Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-03-2010, 02:46 PM

Default Bass Pro/Outdoor World Calgary experience

I went to the store a couple of times and couldn't get a price and felt ignored I was a little angry about the service so sent an email to tell them I would not be back.

Glen, the hunting manager contacted me and we had a refreshingly honest chat. He did not dodge the issue, took it on the chin, and was great to deal with.

In subsequent visits I noticed he did respond to some suggestions and his staff were much more service oriented. I have no vested interest in this except to say it was easy to bitch but always harder to acknowledge a good response and the willingness to listen. Big box stores are what they are but this manager responded, good luck for the same at Home Depot.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:42 PM

Actually now that you mention it.

I did get asked if I needed any help while I was looking at reloading stuff in there last weekend while we were down in Calgary visiting family. Since I was 'just looking' and didn't really need any help I didn't think anything of it at the time but now that you mention it I don't think it'd happened before.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:45 PM

I've been underwhelmed by Bass Pro. Not that they are terrible, just not the hunting nirvana many here predicted. They have some good stuff, and some good prices, but for the most part not enough for a guy like me in the far south to make the drive miles and miles past WSS. I see myself going to Bass Pro maybe once a year from here on out.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:57 PM

I've been visiting Bass Pro stores in the states for quite a few years and wasn't really surprised when they opened up and had shelves full of turkey calls and turkey choke tubes and such. Turkey hunting in Alberta isn't unheard of but it's far from common, at least it's not worth (IMO) dedicating that much space to the specialized equiptment need to hunt them anyway.

I've known Glen from years of dealing with him at Russel's and the store he worked at before that (who's names escapes me at the moment), he's a good guy and has many years in the industry, likes to BS, but he's earnest, and I think honest, he has my respect.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:07 PM

But if you need a turkey choke tube for your shotgun they have a VERY good selection, just a little tough to find and improved cylinder or cylinder choke.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0danger View Post
But if you need a turkey choke tube for your shotgun they have a VERY good selection, just a little tough to find and improved cylinder or cylinder choke.
Turkey's... or cylinder chokes..........
Old 11-04-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck Bob View Post
I went to the store a couple of times and couldn't get a price and felt ignored I was a little angry about the service so sent an email to tell them I would not be back.

Glen, the hunting manager contacted me and we had a refreshingly honest chat. He did not dodge the issue, took it on the chin, and was great to deal with.

In subsequent visits I noticed he did respond to some suggestions and his staff were much more service oriented. I have no vested interest in this except to say it was easy to bitch but always harder to acknowledge a good response and the willingness to listen. Big box stores are what they are but this manager responded, good luck for the same at Home Depot.
You can't really take it out on Bass Pro or their associates, they do the best they can with everything they have. People come in the expectation that each and every associate will know everything about:
> rifles
> calibers
> shotguns
> muzzle loaders
> archery
> reloading
> ammunition
> deer calls
> elk calls
> moose calls
> water fowling
> Duck and goose calls
> Decoys
> camo
> back packs/frame packs
> Air rifles/bb/pellet guns
> Air Soft guns
> Knives
> Scent elimination/cover scents
> Binoculars
> Scopes (incl. how to mount)
> Tree Stands

And that list is only stuff off the top of my head.

Its not that your expectations are too high, its that most people fail to realize how hard it is working under the conditions that most of their associates have too. No associate decides that today I am going to try to make this customers life hell today or to just not help them, and believe it or not, they really want to help you.

How many people are polite to the associates, even if they couldn't help you the way you wanted, or find that misc. item you were looking for... Not alot, and I know this because I work p/t in the hunting dept at Bass Pro. And that compounds through the day, and every associate there does try to help you, but if you are ignorant to the associate even if you don't mean to be, your not helping the situation.

I've been yelled at, insulted, demeaned, threatened, mocked, ignored, cursed at just for being the guy in the green shirt. Do you think that treating anybody like that is condusive to good customer service? do you think anybody would want to face customers after going through something like that, in public? And yet every person that works that dept. gets up shakes themselves off and asks you how your day is going and if you need any help.

There isn't one associate that knows everything about everything about hunting, and that isn't going to change anytime soon. Some people reload, some don't, some know shotguns and others know rifles, some are target shooters, others purely hunters. Their is alot to know and understand about hunting and to think that someone will know everything is a little... (fill in the blank)

The weeks leading up to the hunting season are usually jam packed and associates are busy, not to use that as an excuse. We can't sell a rifle we don't have in stock, or give you a price on a gun we don't sell, and we can't order one in on a rush that is back ordered in Canada. We can't make our ammunition shipments process faster at the border, nor can we garuntee when a out of stock item will come in, we can't and won't sell items that are not in the Bass Pro assortment, we can't stock everything that is online or in our catalogues, THE WEBSITE IS IN AMERICAN $. No body in a green shirt has any power over this, and yet they face the full brunt of it.

