Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-14-2019, 08:35 PM

Default cellular trail cam

Is someone can review a cellular trail cam that you use lately?
Reliable?
Battery life for how many pic?
Can u change set up from app? Or from home anyway
How much for cell plan? And how many pic allowed?
I m considering Spypoint, but all info is helpfull
Thx
Frank
Old 04-14-2019, 08:47 PM
Banned

I had a spypoint for just over a year. They sent me an email saying that they are no longer supporting the cam and that it was unable to send pics over cell service. They offered me a pathetic discount on a new model after I had spent 400$+ on a camera that was no longer supported. I told them to stick it and bought a Ridgtec off Lance in Lethbridge. Much easier set up compared to the spypoint.
Never again will I support the Quebec based spypoint after they screwed me, and many other users of the "mini live 4G"
Call Ridgtec, Lance, speak English and get good service.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:11 PM

I have the new Spypoint LTE DARK. Its WAY better than the old spypoint cameras, absolute night and day difference.

Spypoint also emailed me saying my old camera will no longer work. So they sent me a brand new LINK DARK for free. I will never switch from Spypoint. I have 3 of their cameras now.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwolf View Post
I have the new Spypoint LTE DARK. Its WAY better than the old spypoint cameras, absolute night and day difference.

Spypoint also emailed me saying my old camera will no longer work. So they sent me a brand new LINK DARK for free. I will never switch from Spypoint. I have 3 of their cameras now.
For free! They really screwed me!
Old 04-15-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
I had a spypoint for just over a year. They sent me an email saying that they are no longer supporting the cam and that it was unable to send pics over cell service. They offered me a pathetic discount on a new model after I had spent 400$+ on a camera that was no longer supported. I told them to stick it and bought a Ridgtec off Lance in Lethbridge. Much easier set up compared to the spypoint.

Never again will I support the Quebec based spypoint after they screwed me, and many other users of the "mini live 4G"

Call Ridgtec, Lance, speak English and get good service.
That's exactly why I don't support spypoint

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2019, 08:56 AM

Spypoint sent me one for free. But I upgraded to Link S. Paid a lil extra for the built in solar panel.

Love Spypoint. They do have an english button too. Relax guys.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:03 AM

Default Spypoint live 4g

My cam has been set up all winter, with a solar panel. Was supposed to stop working but still getting pics every day of deer. Gonna turn it into a reg cam and use link S cam w built in. Where there is cell service these cams are beyond amazing. 15$ a month through Telus, zero issues. Great hunter advantage, worth the weight in gold. Link S going out this wknd. Slight diff apps etc, cant wait.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:15 AM

I have 3 Spy Point Link Evo cell cameras.
I love them, the app is super easy to use, takes great pictures, can change settings from the app, check battery life etc.
I will be switching over to all Spy Point Link Evo's for the areas I use cameras with cell service.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:19 AM

Between our yard at work and personal use, we have 11 Ridgetec summit 4's out. They've been great. Trigger speed is off the charts as well as durability. If there was anything to complain about it would be that their motion range FAR exceeds their flash range. On the lowest setting I'll get pictures of eyeballs 60 yards away. The odd time you get a glitch in a camera, but that can happen with all of them. What really makes Ridgetec stand out is their service. It is absolutely second to none. Troy down in Lethbridge knows these things inside and out. I've taken the cameras apart with Troy in my ear a couple times after the warranty expired, always helped me out. Lance is very good too.
Not sure about the new style that uploads to a main server, I prefer choosing where my pictures go. Spy Point has been that way for a while. I believe Ridgetec was the last to switch over.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmremmag View Post
I have 3 Spy Point Link Evo cell cameras.
I love them, the app is super easy to use, takes great pictures, can change settings from the app, check battery life etc.
I will be switching over to all Spy Point Link Evo's for the areas I use cameras with cell service.
Would have gave you one as they are total POS the company and the product! The elk did me a favour and thrashed it...never ever ever again list for me
Old 04-15-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Would have gave you one as they are total POS the company and the product! The elk did me a favour and thrashed it...never ever ever again list for me
Maybe Spypoint, bought Wildlife innovations units,
Old 04-15-2019, 10:10 PM

