Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-03-2010, 10:36 AM

Default First Rifle Purchase

You guys probably get this a lot but I just got my pal yesterday in the mail and was going to go rifle shopping in the next day or 2 for my first rifle. Some calibers i have shot are 30-30, 300 wsm, .223 and thats it for bigger calibers. Im a bit of a recoil wuss and the 300wsm was a handful to shoot. it was a tikka t3 rifle with a recoil pad. shoulder was hurting after 3-4 shots off the bench. anyways i was looking at either a .270 win or a 30-06. I figure it should be good up to elk, and with less recoil i could be more accurate/ not flinching when I shoot it. I don't want to spend a ton of money so i was looking at the savage rifle scope combos with accutriggers. around 550-600. any opinions on a good starter rifle around that price range? something to just get me started out. thanks for reading
Old 11-03-2010, 10:43 AM

I am a huge fan of my Savage. You can't go wrong with that rifle/scope combo in my opinion. I bought one in .308 as well as 7mm.08 and both guns are great shooters. My Missus shoots both without too much complaining, and she would complain if she won the lottery so you should be fine in either calibre.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:59 AM

awesome, thanks. where would be the best place to go gun shopping in edmonton this time of year for selection? i was thinking either WSS or i heard good things about p&d wherever that might be. Im guessing selection isnt the greatest due to hunting season being here, but im hoping for some decent guns in stock.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:03 PM

+1

A savage in either round would be a solid rig.

Spliting hairs 270 has an advantage in trajectory and 30-06 for bigger bullets.

But thats splitting hairs both are 100% right.

I am not sure what glass in on for the combos, usually it's meh. A savage and the best glass you can afford and you are set.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Banned

I shoot a .270 and have taken moose and deer with it, its enough gun for anything in AB. I would recomend the 7mm08 though, its will do pretty much anything a .270 will but with a fair bit less recoil. The Savages are decent guns and the Acu Trigger is about the best factory trigger I've shot. They are quite light however which is why I didnt buy one, especily if recoil is an issue (no shame in that) you might want to look at somthing with a bit more weight like a Weatherby Vangaurd.

You mentioned the 30-30 in your first post, I started out with one. Its a very practical and under rated round and still one of my favorites.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colour86 View Post
i heard good things about p&d wherever that might be.
I am going to throw my vote to P&D. You will spend a little bit more money, but the service you get there is second to none.
http://www.p-d-ent.com/
Old 11-03-2010, 03:10 PM

You are on the right track.

When it comes to elk and moose I'm a 30 cal minmum guy for a new shooter, the 270 is more of a seasoned marksman weapon with big animals. Also the 30 calibers are the easiest to load for and offer wonderful selection of bullets right here in Alberta. You might choose the 30-06 because of better heavy bullet performance but the 308 is a fine cartridge. I've shot many a round through an FN in the Forces and would carry it with confidence. Up to 165 grains they are comparable but the velocity spread increases in favor of the 30-06 after that, so does the kick.

Consider the 30-06 as standard recoil and shoot your choice a lot to get comfortable and train out flinching. Flyweight guns suck in my opinion and kick like the devil.

Stay with common long standing calibers. I just bought a 32-20 and what a nightmare finding components and ammo. Also new cartridges are dropped as fast as they appear. In 5 years you don't want an orphan cartridge.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck Bob View Post
You are on the right track.

When it comes to elk and moose I'm a 30 cal minmum guy for a new shooter, the 270 is more of a seasoned marksman weapon with big animals. Also the 30 calibers are the easiest to load for and offer wonderful selection of bullets right here in Alberta. You might choose the 30-06 because of better heavy bullet performance but the 308 is a fine cartridge. I've shot many a round through an FN in the Forces and would carry it with confidence. Up to 165 grains they are comparable but the velocity spread increases in favor of the 30-06 after that, so does the kick.

Consider the 30-06 as standard recoil and shoot your choice a lot to get comfortable and train out flinching. Flyweight guns suck in my opinion and kick like the devil.