If you are polite and courteous to the associate, even though you may have had to wait a little while to get them you will get much better service from them, but if you are less than courteous to them, i don't see why you would think that they would want to subject themselves to your abuse (and don't give me "its their job" cr*p).

If an associate talked to you the way you talked to them, then you would get an idea of how difficult it is, if you were insulted by an associate, would you want to come back? If you were polite and courteous to the associate, would they not be polite and courteous back?

Glen is an outstanding Manager, and is really committed to providing the best possible customer service, even in the craziest of times. He will kill you with kindness. There are many other managers that are just as committed to customer service, including several behind the scenes managers that really make Bass Pro an enjoyable place to work.

For those of you that frequent Bass Pro, im pretty easy to find when I am working.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:44 PM

I have had nothing but good service from Bass Pro in the Flshing, hunting, and clothing departments. Last time I looked for choke tubes I found both the I/C and skeet choke that I was looking for.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I've been underwhelmed by Bass Pro. Not that they are terrible, just not the hunting nirvana many here predicted. They have some good stuff, and some good prices, but for the most part not enough for a guy like me in the far south to make the drive miles and miles past WSS. I see myself going to Bass Pro maybe once a year from here on out.
x2,grew up in okotoks,parents still live there,and it aint worth Fighting through the extra traffic to go to bass pro,unless I need a big ticket item,and it's a good deal at BPS,I aint going there.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B. View Post
I have had nothing but good service from Bass Pro in the Flshing, hunting, and clothing departments.
x2. I'll drive past WSS to go to BPS anytime.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 11-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Banned

Although I've noticed lately that it's absolute taboo to rant about WSS since they are a sponsor of this site, the service has improved. In fact, the service in my opinion, seems to be improving at all big box stores. Perhaps the rants that show up on Outdoorsmen and Gunnutz have somehow gotten to the right ears and as a result, their managements have taken steps to improve customer service. After all, if you can't "rant" on public discussion forums, where else are you going to voice satisfaction or dissatisfaction. Bottom line is, these discussion forums create a means for these outlets to create better customer relationship. I've never seen a 'feedback box" at any location. I'm of the opinion that these "rant" threads in fact do achieve something.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:21 PM

I want to make it clear, I initiated this thread because I was surprised by the open and honest response I got from Glen. My complaints are irrelevant, Glen agreed that I should be concerned and promised change and he is working to initiate a better experience for us shooters.

After my first visit I figured that thier purchaser was an American and stocked the store a liitle like a store that would suit Georgia a little more than Alberta. I'm sure Glen will get them educated in time. I didn't realize he had such extensive experience. He sure answered my questions about lefty bolts. I've actually had gun store clerks announce loudly noone makes them when there were 2 on display on the rack.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:30 AM

Bass Pro service is sort of okay in my mind. Don't shop there for two reasons, prefer to support local, and WS is working very hard to compete effectively. Their prices are generally better than Bass Pro on hte stuff I buy, though BP has very good prices on clothing and boots.

Second reason I don't shop there, 30 day return policy. Lots of stuff I buy I don't even use for much longer than that. Except for defective merchandise, they are very non-negotiable about the 30 days. Also, try to take a set of boots back without the origianl box, no chance in hell, even though there was no box when you bought them.

I say, support the local guys like P and D, Bashaw, Proline and even WS.

Last edited by Dean2; 11-05-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I say, support the local guys like P and D, Bashaw, Proline and even WS.
x2
Old 11-05-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B. View Post
I have had nothing but good service from Bass Pro in the Flshing, hunting, and clothing departments. Last time I looked for choke tubes I found both the I/C and skeet choke that I was looking for.
Great, I am glad we could help you out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
Glad to hear that, I am not going to knock wholesale because I have browsed their store more than a few times. But Bass Pro certainly has some amazing wildlife displays... certainly and experience and one of the reasons I like working there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck Bob View Post
I want to make it clear, I initiated this thread because I was surprised by the open and honest response I got from Glen. My complaints are irrelevant, Glen agreed that I should be concerned and promised change and he is working to initiate a better experience for us shooters.

After my first visit I figured that thier purchaser was an American and stocked the store a liitle like a store that would suit Georgia a little more than Alberta. I'm sure Glen will get them educated in time. I didn't realize he had such extensive experience. He sure answered my questions about lefty bolts. I've actually had gun store clerks announce loudly noone makes them when there were 2 on display on the rack.
Bob, like I said before Glen is an amazing manager. And Bass Pro always strives to give the very best experience to everyone, and feed back is always welcome, good and bad. And yes we did have some stocking issues in the beginning but the longer we are open the more the streamlined our assortment becomes.

FYI we are working on the left bolt issue, you can shoot me a pm if you have any questions.

Oh and anybody that wants to see Santa early he arrives at Bass Pro tomorrow (Nov 6).
Old 11-06-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
X2, If I'm headed to Calgary, I'll go out of my way to avoid Wholesale Sports if there is another option. Recently, my trips to the city have been cut to 20% of the visits of what they were a few years back.

http://www.ferniergc.com/