That is a lot of review, thx
Is the dark or S would have similar network reception as an iPhone? I have concern about having network where I want to use the cam. My plan is check if I can send a text with my IPhone. If my phone can, does it mean my dark or s will do the same? And if it can’t the cam will do the same?
Old 04-16-2019, 06:46 AM

Spypoint has a NEW camera that just came out... Looks good, but no real reviews yet
Old 04-16-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Thank View Post
Is the dark or S would have similar network reception as an iPhone? I have concern about having network where I want to use the cam. My plan is check if I can send a text with my IPhone. If my phone can, does it mean my dark or s will do the same? And if it can’t the cam will do the same?
That was my biggest problem. My iPhone would have 4 bars and the camera would have 1...hung a different camera up and found out how many pics I was missing. The only lace it was reliable was in the house on wifi.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
My cam has been set up all winter, with a solar panel. Was supposed to stop working but still getting pics every day of deer. Gonna turn it into a reg cam and use link S cam w built in. Where there is cell service these cams are beyond amazing. 15$ a month through Telus, zero issues. Great hunter advantage, worth the weight in gold. Link S going out this wknd. Slight diff apps etc, cant wait.
Is it $15 a month per camera, or is that what the package costs and you can have multiples?
Old 04-16-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
That was my biggest problem. My iPhone would have 4 bars and the camera would have 1...hung a different camera up and found out how many pics I was missing. The only lace it was reliable was in the house on wifi.
Which camera have you had the most luck with?
Old 04-16-2019, 01:58 PM

Uway MB500. I have 5 of them that work great $15 a month each.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Thank View Post
The spypoint LINK-DARK transmits way better than the old LINK-4G I had.
The dark will transmit pictures on one bar (same as my phone gets in that location). My old link 4G needed 3 bars to transmit anything and would not transmit at all from the location the DARK is at now.

My 4G was more than a year old so I had to pay for the upgrade but I am happy with it.

If you want to "transmit on each detection" plan on using a car sized battery. You will only get a couple of weeks out of the AA's....

Old 04-16-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermag View Post
Is it $15 a month per camera, or is that what the package costs and you can have multiples?
Just the single I run.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren32 View Post
The spypoint LINK-DARK transmits way better than the old LINK-4G I had.
The dark will transmit pictures on one bar (same as my phone gets in that location). My old link 4G needed 3 bars to transmit anything and would not transmit at all from the location the DARK is at now.

My 4G was more than a year old so I had to pay for the upgrade but I am happy with it.

If you want to "transmit on each detection" plan on using a car sized battery. You will only get a couple of weeks out of the AA's....

Someone needs a Link S😜
Old 04-18-2019, 06:51 AM

My Spypoint Link S models are hard to beat for any cell cam hands down. We also run a Covert Black OPS, UWay MB600, Spypoint Evo-J, and none come close to the reliability and cost savings of the Spypoint Link-S. They work so good I have 3 Link S units and would love to buy more if the cost wasn't $600 per unit. I'm looking forward to buying a couple Micro-Links to try out.

I'm always adjusting my camera's remotely via the Spypoint APP if I have pesky rabbits setting them off to turn the sensitivity down or number of pics taken and can keep track of SD card space and all. It's so handy and can put it on friends and family members phones to share the fun! No other brand will be cheaper to run, I don't even know how anyone gets SIM cards for cheaper then $35/mth from Telus anymore. They must be carried over from older plans to have that price I have called and been a telus customer for over 20 years?

On a Link S with 32G card setup properly you will never run out of battery power and could take thousands of pics and 100's of videos before the card fills up.

As long as you can send a pic from your phone they will send pics to the app. Best part is if the signal is too weak it will try again later and you still get the old pics to upload to the app to view so you can see the history even when the weather gets bad!