Stay with common long standing calibers. I just bought a 32-20 and what a nightmare finding components and ammo. Also new cartridges are dropped as fast as they appear. In 5 years you don't want an orphan cartridge.
I havnt met an animal yet that could tell the difference between a .270 bullet and a .30 and I would rate my shooting average at best. My personal theory is that delivered ftlbs usualy has very little to do with how fast a moose goes down unless your shooting a canon. Any medium sized caliber is just poking holes in him, you wont shock him to death like can happen with deer, any round that can poke a hole far enough into the right place gets roughly the same results. Not saying the .270 is better than the .30 cal rounds because thats a matter of opinion but the only place you will see the difference between any of the rounds you mentioned is on a balistics table.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
anyways i was looking at either a .270 win or a 30-06.
Trust your experience. That's your caliber right there. And either can down any animal in this province. Brand of gun doesn't matter, as long as it's one of the main-line brands (remington, winchester, savage, browning, tikka,weatherby, etc.) and fits you well.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:40 PM

I've been looking into a 30-06 for my first rifle also. Check out the Marlin XL7.

Lots of people have told me good things about them.

There was also a guy in the buy sell area looking to get rid of his Savage 111 I think it was for $450 with scope.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickote316 View Post
I've been looking into a 30-06 for my first rifle also. Check out the Marlin XL7.

Lots of people have told me good things about them.

There was also a guy in the buy sell area looking to get rid of his Savage 111 I think it was for $450 with scope.
You will not go wrong with a 30-06 as your main rifle. You will not go wrong with a Savage. And I own neither. The only thing I would consider is the scope in the package you mention.

WAY too much anxiety is expended in selecting a rifle, IMHO. I've been there and agonized over it. If you chose anything between .270 and the main-line .30 calibers (.30-06, .308, .300WM or wsm variants) in any of the main-line brands (browning, reminton, winchester, weatherby, savage, tikka, etc.) you will be fine for pretty much anything in this province. We just like to argue semantics here, but any of those will do the trick.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:59 PM

The 270 is a fine cartridge and I meant no disrespect toward the deadly 270. The 30-06 is the single most popular round for decades for good reason. The 270 is close behind. I would still recommend the 308 or 30-06 for general hunting in Alberta to a new shooter or anyone asking.

I am a firm believer in bullet weight for big animals. I've used 375 H&H, 30-30, 303 Brit, 7 mm Rem magnum and 444 for moose. The only moose rifle I have left is the 444. The 375 leaves a blood trail from both sides you could follow with a weak flashlight, but it is no beginers gun.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:10 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

I'm a big believer in the 30-06, great ammo selection and very versitile
Old 11-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck Bob View Post
The 270 is a fine cartridge and I meant no disrespect toward the deadly 270. The 30-06 is the single most popular round for decades for good reason. The 270 is close behind. I would still recommend the 308 or 30-06 for general hunting in Alberta to a new shooter or anyone asking.

I am a firm believer in bullet weight for big animals. I've used 375 H&H, 30-30, 303 Brit, 7 mm Rem magnum and 444 for moose. The only moose rifle I have left is the 444. The 375 leaves a blood trail from both sides you could follow with a weak flashlight, but it is no beginers gun.
That moose is probably feeling the delivered energy with that canon eh?
Old 11-03-2010, 08:54 PM

well guys just got back from purchasing my first rifle.
broke the bank a bit and got a nice setup. Browning X Bolt in 7mm WSM.
its slim pickings at the gun stores due to time of year but I feel i made a good decision. paired it up with a redfield 4-12x scope. the gun feels amazing and the trigger is really nice. picked up some fusion 150gr ammo and looking forward to sighting it in this weekend I was like a kid in a candy store lol.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:23 PM

You made a great choice! The 7mm wsm is an awesome cartridge. Congrats and enjoy the new rig!
Old 11-03-2010, 09:38 PM

thanks! im really excited to get it out and get some rounds through it. looks like i can get out this season too. wasn't sure if i could earlier on. I know this isn't the most popular cartridge around, but i liked the ballistics, and it had a good range of ammo. it should be good for anything from deer to moose if i ever decide to go that far.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:30 PM

congrats on your purchase...nice rifle, I am little surprised in your pick of caliber with your concerns with felt recoil with a 300wsm
Old 11-03-2010, 10:35 PM

ya i know. i was debating recoil but when i shot the 300wsm it had a moderate recoil pad and the rifle was lighter then the x bolt. i almost bought a 30-06 tikka t3 lite but was a bit worried about its weight. it was really light. the xbolt feels like a better balanced gun, with a very nice recoil pad on the back. i dont think recoil will be that bad. less then the 300 for sure. i think recoil has more to do with the actual gun then the caliber. i will find out soon though lol.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:41 PM

i think you made an excellent first choice and the 'X' part makes sound dangerous.
now you need to knock something over and posta pic.
its manditory.
take care of it and it should last you a lifetime.
search breakin and cleaning procedures for new bbls

