Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2019, 01:22 PM

Default Garden shed help...

I'm Looking to buy a fair size pre built garden shed this spring prob 10x16 or 12x16 can any of you give me some recommendations or good places to pick one up??? In the Edmonton area.. I’ve heard the hutterites by westlock make some decent sheds... any input would be appreciated .. thanks
Old 03-28-2019, 02:17 PM

Default Garden shed

I would 2nd the Hutterite's ... either the Morinville colony or I do believe Pibroch is selling them now too... can't beat the quality and price IMO
Old 03-28-2019, 02:26 PM

Just a suggestion, but if you have a place to put it you have a place to build it......

No time or no interest in building?

Soooo much cheaper, nobody in your yard, you do it exactly the way you want, and QC is 100% in your hands.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-28-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Just a suggestion, but if you have a place to put it you have a place to build it......

No time or no interest in building?

Soooo much cheaper, nobody in your yard, you do it exactly the way you want, and QC is 100% in your hands.
Some people like to build things themselves, some don’t have the tools or skills to do so. Others have the skills but would rather be fishing or doing leisure activites. For myself, building things IS a leisure activity. Sometimes it’s best to leave construction to others if it’s not your thing though.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:41 PM

I’ve been deciding if I should just do it myself or not .. I have a few friends that have construction company’s but they are far to busy.. I’ll price out prebuilt and then just materials and see how much of a difference it is ..I would have to incorporate a flat of beer and a few steaks if I can swindle a few buddies to help out ..lol
Old 03-28-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Some people like to build things themselves, some don’t have the tools or skills to do so. Others have the skills but would rather be fishing or doing leisure activites. For myself, building things IS a leisure activity. Sometimes it’s best to leave construction to others if it’s not your thing though.
Sounds good. I would like a 8X12 greenhouse built. I will give you my addy and you can come on over and help yourself to my gift of leisure time. You can use your own imagination with design and work as late as you want. I will even supply the materials! You will NOT find a better deal on leisure time but you have to act fast to get in on this great deal.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:47 PM

If Hutterites do it that size they will need a pilot truck & I think a wide load permit, buddy got one they are nice his was 10X20 few years ago it was around $6,800.00, they drop it where you need it. He dealt with the Holden colony
Old 03-28-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bowhunter12 View Post
I’ve been deciding if I should just do it myself or not .. I have a few friends that have construction company’s but they are far to busy.. I’ll price out prebuilt and then just materials and see how much of a difference it is ..I would have to incorporate a flat of beer and a few steaks if I can swindle a few buddies to help out ..lol
treated pallets makes good flooring base , most can be had for free
Old 03-28-2019, 03:10 PM

I built 10x16 last year with 8 foot walls (usually 6 foot walls in the hardware store packages). Used ply wood and painted instead of osb walls like the packages that you have to use siding. Saved around 700 bucks all said and done still and i used 4 20' pressure treated skids on the bottom too so i can move it around if i want. Helps that my brother in law is a framer though.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:00 PM

Are you rural or urban?
Check your bylaws.

Down here the max size of a shed is 10m^2 (right around 108 ft^2)

Be a shame to build a nice shed and then have some nosy neighbour call you in.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:54 PM

Thanks for the replies .. yah I’ll have to look into a few things alright .. 8’ walls would definitely be nice so maybe I will end up building it myself ..I live at the lake and it’s not a huge lot but my neighbors have big sheds but I will double check for sure ..
Old 03-28-2019, 05:06 PM

We put up one of those Costco "Lifetime' plastic sheds - 8 x 15, on a pressure-treated & plywood frame. I built it myself, with some help holding pieces up during assembly, over a weekend. It looks great and survived the winter well. Costco delivers to your door, and the local hardware delivered the lumber to my door as well. Pretty painless.

Last edited by thumper; 03-28-2019 at 05:07 PM. Reason: added brand
Old 03-28-2019, 05:25 PM

Talking

And go 12x16.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-28-2019, 06:30 PM

Classic Barns out of Spruceview. Top quality and honest to deal with. Im pretty sure they have the trailers to deliver as well.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:48 PM

Another AO member sent me a pm .. hopefully we can work something out and he can build one for me .. problem solved ..thanks !!
Old 03-28-2019, 07:57 PM

Check your city bylaws. You wouldn’t want to have to tear it down. You can find the info online. In Edmonton if IIRC anything over 100 square feet requires a permit. There are height restrictions as well.

BW
Old 03-28-2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
If Hutterites do it that size they will need a pilot truck & I think a wide load permit, buddy got one they are nice his was 10X20 few years ago it was around $6,800.00, they drop it where you need it. He dealt with the Holden colony
You will not need a pilot car at 12 ft wide x 20 ft long.
Or a permit for wide loads.

You will however, need to know exact dimensions, as beacon lights on hauling unit, flags on all four outer extremities, and either wide load, or a D sign front and back of said hauling unit.

Also not to be hauled on uncle bobs Chevy from the farm with his sons old quad trailer.
When you leave point of loading, you are responsible for the same load weight on axles to what your tires are rated for, load securement, dimension, etc as a commercial vehicle when loaded.

Dot/ peace officers love these hauls come spring, or when she's ice fishin time with shacks.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moniaw24 View Post
I would 2nd the Hutterite's ... either the Morinville colony or I do believe Pibroch is selling them now too... can't beat the quality and price IMO
The Morinville colony delivers as well , they do an excellent job
Cat
Old 03-28-2019, 10:42 PM

Saw the neighbor just put one together that he bought at Uncle Weiners. Looked pretty good