Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Banned

Default OMG - I'm going "unleaded"

I was having such a great time shooting my 120gr Nosler BT's that I shot them all. Those were my hunting loads for the 7mm-08. So the store had none in stock. Not wanting to leave empty handed (the affliction) I purchased some Barnes 120gr TSX's. Checking on Barnes' web site, it looks like RL15 is the go to powder, I have a pound of it. Just wondering on feedback from you guys with experience in with these bullets as good deer rounds.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:31 PM

I've killed about 7 deer over the last 3 years with TSX bullets, out of a .270 Wby and my .280 Rem. None ran more than 20 yards with most being bang...flops. Only thing I found is when they say triple shock, they mean SHOCK. I made the mistake of loading my .270 Wby a bit too hot with them and ended up with a bit more bloodshot meat than the norm for me, and I mean bloodshot in an off shoulder without the bullet hitting it. I toned it down a couple hundred fps and problem solved.

I like the TTSX as well in my .280 and will also be giving them a go in the 2 new additions to my safe, a .338 Federal and a .25-06, once my dies arrive.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:36 PM

Default tsx

I've used them in my .257wthby and they hang together only mushrooming alittle,which seemed to work good on larger game,normally going straight though small critters,placed right gets your kill and doesn't destroy the animal.
IMO I like them but lean towards a nosler partition. My 2 cents.
slater
Old 10-22-2010, 08:41 PM
Banned

^^^^ no doubt that partitions would have been my choice. But unavailability prevailed and I said "what the heck" I'll give this unleaded choice a try. The Barnes TSX's are a first for me, I've held on to more traditional bullets like Interlocks, Grand Slams, and Partitions like a pit bull, time for some change I guess as dictated by availabilty.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:50 PM

I have shot partitions for as long as i can remember.Last year with the coaxing of my hunting partners i tried the tsx. Accuracy was amazing from the get go. first load i tried grouped 3/4". I shot my first deer with them in september. Worked very well. I will use them for the rest of this season and anticipate good results so long as i do my part.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:19 AM

I have used the 120gr TSX in the 7mm-08 & 7mm WSM. Quite accurate and worked fine. I used Varget in both (7mm WSM was a light load).

RL15 should be good. There are several others in the Barnes Book that are all in the 3000fps+ range.

Start with them seated about .03" - .05" of the lands.

Good luck, think you will like them.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:55 AM

I have been very pleased with both the accuracy,and the performance on game,with the TSX,and the TTSX.I have had the best luck seating them around .050" off of the lands.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:58 AM

I have 120's TTSX loaded with Re15 out of a 7mm-08, its accurate at 0.050" off the lands.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:01 AM

I loaded them in my 7/08 last year and flattened 2 mulies. One was out past 300 yards. This was the 120 grain TSX.

That makes 5 calibres now that I am loading them for. I am a firm believer in these pills. They all respond the same way. When you hear them hit an animal it is like a hammer smacking a 2x4.

I find they like to be driven fast. At least for me. I tend to find the groups shrink when I push them fast and seat them out 60 or 70 thou off the lands.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:31 AM

I have been convinced on the TSX since they first brought them out. I have never found one in an animal but my BIL has. Both were perfect like the pictures. They need over 2000fps to open up but so do the Hornady and Nosler unleadeds. Soon all your guns will be shooting them. HaHa

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 10-23-2010, 10:08 AM

Thumbs down Barnes

Barnes are great for Target shooting in our Rifles because they are accurate bullets,however We dont like useing them for hunting.We tryed them one year and had bad experiences with them.

The Nosler B\T,Partition & Accubond are all we use.

The Nosler B\T is my Personal Favorite,with exit wounds that have holes bigger than the size of a GrapeFruit,No TSX can do that,they dont expand enough,they're to much like a Full Metal Jacket.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
No TSX can do that,they dont expand enough,they're to much like a Full Metal Jacket.
Does this compare to a full metal jacket?It is a 180gr .308 bullet recovered from an elk.It expanded to .800".

Old 10-23-2010, 11:10 AM

Experience has a way of dispelling most limited theory. Here is the latest two of dozens of victims of the TSX that I have witnessed being shot. Neither took a step and both sustained massive internal damage. The Elk with the 130 .277 TSX and the Pronghorn with the 120 .284 TSX.

-Billy Molls
Old 10-23-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Barnes are great for Target shooting in our Rifles because they are accurate bullets,however We dont like useing them for hunting.We tryed them one year and had bad experiences with them.

The Nosler B\T,Partition & Accubond are all we use.

The Nosler B\T is my Personal Favorite,with exit wounds that have holes bigger than the size of a GrapeFruit,No TSX can do that,they dont expand enough,they're to much like a Full Metal Jacket.
And no Nosler BT can get the penetration or the consistent exit wounds that a TSX has. Its a compromise between the two. Some prefer a bullet that rapidly expands but wont penetrate as far. Some prefer a bullet that will penetrate and wont rapidly expand.

I'll personally take a TSX any day of the week...amazing penetration, and NOTHING like a FMJ. Devestation of the organs is crazy, and confident bone-crushing shots are okay with me.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:27 AM

So far all I have shot with my 7mm-08 and TSX 140's was a decent sized black bear and a coyote and paper.

I tried Nosler Part and the accuracy was not comparable.

The TSX is a damn fine round and my hope is that it finds it's way into a few deer and a moose before my season ends...

The load I am using is 38.5gr RL19, CCI primers and just off the lands.

I am expecting to do up some Varget next month..