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 11-04-2010, 07:13 AM

My two bits worth on choice of rifle would be to handle every different rifle you can. The feel and balance in your hands will have far more affect on how well you shoot it than caliber.
Every legal hunting caliber will take down every animal. And yet if you don't like shooting the gun, you won't practice. If you won't practice, you won't become proficient.
These threads are full of opinions regarding makes, calibers and bullet weights and which is better.
The best rifle, caliber and bullet weight is the one you are comfortable enough with to shoot well.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
You will not go wrong with a 30-06 as your main rifle. You will not go wrong with a Savage. And I own neither. The only thing I would consider is the scope in the package you mention.

WAY too much anxiety is expended in selecting a rifle, IMHO. I've been there and agonized over it. If you chose anything between .270 and the main-line .30 calibers (.30-06, .308, .300WM or wsm variants) in any of the main-line brands (browning, reminton, winchester, weatherby, savage, tikka, etc.) you will be fine for pretty much anything in this province. We just like to argue semantics here, but any of those will do the trick.
I want a 30-06 cause it was the first rifle I ever got to shoot and theres a wide variety of bullet weights. I already "own" a .264 Winchester (Dad says its mine but he uses it more than me ) and that had enough power to take down my moose last year. I want a rifle that I can call my own and nobody else will touch lol
Old 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM

Congrats on the purchase Tyler. I think you made a good choice.

The offer still stands for getting out hunting. If you're free either of the last two weekends this month, let me know. I'm sure we could figure something out and get some meat in your freezer for the winter.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:58 PM

im definately free and would love to tag along. i have a few friends offering to take me out too but it seems to fall through every time. Im sighting it in this weekend at a frie nds place out in the country though so im getting prepared for the first time out actually hunting. I want to put a box or 2 of ammo through it before i actually shoot at anything. I want to feel confident for when the time comes. I will definitely keep you posted though
Old 11-04-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
im definately free and would love to tag along. i have a few friends offering to take me out too but it seems to fall through every time. Im sighting it in this weekend at a frie nds place out in the country though so im getting prepared for the first time out actually hunting. I want to put a box or 2 of ammo through it before i actually shoot at anything. I want to feel confident for when the time comes. I will definitely keep you posted though
Sounds like you have the right idea. Confidence in your rifle and your shooting ability is very important and the only way to really get that confidence is by practicing.

Shoot me a PM around the 15th or 16th and we'll make some plans.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:06 PM

sounds good. will do.
quick question about storing the rifle though. I bought a browning soft case for it and have it in there for the moment with the bolt pulled in a different room/ lock on it. Is it better to store the gun in the case or in the open? i heard storing in the case can eventually lead to rust, and i don't have a gun safe yet, but will when money permits me to buy one, but in the mean time I was just wondering so I can keep it in good condition.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Is it better to store the gun in the case or in the open? i heard storing in the case can eventually lead to rust, and i don't have a gun safe yet, but will when money permits me to buy one, but in the mean time I was just wondering so I can keep it in good condition.
The important thing is to never store it in the case if the rifle or the case have any moisture on/in them at all. As long as you dry the gun and the case out really good once you get home then it shouldn't be a problem. That might mean letting it air dry for a couple days. A case that is just barely damp can cause you a lot of grief but if it's good and dry then it should be fine.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
That moose is probably feeling the delivered energy with that canon eh?
The 444 is a fine moose rifle. My last one was a big bull west of Rocky. 174 paces down a cutline about 2 miles from my truck. 265 Hornady reload. My family comes from Salt Prairie north of Grouard. Moose were everywhere in the 50's. Standard rifle Lee Enfield with Dominion heavy bullets, 215 gr I think.

My Uncle, a very fine hunter who fed the family during the depression and a carreer Forest Ranger used to say, I never shot a moose who didn't have at least 2 feet in the pickup box. I remember my father and uncles, covered in blood leading the team on halters with a moose strapped on thier backs and blood all over thier muzzles telling real war stories. Make any 8 year old want to be a hunter.