Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-12-2016, 07:28 PM

Thumbs up Scouting for elk in WMU 356

This is the first time I have ever posted on the forum but I was hoping that someone could give me some good intel for WMU 356. I am staying up on the Dobson road and have been here for about 10 days. I have been scouting every day and have seen dozens of whitetails and moose but have had no luck spotting any elk. With the current ATV ban in place I have been mostly sticking to the roads but I would like to put some more miles on my boots and track down some elk. I just don't know where to start so any advice would be very helpful for the upcoming archery season. Thanks.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:39 PM

I am not familiar with the Dobson rd, but I have hunted and worked extensively in the southern portions of 356.
Elk are there, but in small herds. They are very difficult to locate in the early season with no snow.
I dont think success rates for antlerless or antlered elk are very good in the southern portions of the WMU.
Im talking specifically about the Weyerhauser, Porcupine, Red Rock, Wolf Creek and Nose Mountain rds.
I think you will fair much better to the north and north west portions of the zone if looking for elk specifically
Old 05-12-2016, 07:48 PM

Thanks for the tips 7mmremmag. The Dobson rd is about 6km down the Rat Creek rd from KM 6 of the Husky. I see moose and deer every day but have yet to see any elk and I worked in the area all winter as well. I am in the southern portion of the WMU so maybe your right and Ill head further North. Thanks again.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:52 PM

From my experience the Cutbank always held pockets of elk, but they move so much and are so hard to pattern its almost a waste of time.
I love that country and miss working down there terribly, but it wouldnt be my first choice of places to chase elk.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:02 PM

Your probably right and perhaps its too early to start my scouting but I have lots of time and Ill be in the area often so I figured I would put in the time looking and hope for the best. I do appreciate all the tips though. Alot of guys get pretty cranky when guys are asking for elk hunting tips. Im just trying to put in the hours and hopefully find them. If not its still enjoyable looking.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:43 AM

You've been doing it all wrong, you can't scout for elk from the road, and that applies for every units.

As for 356, at this time of the year they can be anywhere through out the unit, but as winter gets near, their habitat shrinks significantly. You won't find any big herd in there, just small group or individual. They cover a lot of ground to avoid predators (here today, gone tomorrow) and they tend to be quiet, even during peak of the rut. To be successful in that unit, you either have a lot of time to keep track of them or you are very lucky and just happen to be at right place at the right time.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:30 PM
Banned

I'm impressed your seeing whitetails!!

Head down the hammerhead just south of the Kakwa.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:24 AM

Default Hey

teddy lane by the river always has elk, group of guys I know through work get 1 to 3 every year, they draw cow tags tho..a lot of construction in there last year. Good luck
Darrell
Old 05-15-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck71 View Post
teddy lane by the river always has elk, group of guys I know through work get 1 to 3 every year, they draw cow tags tho..a lot of construction in there last year. Good luck
Darrell
We've hunted what used to be good spots along the canfor and Teddy last year. Its over run with guys now. I'd look further towards Cache unless you enjoy calling in multiple hunters daily!
Old 05-16-2016, 07:01 PM

Default yep

Ya the last couple years ive only been back up in november so people wernt bad at all, but oh yes september, when i lived up there every person bugling every 5 minutes some still in their truck! lol
Darrell
Old 05-29-2016, 09:14 AM

356 is like a dead moose in the ditch after winter. Used to produce but its been picked over for a long time...... The crows and ravens still swing by to see of there are any scraps left.
Small groups of elk here and there, they group up in the winter and spring where ever they find the good or easy feed. People see them from time to time and think there must be lots of them. Especailly in the spring when there is only a few little new green patches, beside the hwy and on new pipelines or right on the pipe, you get an idea of the units population cause you are seeing most of it. The majority of the elk are at or on the private land. Permission is not given out easy these days. Better units to hunt elk.

Full of wolves too.

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 05-29-2016, 09:43 AM

I hunted elk in 356 from 1991 until 2002, except for 1997 IIRC.

7mmremmag is correct. Elk were in small pockets mostly on the north side of the Cutbank. We used to camp on the south side of the Cutbank or near the Rat Creek Rd bridge.

Lots of mulies up there in those years. Tons of black bears too, one year, '95 I think, I saw 9 bears in a week. We three two moose out of there too.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembo View Post
I hunted elk in 356 from 1991 until 2002, except for 1997 IIRC.

7mmremmag is correct. Elk were in small pockets mostly on the north side of the Cutbank. We used to camp on the south side of the Cutbank or near the Rat Creek Rd bridge.

Lots of mulies up there in those years. Tons of black bears too, one year, '95 I think, I saw 9 bears in a week. We three two moose out of there too.
That's sounds right from what I've experienced in that area as well around that time. When I first started hunting I'd go somewhere in 356 2-3x a week. Also covered the whole zone a few times on sundays shooting chickens. Ran into elk by chance, need to spend lots of time in the bush getting to know travel patterns etc.
Nowdays most of my time in 356 is on the two lakes road when I go fishing and usually see at least one grizzly per trip and off the main road wolf tracks are common. Still think its one of the best zones for grouse though. Scouting now would not get you any further ahead for fall, unless you stumble on a lick or something and find a little honey hole so to speak.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:56 PM

The problem lies in recruitment. There are so few calves left at the end of winter its sad. There is a cow season that goes well into winter and well into the mountains to make the farmers happy that live 50 +k's away. I know they can travel that distance but most of them don't. They stay along the river valleys and hwy in the winter and paw up feed if the wind and sun doesnt expose it. The general season goes to the end nov and any young bull that is lucky enough to survive the wolves as a calf is pretty much a gonner the first year he has 3 points. The unit should be managed different than it is, hammer on the farmland elk and tighten up the regs for the mountian and bush elk. Cancel the cow leh off of or close to private land. The elk in the foothills and mountains where the crown land is are a valuable resource and should be managed to enhanced numbers.
The problem also is there is too much access. It needs to be managed also.

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 05-29-2016, 08:50 PM

The elk are dropping their calves right now up here. They disappeared about 7-10 days ago. You won't see them for another couple weeks now, same as the moose. We were seeing 20 cow moose and 50-60 elk per day 3 weeks ago.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:02 PM

Thanks to everyone for all the great tips. I wasn't expecting such great replies. Cant thank you guys enough.