Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-06-2010, 11:05 AM

Default Something I'd like to see

In the last several years we have seen the production of the Lever Evolution cartridge designed for the 30-30. A really good design for a common gun that benefitted from a bullet that now shoots a little flatter, a little faster and does an adequate job of taking down deer at reasonable yardages... Perhaps out to 200 yards.

Now what I would like to see developed off of the 30-30 case is a lever evolution for the 7-30 Waters (where the most common load is usually at 140 grains).

In addition to that, I would like to see the development of three more developments off of the 30-30 case with the lever evolution in mind.

I would like to see a 277-30 with (130 grain bullet), 264-30 with (120 grain bullet), and a 25-30 with a (110 grain bullet).

My rationale is create a series of center-fire, flatter shooting, easy handling, easy to tote and acceptable recoil for younger hunters and possibly woman who may take up hunting. Naturally we would all have the opportunity to try these new cartridges out on deer sized animals.

What do you think...?
Old 11-06-2010, 11:16 AM

cool but doubt the market will handle all the variations? they probably went with the ones they're going to go with, and thats it. there is tons of research done before products hit the market. im sure its been looked at and trashed.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Banned

Your ideas are far to practical to achieve any comercial success. Just look at how the 270 and 300 wsm became succesfull while the 338 federal and 350 remington mag remain obscure. I agree that the rounds you propose would probably be very good deer hunting rounds but they would probably have about as much success as the 7-30 waters had the first time around.

Personaly I think the .270-30 would have the most chance of survival. The 7-30 has already failed, the 6.5 rounds have never done well in north america, and I cant see how a .25 round that is less balisticly exciting than the pretty much defunct Roberts would catch on.

Last edited by Cal; 11-06-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:06 PM

I doubt that any of those variations would be a commercial success,since lever actions as a whole are dwindling in popularity.

Quote:
My rationale is create a series of center-fire, flatter shooting, easy handling, easy to tote and acceptable recoil for younger hunters and possibly woman who may take up hunting.
Younger hunters or women have plenty of light weight,light recoil,flat shooting rifles to choose from,an example of which would be the Model 7 in 7mm-08.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:49 PM

Default Something I'd like to see

Yea, the reason why I made the suggestion(s) of a series of 30-30 based cartridges is that while a lot of new / young shooters read all the hype on all the "big" rifles, sometimes, as a starting point som of the higher powered cartridges may be a tad heavy on the recoil department. I've used a lot of guns of different calibers an generally find that a gun that produces less recoil is easier to shoot.

I've seen far to many beginners try a 300 WSM and such and it's not too difficult to develop a flinch. And a flinch can have the nasty effect of pulling the gun off of the intended zone.

With the lighter bullets that are smaller in diameter and less grain, would shoot flatter out to a little longer yardages when needed.

In time a younger person or possibly a woman hunter, after getting comfortable with the 30-30 direviatives may move up to something with a little more umph...!

I honed my shooting accuracy with a pellet gun, then a 22. And as I got older moved up to "bigger" guns. At one time I considered a 30-30 to be a "powerful" gun.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:46 PM

as for a 25-30 it wuold be about the same as the 25-35 win. a good 100 yard dog gun not realy a good deer gun
Old 11-07-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrambler View Post

I would like to see a 277-30 with (130 grain bullet), 264-30 with (120 grain bullet), and a 25-30 with a (110 grain bullet).
They have all been built many times by various wildcatters over the years. They just don't catch on.