Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-10-2010, 01:38 PM

Default mauser98k or mosin nagant 91/30?

anyone here hunt with a mauser98k (karabiner 98 kurz) or a mosin nagant 91/30. both open sights.

which one should i buy for deer hunting and why?
Old 10-10-2010, 01:56 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

I've enjoyed my Moisin, simple design and very reliable as well as accurate and hard hitting. The other gun you've mentioned I've never fired so I can't really compare the two against one another. The only thing I don't like about the Moisin is the safety on it, pick on up and set the safety and then disengage it and you'll see what I mean.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by open sights View Post
anyone here hunt with a mauser98k (karabiner 98 kurz) or a mosin nagant 91/30. both open sights.

which one should i buy for deer hunting and why?

I prefer the Mauser, I have had lots of them in 8x57.
I have also had several Israeli Mausers in 7.62 (308 Win).
My most recent K98 is a Norwegian barrelled K98 in 30-06.
The 8x57 amo will probably be easier to find at Crappy Tire, if you find an Israeli 7.62 Mauser, ammo will be everywhere.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:05 PM

thanks both
Old 10-10-2010, 10:36 PM

Default Norwegian K98

303carbine, what is the finish like on your Norwegian K98? Mine has a crappy-looking and patchy varnish on it and I'm wondering if it is the Norwegian finish. They did varnish the stocks, but I would expect their work to be better, which makes me wonder if this is a bubba job.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:06 AM

Mauser all the way!
The Nagant is not as good a rifle for hunting IMO, simply because of the cartridge it is chambered in, the safety, and the bolt system ......
Cat
Old 10-11-2010, 12:40 PM

thanks all! i think ill go for the mauser, but once i get enuf cash ill buy the nagant as well (im planning on starting an old gun collection)
Old 10-11-2010, 07:43 PM

Default M48

I bought an M48 Yugo MAuser from Marstar about 4 years ago and have used it exclusively for deer hunting. It is heavy to haul around and the trigger pull is quite heavy but it is a laser. I sighted it in once and every year the test shot for accuracy is done and it is always bang on, the best $199 I have spent.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:27 AM

Default old war guns

i have both and handload them both because the factory ammo you buy herre is underpowered. the mauser is from 1939 swastika and everything and ive put a replica ww2 german war scope and mount on it , but its too nice of a rifle to take in the bush, heavy too. mine will only shoot 150 gr bullets as well. the moison nagant is my bush gun , carbine 1944 model with hammer and sickle ive loaded 220 gr bear busters with it for justin. 2260 is velocity so not ideal but better than a 30-30 for hiking in the mountains. there is a safety factor too though , if you hike with a round chambered like i do the MN is messed up you pull back the bolt and twist it to lock it which is extremely unpleasent and i dont do it cause by then youll be bear food. you dont have to have one chambered though but feeding is sometimes an issue and i have to slap/slam the bolt shut sometimes. they are both control fed so they are both more reliable in a dangerous game situation. for deer hunting or something either one would be good i guess. the 98k is heavy though but factory ammo is wimpy
Old 11-06-2010, 08:33 AM

Buy a REAL hunting rifle and save the other two, for your collection. I think if I had to go with the Nagant, I'd find a M 38 carbine. Nice handy little piece and doesn't have that awkward folding bayonet of the 44.

Grizz
Old 11-06-2010, 09:07 AM

For a deer gun, like Cat says "Mauser all they way".

Wolf308, if you have to SLAP/SLAM that baby, controlled feed or not, that is not the rig I would be using for dangerous game, until I had it feeding smooth as silk. A Thuddy thuddy that feeds well would be a better bear gun, and a short barreled Marlin 45-70 would be better than either for that job.