learned to steal bait. Just a lack of sense really quickly accompanied by poor etiquette and often rude behaviour when you try to offer them advise to be more successful conscientious anglers.

I use a slip sinker rig similar to the one picture above. I prefer to use pencil lead with the eye or 0.5-1 oz bells, but I tend to fish slower pools and do not need the weight to stay on bottom, I also don't use as many beads. occasionally I'll add a corky for bait flotation, and if I'm ambitious ill put a 3 way swivel between my mainline and weight stop swivel to mimic the 2 layer p-rig approach. usually do the extra tieing when it's slow, which it usually never is for me.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro