Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-28-2010, 09:00 PM

Default Are there any GOOD gundealers in or around Calgary

Can anyone recommend a good outfit to buy firearms around Calgary.I am absolutely sick and tired of the ritards at BPS and the waiting at WSS.

All I want to do is go to a place and check out a few hunting rifles and be able to trust that they know what they're talking about.

Would you want the kid who works at BPS installing a $1600.00 scope on a $2000.00 rifle?...............Me neither.

Thanks all.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:00 PM

So do your own research, know what you want and install your own scope.

Better yet ask here. There is a pile of guys here with years and years of knowledge and experience with every sort of firearm you could imagine.

Why would you want someone else to tell you which gun or scope you should buy anyway? Most of the opinions that you will get from ANY gun store or internet site will be just that...opinions. Who's to say they are right?

It gets kinda tiring hearing all of the stories of the BPS or WSS folks having bad service or unknowledgeable staff. I did some research on a scope. I decided that I wanted the Leupold VXIII 3.5-10x40. I researched which rings and bases would be good for my setup. I went into BPS this afternoon and grabbed the rings and bases, took them to the counter and told the fella to hand over the scope I wanted. He took it to the till and I was out of there in about 10 minutes.

I got great service as I wasn't hassled and the fella didn't try to upsell me, got what [I]I[I] wanted and looked at all the pretty critters for the umpteenth time.

It was a great day.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
So do your own research, know what you want and install your own scope.

Better yet ask here. There is a pile of guys here with years and years of knowledge and experience with every sort of firearm you could imagine.

Why would you want someone else to tell you which gun or scope you should buy anyway? Most of the opinions that you will get from ANY gun store or internet site will be just that...opinions. Who's to say they are right?

It gets kinda tiring hearing all of the stories of the BPS or WSS folks having bad service or unknowledgeable staff. I did some research on a scope. I decided that I wanted the Leupold VXIII 3.5-10x40. I researched which rings and bases would be good for my setup. I went into BPS this afternoon and grabbed the rings and bases, took them to the counter and told the fella to hand over the scope I wanted. He took it to the till and I was out of there in about 10 minutes.

I got great service as I wasn't hassled and the fella didn't try to upsell me, got what [I]I[I] wanted and looked at all the pretty critters for the umpteenth time.

It was a great day.
Right on. Researching the gear you want is part of the fun. Don't expect the BPS or WSS guys to know everything. Long lineups at WSS are probably due in no small part to customers who have NOT done their homework.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:33 PM

Default Wss

I agree with this. I have been looking for a rifle for a bit and researching like crazy reports on anything I am interested in. This forum is a great place to start if you are really new at it and don`t know where to start. Google is also a great tool.

As far as WSS I would disagree with the part about guys not knowing what they want. I was in there on Friday knowing exactly what I wanted to see. Big problem is that they have to go to the back for everything. They can`t leave the gun on the counter so have to put the first one away while they go get the second. Then you want to look at the scope you want on the gun and they have to go to the back for that. I must have taken up a half hour of one guys time and probably 15 minutes was waiting for him to go and come from the back. A certain amount was watching him try and figure out on the computer if they even had it in the store. There was a guy there beside me buying a gun and he was there when I got there with the gun and still there when I left trying to get the scope stuff organized.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:37 PM

Oh, and by the way, I doubt that anyone who works at BPS is a "ritard."
Old 03-29-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
Oh, and by the way, I doubt that anyone who works at BPS is a "ritard."
When I ask to look at a Remington XCR and he says "Uhhhhhhhhhhh,I don't think we carry those" and I tell the guy that they are right behind him................Then he tells me he doesn't know much about guns.................?
Old 03-29-2010, 11:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
When I ask to look at a Remington XCR and he says "Uhhhhhhhhhhh,I don't think we carry those" and I tell the guy that they are right behind him................Then he tells me he doesn't know much about guns.................?
I would have asked to speak to Glen(Manager). I would have let him know that this unexceptible for service at a gun counter. What did you do??? Just walk out? That does not make things any better. So if you need to go back you might have to deal with the same person. That is the consumers job complain if service Sucks not just come on here and complain with out doing your part.IMO...

Last edited by JustinC; 03-29-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:05 PM

BTW. I have done my homework but you can only get so much info.off the internet.

It's hard to know what a gun shoulders like for each individual from reviews.What might work well for the author of an article might not work for someone else.Also,knowledgeable staff can help a great deal with finding optics,bases and rings for a particular rifle.

