Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-16-2019, 05:16 PM

Default Vancouver Island Salmon Closures

It appears areas around Vancouver Island, and BC’s Lower Mainland will experience periods of closures for Chinook Salmon this summer... Give the article a read to ensure changes won’t interfere with plans you may have made...

https://www.canada.ca/en/fisheries-o...k-decline.html
Old 04-16-2019, 07:37 PM

Default Other species in early June ???

Dang it !! We have a trip booked to Comox for early June.... Does anyone have any info on coho numbers or the odds of other species being present in any numbers in that area in early June ? Our logistics guy is calling our guide tomorrow but I have a feeling he might tell us anything to prevent us from cancelling.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:47 PM

DFO Announces Chinook Fishery Shutdown
FeaturesNews
April 16, 2019 Joel Unickow 426 5 comments
As of today, an announcement was made for non-retention of Chinook quietly via press release at 2:00PM.

While it’s unclear how this decision will affect the BC economy overall, there has been tremendous concern about how it would affect local economies and businesses that depend on tourism—namely “recreational” sports fishing. In addition to closures, the annual retention of Chinook has been reduced from 30 to 10.

Click here for links to our full coverage, if you are not familiar with the series of events.

At this point in time, the industry is in shock. More to follow.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surhuntsalot View Post
It appears areas around Vancouver Island, and BC’s Lower Mainland will experience periods of closures for Chinook Salmon this summer... Give the article a read to ensure changes won’t interfere with plans you may have made...

https://www.canada.ca/en/fisheries-o...k-decline.html
Thanks for the link and appreciate the heads up.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .270fan View Post
Dang it !! We have a trip booked to Comox for early June.... Does anyone have any info on coho numbers or the odds of other species being present in any numbers in that area in early June ? Our logistics guy is calling our guide tomorrow but I have a feeling he might tell us anything to prevent us from cancelling.
Were the words 'non refundable' disclosed to you?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-17-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .270fan View Post

There will be Coho around in the 2-3lb range. Last year out of Campbell River was the best I’ve seen for Coho in the last 27 years. They really don’t start getting into the 4lb range until July and you can only keep hatchery clipped fish, although every one you catch could be a hatchery fish.

I talked with 2 buddies last night that guide and the cancellations have been pouring in. It’s going to be a tough year for them and after this summer I predict there will be a lot less guides on the south coast in the future.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:17 PM

We went through a similar closure last year in Prince Rupert. The Chinook limit was reduced, then closed for a period. There were no Coho available at the time , so that put an end to the Salmon game for a month. There were a few cancellations, but I also picked up a few more charters at the same time. Some charters were hit harder than others. Guys that didn’t want to put the effort in , or bottomfish were hit harder. Overall I gained quite a few days as a result of last years closure. People that had been fishing for years for salmon and Halibut had no idea of some of the other opportunities, and many when rebooking for this year added an extra day just to enjoy fishing for Sea Bass, or Ling...

Overall a mindset needs to change a bit. It’s no longer just about the limits, but about the experience. I saw people say they didn’t want to go Salmon fishing because the limit for Chinook had been reduced by 1 fish, yet the book a trip Sturgeon fishing which is strictly C&R... There are fishing lodges that have done well fly fishing for Steelhead that are C&R, and who’s anglers would be horrified if they killed a fish, yet are willing to spend thousands of dollars coming from all over the world to experience the fishing. I know these fisheries have highs and lows, but people will continue to fish. Look at the Alberta regulations. Not so much catch and keep anymore, but I bet campgrounds will be full this summer, and anglers will catch a nice walleye, snap a quick pic, and release it ... again