Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-03-2023, 07:42 AM

Default 2009, 250 Merc SC Verado....Opinion?

Looking for a new rig more suitable for the type of fishing and time on the water I am doing. Found something I like with a Merc 250 SC Verado with 350 hrs....anyone have experience or opinions on this unit?? Looking for input before I drop the hammer. Thanks!
Old 12-03-2023, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
Looking for a new rig more suitable for the type of fishing and time on the water I am doing. Found something I like with a Merc 250 SC Verado with 350 hrs....anyone have experience or opinions on this unit?? Looking for input before I drop the hammer. Thanks!
I have twin 2017 300HP Verados and love them. I've only had one season, but they have performed well. I bought them with 200 Hrs.
Old 12-03-2023, 06:26 PM

Ya heard all great thing about the newer motors....just the teething issues with the older first gen models...just co firmed it's actually a 2000 year model...so guess in my opinion...may as well run it till it blows up before I Re-Power...lol
Old 12-03-2023, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
I have the smaller version, 2010 150 verado. Its about 250 hrs. I love the motor. Had to do the fuel pump replacement a few years ago, but has run like a top otherwise.
Old 12-04-2023, 08:22 AM

Some of the early Verado L6s had issues for sure, but as a rule, if they were gonna blow up, they'd blow up pretty quick.

By 2009 Mercury had most of the kinks worked out, and if it's got 350 hrs on it, that's almost kinda the sweet spot. It's got enough hrs on it that it's proven itself reliable, and at the same time, it's got TONS of life left in it. It's lived a pretty easy life so far at 25-30 hrs a year. The L6 Verados are good for 2500-3000 hrs in the saltwater environment, so 350 is just barely broken in by that standard.

I've had several L6s over the years, all have treated me very well. Up until the V8 came out a couple years ago, pretty much everyone I know was running an L6, and I can think of very few guys that had issues, and definitely fewer issues than a couple other brands, one of which is no longer making outboards... The L6 performance was really good, and it was a very reliable outboard, it just wasn't EPA certifiable, and I'm guessing, it was expensive to manufacture compared to the new V8s.
Old 12-04-2023, 08:51 AM

Thanks everyone...and I finally have the serial number and the sales contract, so I finally know for sure that it's a 2005...lol. The JOY of buying a boat in Ontario. The dealer I'm working with seems pretty good so far...I was just needing real world users opinion. So thanks all and I guess now there is a road trip in my future!
Old 12-10-2023, 02:29 PM

Had a 2009 250 Verado on my Striper and loved it! Tons of power and did ok for fuel economy, and super quiet. It is easy to service, the only thing I didn’t like wa the power steering setup for my trolling motor, needed 12v constant power to steer the kicker off the main motor.
Old 12-11-2023, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by browning375 View Post
Had a 2009 250 Verado on my Striper and loved it! Tons of power and did ok for fuel economy, and super quiet. It is easy to service, the only thing I didn’t like wa the power steering setup for my trolling motor, needed 12v constant power to steer the kicker off the main motor.
Good to know! Gonna have My Local dealer set up a Merc 15 Kicker Pro next to it. I'll make sure to go over that and make sure the on board power situation is adaquate..