Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-06-2010, 10:25 AM

Default Peerless Lake

I know there's still lots of hard water fishing left but I'm starting to plan for the short open water season we get here in Alberta.

It's been a number of years since I've been up to Peerless Lake to snag some lakers and I'm wondering what the state of the campground is there. Any information would be appreciated. I still travel light and use a tent so all I really need is a flat spot with good water access. How is the boat launching there now? I drag a 14' aluminum Lund and have found a lot of launches are getting too shallow even for it.

Thanks for any info and enjoy the rest of the ice season.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:39 AM

Go to Cold!!!
Old 02-06-2010, 01:35 PM

was there last year and had an AMAZING time... pulled some monsters out.. thinking of going there before open water and try and pull some up through the ice... campground was in good shape.. same with the boat launch...
Old 02-06-2010, 09:12 PM

How do you protect your stuff from being stolen when it is stored in a tent?
Old 02-07-2010, 02:14 AM

never had any issue... but always had a fith wheel to sleep in
Old 02-07-2010, 11:35 AM

Thumbs up Cheap Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by southunter View Post
How do you protect your stuff from being stolen when it is stored in a tent?
When camping up there I would set out a bottle of rye that can be easily seen in your site. That area has a history of high theft and vandelism.
Its cheap insurance and peace of mind.
Good Luck Happy Fishin
Old 02-07-2010, 01:46 PM

Put a cheap bottle outside and keep the good stuff with ya!
Old 02-09-2010, 09:04 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the feedback although I must say in 40 odd years of hunting and fishing from a tent in Alberta and BC, I've never had anything 'go missing". Is this peculiar to Peerless Lake, or it's location?
Old 02-09-2010, 11:37 AM

Default theft

lakes on a reserve or close to a reservation have a tendancy for high theft ratio... no, im not racist, but its the truth. my daughter is cree. i have been to lakes where pple have gone out fishing on the lake only to return and find their truck there missing 4 wheels! And yes peerless is one of the worst areas.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:37 AM

yep the area is bad for theft. wabasca too. had both of our coolers stolen from there. half of our food and all of our beer. we jumped in the river boat to head up the wabasca river and found it at the boat launch. all food intact...no beer..lol
Old 02-09-2010, 11:59 AM

Thumbs down Camping @ Peerless or Graham Lakes

A close friend was camped up there during the summer months and he had his tires slashed, gas stolen. He considers himself lucky since they did not touch the rental boat and motor he had. The old saying goes sleep with a guard dog and a strong piece of wood. It that fails try the bottle of rye as a guard dog.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:35 PM

I used to spend lots of time there and never had a problem. I've heard all the storys but never saw any of it. We would leave all the booze out in plain sight in case some one was looking for something to steal (never happenned). Most of the time we spent at Peerless was in the spring so there was always other campers there and everyone always has an eye out for that kind of thing. You can always tell when people cruise through the campground if there camping or doing Inventory.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:58 PM

Default Your Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topwater View Post
I used to spend lots of time there and never had a problem. I've heard all the storys but never saw any of it. We would leave all the booze out in plain sight in case some one was looking for something to steal (never happenned). Most of the time we spent at Peerless was in the spring so there was always other campers there and everyone always has an eye out for that kind of thing. You can always tell when people cruise through the campground if there camping or doing Inventory.
You have a large horseshoe working for you.