I was sold on these bullets by two people, one from this site who had a great deal of experience with them and will use the 120's on Elk. The other is from CGN and hunts in BC.
After trying them myself,..these guys knew what they were talking about.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:22 PM

Wink Ttsx

Of the last 20 boxes of component bullets to follow me home, 19 have been Barnes TTSX in several calibers. If they made A .204 cal TTSX it would have been a clean sweep. YMMV.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:08 PM

I am thinking of trying them in my 7mm rem mag . Anybody using them in the same caliber? thoughts?
Old 10-23-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1 View Post
I am thinking of trying them in my 7mm rem mag . Anybody using them in the same caliber? thoughts?
I've seen them used in everything from a 25-06 up to a 338WM. I run the 140 TTSX in my 7-08AI and would run it in a 7RM or a 7WSM, etc with zero issues. A guy could also go to the 150TTSX if you wanted.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I use the 140gr TSX,TTSX,and MRX, in my 280AI,7mmremmag,and 7mmstw.They work great.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:50 PM
Banned

Loaded up some test loads today as per Barnes recommendation. Started with 41gr of RL15, 42.5 and 44gr. RP virgin brass and CCI200 primers. Primers were the only deviation from Barnes Fed210 primers. Seated .050" from lands and the 44gr charge provides best result. Two touching & one flyer by 1.5". MV was 3020 gps (120gr TSX). Yes, I do think that I'll hunt with these, kinda late to switch now.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I use the 140gr TSX,TTSX,and MRX, in my 280AI,7mmremmag,and 7mmstw.They work great.
TTSX ? what's the difference? compared to a tsx? I would like to go to a heavier grain than I'm using like a 150 or 160 but I've heard the length of the bullet can be an issue when using the tsx because it's solid copper and needs to be longer to get the wieght
Old 10-23-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
TTSX ? what's the difference? compared to a tsx? I would like to go to a heavier grain than I'm using like a 150 or 160 but I've heard the length of the bullet can be an issue when using the tsx because it's solid copper and needs to be longer to get the wieght

TTSX is Tipped TSX so it has a polymer tip, like an Accubond or Nosler BT. Under the polymer tip is pretty much the same constructed bullet except I believe the nose cavity is a bit deeper to accomodate the tip to be inset.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
I have killed many deer,elk,moose,pronghorn,and bighorn with 140gr bullets out of the various 7mms.If using the TSX,MRX,or TTSX,you certainly don't need a heavier bullet for any of those species.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
The TTSX expand at lower velocity, down to around 1800 fps because they have a larger nose cavity to accept the plastic tip. They also typically have a higher ballistic coefficient than the TSX. The TSX expand down to 2000 fps.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
^^^^ no doubt that partitions would have been my choice. But unavailability prevailed and I said "what the heck" I'll give this unleaded choice a try. The Barnes TSX's are a first for me, I've held on to more traditional bullets like Interlocks, Grand Slams, and Partitions like a pit bull, time for some change I guess as dictated by availabilty.

If you want Partitions, you'll have to move up to 140 grains since Nosler dosn't make a 120 grain Partition in 7mm, Ballistic tip only.

I've found TSX's to be very acurate but possibly over kill on deer sized game due to body size. Elk and Mosse for sure though.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:55 AM

good info, thank you, sorry for the highjack gitrdone . I'm not switching this year ,too late now . When I use up mt BTs I think it'll be unleaded for me as well
Old 10-24-2010, 09:03 AM
Banned

No problem whatsoever Ben, when a thead provides informative info for others like yourself, then it's all good.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps View Post
The TTSX expand at lower velocity, down to around 1800 fps because they have a larger nose cavity to accept the plastic tip. They also typically have a higher ballistic coefficient than the TSX. The TSX expand down to 2000 fps.

I hear this statement all the time and I am not sure where it comes from. Here is a copy of a reply I received from Barnes on this.

Hi Todd,

We test primarily in water and in some cases we have found that tissue may actually cause the bullets to expand at lower impact velocities. Especially with regard to the TTSX bullet design. The .308 cal 130gr TSX is tested at 1800fps and the TTSX version at 2000fps. The 7mm 120gr TSX is tested at 1800fps and the TTSX at 2000fps.

Thanks,

Ty Herring | Customer Service Lead Tech

Barnes Bullets, LLC

38 North Frontage Road, PO Box 620, Mona, UT 84645
Phone: 435-856-1000 | Direct Line: 435-856-1105 | Fax: 435-856-1040
Old 11-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Banned

Default Field report

I'd like to clear the air by saying that standard "leaded" bullets have always been my go to projectile. Never gave much attention to all the hype about the X-bullets. These ones, I purchased as a necessity, not a want. But on opening day, I shot two WT does for the BBQ. And, I'd like to report that the bullets performed flawlessly, both animals were dispatched immediately. In fact the first doe was under 100 yds, shot her just behind the crease of the front leg. When hit, she launched skyward, dropped back to land and it was all done but the crying. The second one was running full tilt away from me. At about 200 yds, I settled the crosshair on the back of her head. I didn't hit my intended target, but let's leave at the fact that she was dusted and meat damage was nil. I haven't recovered any bullets yet, so I can't comment on weight retention and all that jazz, but two does that were shot within sight of grain bins are going to be awefully good tasting.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I haven't recovered any bullets yet, so I can't comment on weight retention and all that jazz, but two does that were shot within sight of grain bins are going to be awefully good tasting.
Bullet staying inside, expanding , not expanding, shooting through, who cares ,as long as it's a "bang-flop" it's all good!! ) grin)
Cat