Scenario: Let's say I go into a gunshop and say I want an XCR because of great things I read on the internet.Try it,like it, and then the guy says "Have you checked out Cooper Rifles?"Never heard of 'em but I'll check it out.WOW I love the feel of this Cooper rifle I've never heard of before;perhaps this is more along the lines of what I'm looking for.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinC View Post
I would have asked to speak to Glen(Manager). I would have let him know that this unexceptible for service at a gun counter. What did you do??? Just walk out? That does not make things any better. So if you need to go back you might have to deal with the same person. That is the consumers job complain if service Sucks not just come on here and complain with out doing your part.
Thanks Justin,sometimes I'm a little too quick to walk out of a store.I did not know the Manager's name was Glen.If I go back I will ask for him if I get sub-par service.

I don't want to come across as whining and I know that's how it looks;it's just frustrating when this is the service I've received the last few times out.And you are right.If I bring this to a manager,maybe they will know that their staff need more training.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:18 PM

Well the timing is right for you to head down to the BMO centre at the Stampede grounds next weekend ( Fri & Sat, Easter weekend) and see half the vendors in the province under the same roof.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
Thanks Justin,sometimes I'm a little too quick to walk out of a store.I did not know the Manager's name was Glen.If I go back I will ask for him if I get sub-par service.

I don't want to come across as whining and I know that's how it looks;it's just frustrating when this is the service I've received the last few times out.And you are right.If I bring this to a manager,maybe they will know that their staff need more training.
I understand where you are coming from. I only ask certian people all of the questions you are talking about. As for real good service ask for him next time.But I would go to wss cause they have way more stuff. I go in later in the evening and they are not busy and you have all the time in the world to sholder all guns and there are some very nolagible people that do work there as well but I would talk to more than one person there as some know nothing but all in all they are better that bass pro.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:27 PM

Kinda hard to take you serious when you think every one is a "ritard" By the way ****** is not the exactly an acceptable term these days.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond k View Post
Kinda hard to take you serious when you think every one is a "ritard" By the way ****** is not the exactly an acceptable term these days.
Just a joke from the movie "Hangover".
Old 03-30-2010, 02:58 AM
Banned

Seems like you would appreciate a more upscale type of service.
I would head down to The Shooting Edge.

They really do know what they are talking about.

Jamie
Old 03-30-2010, 05:38 AM

Default gun dealers

I have had professional service at Pro line gun shop in Inglewood....Calgary.
the staff are very good and helpfull; they themselves are shooters/hunters and there is no b.s.... prices are competitive, sometimes lower than BPS and WSS.
I would recommend them highly.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:21 AM

X2 on pro line 2 on 9th ave
Old 03-30-2010, 12:20 PM

X 3 on Pro Line
Old 03-30-2010, 12:33 PM

Default Pro line good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Separatist View Post
I have had professional service at Pro line gun shop in Inglewood....Calgary.
the staff are very good and helpfull; they themselves are shooters/hunters and there is no b.s.... prices are competitive, sometimes lower than BPS and WSS.
I would recommend them highly.
I've delt with pro line also, nothing bad to say, knowledgable guys but less selection, very helpful. I think they are all avid shooters. WSS would be my second choice, some of the guys are very knowlegable and they have good selection, good place to see the variety, very willing to help once you get past the initial wait. BPS is an absolute last resort, I avoid them.

Mounting and bore sighting an is not that big a deal, very easy for most rifles. Just buy the right rings and take your time.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:41 PM

check out www shooterschoice.ca Roger is quite honest and helpfull, though he doesn't have the inventory of the big box stores.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:48 PM

X2 on Roger at Shooters Choice.
His prices include GST and are very competitive.
He is a real gentleman--too bad he is retiring soon.
Hawkeye
Old 03-30-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
X2 on Roger at Shooters Choice.
His prices include GST and are very competitive.
He is a real gentleman--too bad he is retiring soon.
Hawkeye
I wouldn't be too worried about Rogers retirement he's "slowing down" but there's plenty of stuff still there and coming in.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:30 PM

Hi there,
It's worth the drive to WSS in Lethbridge,knowledgable and friendly staff,phone ahead and get a 'feel' for it first.I've made 3 happy purchases there,all the redneck folk south of Nanton go there,that's what I've heard !!
TM.